Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2011 :  08:41:18  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seems an evangelical sheriff in Catalanky, a state I rather like, most of the time anyway, is giving the inmates in his jail only the Bible for reading material. No magazines or newspapers, no other books, no correspondence courses. Nothing but King James (the difference between this version and any other escapes me).
WASHINGTON (AFP) – The US Department of Justice has filed a complaint against a South Carolina sheriff for letting one of his prisons bar inmates from reading anything but the Bible.

In the complaint filed this week in a Charleston court, the Justice Department said requests by numerous inmates at Berkeley County Detention Center for everything from correspondence course materials and magazines to legal newsletters have been denied by the office of Sheriff H. Wayne DeWitt.

"Indeed, the only book, magazine, newspaper or religious publication that defendants consistently permit prisoners to possess is the Bible," the complaint read.

Prison officers even hand out King James Bibles for free to prisoners, but a Jewish prisoner who asked for a Torah and two Muslim inmates who requested copies of the Koran were told they could only have them if family members personally delivered the holy books to the jail.

When one of the Muslim inmates arranged for his girlfriend to bring a Koran to the prison, the sheriff's office refused to pass it on to the prisoner.

Sweet, eh? Sheriff Joe and this DeWitt pigfucker make a good pair.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2011 :  11:19:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Solution: If you want to read something other than the Bible. Don't get thrown in jail in Catalanky. I find it somewhat hard to be disgusted by the reading material or lack thereof of some inmates. I have so many other things to be outraged about at the moment.

Edited by - On fire for Christ on 04/17/2011 11:23:54
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2011 :  11:52:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Something more important than religious freedom?
Or blatant violation of the constitution?

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 04/17/2011 11:53:12
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2011 :  11:58:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They have the freedom to not read anything. And The constitution of the United States to me is just a piece of paper in some foreign country. I don't care.

Edited by - On fire for Christ on 04/17/2011 11:59:10
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2011 :  12:15:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by On fire for Christ

They have the freedom to not read anything.
Yeah, screw rehabilitation and education. It's not like the inmates are going to ever be productive members of society after serving time. So they can either get good with the One True God or just rot in their cells.
And The constitution of the United States to me is just a piece of paper in some foreign country. I don't care.
So if you ever visit the U.S., you won't care if your rights are violated. Good to know.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2011 :  12:29:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry Dave I'm too busy being outraged at whoever's rights were violated by the crimes those people committed in the first place. Maybe in the holidays, if I have time, I'll be outraged by this, perhaps even enough to post it online somewhere and do nothing else about it.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2011 :  12:35:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Sorry Dave I'm too busy being outraged at whoever's rights were violated by the crimes those people committed in the first place.
Oh, I see. You can't spare the brain cells to be outraged at both. (How many inmates are there for simple possession, by the way?)
Maybe in the holidays, if I have time, I'll be outraged by this, perhaps even enough to post it online somewhere and do nothing else about it.
Well, considering that's what you're doing for the victims of the North Carolina tornadoes, it fits your M.O. quite well.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2011 :  12:55:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can't spare the brain cells to be outraged at both.

No I find it better to focus my rage on a few things at a time, so it does not become too diluted.

Well, considering that's what you're doing for the victims of the North Carolina tornadoes, it fits your M.O. quite well.

Well I could always make some topics about that too, if you think it will help.

Edited by - On fire for Christ on 04/17/2011 13:00:26
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2011 :  13:22:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Well I could always make some topics about that too, if you think it will help.
No, you've already done nothing but comment about the NC victims on the Internet, and told us that your intention is to do nothing more. You don't need to repeat yourself.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2011 :  13:25:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On the contrary, I told you my intention was to pray.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2011 :  13:29:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

On the contrary, I told you my intention was to pray.
Yes, your intention is to do nothing that can make a difference to the victims.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2011 :  13:38:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ask the victims if they want people to pray for them. Then tell me it's nothing.

Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2011 :  14:07:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Ask the victims if they want people to pray for them. Then tell me it's nothing.

How's that saying go....'One pair of working hands does far more than a million (or was it a billion) praying hands.'

One could donate to American Red Cross or the like to go beyond the pray/send-good-mojo or the like.

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2011 :  17:21:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just don't know! I see two conflicts here. I'm not a Theist, maybe a theist here would care to comment, probably not. How can one be sure to know which Deity, God/s or Goddess/es to pray to? Which one is up to the task of actually answering the prayers, in this case? With the list for different religions and beliefs there are thousands of candidates if there's one. Praying to just any false Idol has surly got to be a waste of time. If one prays to that which does not really exist, where could the benefits come from?

Then there's a completely different problem for Christians who pick and choose which one of Jesus' teachings they care to practice today or on any day. In Matthew 6:5-8, Jesus made it clear that he wanted people to pray in private and not be a hypocrite.
Quote link.
"And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men."

The quote above came from the link provided, which is just one of 35+ Bible quotes on this Mathew 6:5 part. I see that everyone of them use the term "hypocrite/s" addressing praying and the publicity of.
I won't say if I'm going to pray for these people but if I were to and pray to Jesus, I would obey Jesus' own words (teachings) and keep it private and not have him see he as a hypocrite. SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

alienist
Skeptic Friend

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2011 :  18:40:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send alienist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
they have done too many studies abotu prayer and medicine. It turns out, prayer does nothing for patients. In fact cardiac patients did worse if they knew someone was praying for them.

The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well! - Joe Ancis
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2011 :  23:21:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

That you and the victims might share a delusion doesn't mean you're accomplishing anything by praying.

Besides, false hope is worse than no hope at all.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.05 seconds.