Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2011 :  18:00:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Circumcisions is mutilation. Unlike the mutilations of tattoos and piercings, the subject seldom has a choice.

Oh, and describing disgusting and unprofessional behavior as exactly that can scarcely be called hysterical. I'd call it as telling it as it is. Sadly, it is not limited to NC local media.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

alienist
Skeptic Friend

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2011 :  18:32:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send alienist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
there are plenty of places that practice female genital mutilation and it is barbaric. It is done to make sure that the girl is "pure" when she marries. Three is a practice where they cut off the clitoris and labia minora and then sew the labia marjora together to creat a small opening. This ensures that there is evidence the woman has not had sex before her marriage. Men of course don't have to worry about being "pure."

Female circumcision is still about opressing women, making sure they can't enjoy sex.

So these issues should be shouted about and brought out into the open. So, OFFC, you wouldn't be so cavalier if you took the time to read about male and female circumcision. Oh, yea, and stop being a "dick."

The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well! - Joe Ancis
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2011 :  02:33:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's all moot now. Brewer, the AZ buzzkill governor, has vetoed the bill. And we were having such fun with it.
Legislation that requires presidential candidates to prove they are natural born American citizens before their names can appear on the Arizona ballot was vetoed by the state's Republican governor on Monday.

"I never imagined being presented with a bill that could require candidates for President of the greatest and most powerful nation on earth to submit their 'early baptismal or circumcision certificates,'" Governor Jan Brewer said. "This is a bridge too far. This measure creates significant new problems while failing to do anything constructive for Arizona."

But not to worry; AZ's not going anywhere and I'm sure they'll come up something else equally ridiculous soon. It is my understanding that Donald Trump, semi-candidate and bankruptcy aficionado, is visiting the state. He'll know what to do.

Edited to add link.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 04/19/2011 03:59:35
Go to Top of Page

Machi4velli
SFN Regular

USA
854 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2011 :  20:06:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Machi4velli a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All penis certificates and silly attempts to invalidate Obama aside, is it such a bad thing to require a birth certificate be verified for a presidential candidate? It doesn't need to be released to the public, but just verified by some third party. I mean for congressional positions, I believe candidates have to prove they've lived in their district long enough to their state.

"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people."
-Giordano Bruno

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, but the illusion of knowledge."
-Stephen Hawking

"Seeking what is true is not seeking what is desirable"
-Albert Camus
Edited by - Machi4velli on 04/19/2011 20:06:24
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2011 :  03:43:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Machi4velli

All penis certificates and silly attempts to invalidate Obama aside, is it such a bad thing to require a birth certificate be verified for a presidential candidate? It doesn't need to be released to the public, but just verified by some third party. I mean for congressional positions, I believe candidates have to prove they've lived in their district long enough to their state.

I don't have any problem with it. Indeed, I never gave it any thought until just recently because it's never before been an issue. I was under the impression that all of this was taken care of before the candidate started running.

Brings up a question; exactly what would the imbecilic birthers accept as proof of natural citizenship? Probably nothing; they have their cause and would be loath to put away their silly signs and give it up. Were Obama to comply with their every demand, they would find something else to whine about. I think they’re addicted the unwarranted attention given them by the media, and the AZ bill, nonsensical and hilarious as it was, is icing on the turd.

Early on, they had a certain amusement value but now it's getting a little old. The AZ bill was a welcome break in the advancing ennui.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2011 :  11:10:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

It's all moot now. Brewer, the AZ buzzkill governor, has vetoed the bill. And we were having such fun with it.
Legislation that requires presidential candidates to prove they are natural born American citizens before their names can appear on the Arizona ballot was vetoed by the state's Republican governor on Monday.

"I never imagined being presented with a bill that could require candidates for President of the greatest and most powerful nation on earth to submit their 'early baptismal or circumcision certificates,'" Governor Jan Brewer said. "This is a bridge too far. This measure creates significant new problems while failing to do anything constructive for Arizona."

But not to worry; AZ's not going anywhere and I'm sure they'll come up something else equally ridiculous soon. It is my understanding that Donald Trump, semi-candidate and bankruptcy aficionado, is visiting the state. He'll know what to do.

Edited to add link.

If it's too crazy for that crazy bitch, you know its out there in fucking loonytoon territory for sure.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Machi4velli
SFN Regular

USA
854 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2011 :  22:17:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Machi4velli a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy
I don't have any problem with it. Indeed, I never gave it any thought until just recently because it's never before been an issue. I was under the impression that all of this was taken care of before the candidate started running.

Same here, I just sort of assumed they already did have to prove it, so fixing a loophole can't really hurt.

"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people."
-Giordano Bruno

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, but the illusion of knowledge."
-Stephen Hawking

"Seeking what is true is not seeking what is desirable"
-Albert Camus
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.