Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2011 :  14:07:01  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Outside of Barnham & Baily, seldom has a clown show looked so high-freakin’-larious. Lessee, thus far, we have Gingrich's serial phlandering, Pawlenty the rapist enabler, Romney of the magical Mormon skivvies, Palin's T&A, Giuliani of 9/11 fame who won’t shut up about it, Bachman's bedlamite fantasies, and not to mention those playing coy such as Christie of NJ and that teabagger oaf currently governing FL. Then there's Herman Cain, who can't tell the difference between the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence. Or maybe like most GOP nitwits, he doesn’t care. But I’ll be kind and state that he just needs some American History lessons.

Republican 2012 presidential candidate Herman Cain mixed up the Constitution with the Declaration of Independence during his campaign announcement. The gaffe was particularly embarrassing because it occurred while Cain was lecturing Americans on the need to “re-read” the Constitution.

“We don’t need to rewrite the Constitution of the United States of America, we need to reread the Constitution and enforce the Constitution,” Cain said. “And I know that there are some people that are not going to do that, so for the benefit of those that are not going to read it because they don’t want us to go by the Constitution, there’s a little section in there that talks about life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.”

“Because that’s when it says when any form of government becomes destructive of those ideals, it is the right of the people to alter or abolish it,” he added.

What a splendid episode of low, Republican comedy is being prepared for our entertainment! But of course, most of the Democrats are only a little less imbecilic, to be fair about it, but contrary to the desperate hopes of the afore-mentioned Republican whackaloons and some Democrap squirrel bait, I don't see Obama getting any sort of a serious primary challenge. A pity realty; that too would be fun to watch.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2011 :  15:23:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As bad as that gaff is, I don't think it will hurt Cain's candidacy in any big way. Most people are too stupid. They either won't notice or hear about the gaff, or they'll excuse it as an easy mistake to make and no big deal. Most people just don't understand the profound differences between those two documents. All most people think is that they are founding father documents used to help found this nation.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2011 :  15:39:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by marfknox

As bad as that gaff is, I don't think it will hurt Cain's candidacy in any big way. Most people are too stupid. They either won't notice or hear about the gaff, or they'll excuse it as an easy mistake to make and no big deal. Most people just don't understand the profound differences between those two documents. All most people think is that they are founding father documents used to help found this nation.
Yeah. But they're starting to add up.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

alienist
Skeptic Friend

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2011 :  18:17:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send alienist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is all adding up but not fast enough. A lot of republicans are trying to take the country back to the 18th century when there were no unions, no safe abortions for women or birth control. I think they want all women to be barefoot and pregnant. It is all so alarming.

The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well! - Joe Ancis
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2011 :  09:27:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

Outside of Barnham & Baily, seldom has a clown show looked so high-freakin’-larious. Lessee, thus far, we have Gingrich's serial phlandering, Pawlenty the rapist enabler, Romney of the magical Mormon skivvies, Palin's T&A, Giuliani of 9/11 fame who won’t shut up about it, Bachman's bedlamite fantasies, and not to mention those playing coy such as Christie of NJ and that teabagger oaf currently governing FL. Then there's Herman Cain, who can't tell the difference between the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence. Or maybe like most GOP nitwits, he doesn’t care. But I’ll be kind and state that he just needs some American History lessons.

Republican 2012 presidential candidate Herman Cain mixed up the Constitution with the Declaration of Independence during his campaign announcement. The gaffe was particularly embarrassing because it occurred while Cain was lecturing Americans on the need to “re-read” the Constitution.

“We don’t need to rewrite the Constitution of the United States of America, we need to reread the Constitution and enforce the Constitution,” Cain said. “And I know that there are some people that are not going to do that, so for the benefit of those that are not going to read it because they don’t want us to go by the Constitution, there’s a little section in there that talks about life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.”

“Because that’s when it says when any form of government becomes destructive of those ideals, it is the right of the people to alter or abolish it,” he added.

What a splendid episode of low, Republican comedy is being prepared for our entertainment! But of course, most of the Democrats are only a little less imbecilic, to be fair about it, but contrary to the desperate hopes of the afore-mentioned Republican whackaloons and some Democrap squirrel bait, I don't see Obama getting any sort of a serious primary challenge. A pity realty; that too would be fun to watch.

Obama automatically gets the nomination if he decides to run again (which he has), doesn't he?

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2011 :  10:45:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dude

Obama automatically gets the nomination if he decides to run again (which he has), doesn't he?
Being the incumbent Democratic President in good standing, they will still have a convention and go through the motions but Yes. All of Filth's comments are on Republican candidates. Those Obama might run against. SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2011 :  11:11:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I asked this sort of question years ago on the Straight Dope Message Boards.

The Democratic National Convention will still occur, and Obama needs to be re-nominated and re-confirmed as the Democratic candidate. It is possible that he might do something incredibly stupid between now and then as to drive all Dems nuts, and force them to nominate someone else, but it's not likely.

It's never happened at a national level, but it has happened at the state level. If I remember correctly (but vaguely), a state legislator in Illinois was involved in a scandal back in the 1970s and his own party rejected him and nominated someone else, despite his loudly stated intention to run for re-election.

There's nothing in the Constitution which gives any special consideration to incumbents during elections, since elections are how we're supposed to take out the trash.

And, of course, if the Dems were to toss Obama out next summer, he could still run for re-election. No party affiliation is needed to become President, either.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2011 :  11:35:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

I asked this sort of question years ago on the Straight Dope Message Boards.

The Democratic National Convention will still occur, and Obama needs to be re-nominated and re-confirmed as the Democratic candidate. It is possible that he might do something incredibly stupid between now and then as to drive all Dems nuts, and force them to nominate someone else, but it's not likely.

It's never happened at a national level, but it has happened at the state level. If I remember correctly (but vaguely), a state legislator in Illinois was involved in a scandal back in the 1970s and his own party rejected him and nominated someone else, despite his loudly stated intention to run for re-election.

There's nothing in the Constitution which gives any special consideration to incumbents during elections, since elections are how we're supposed to take out the trash.

And, of course, if the Dems were to toss Obama out next summer, he could still run for re-election. No party affiliation is needed to become President, either.
Ted Kennedy ran against Jimmy Carter for the nomination while Carter was still in office. I remember his complaining about Carter's unwillingness to debate with him. Carter said he was too busy dealing with things like the Iran hostage crisis to actively campaign in the primaries. It happens... Usually, it's not a good idea for the party to look divided that way. So it's not done often.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2011 :  14:56:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kil, I wasn't impressed with the Palestinian right to return gaff either. I agree with this guy:
Nonsense, writes Jim Geraghty over at Campaign Spot. "The idea that he’s committed some sort of epic gaffe ... strikes me as pretty weak tea." He continues: "Most Americans don’t pay much attention to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict," and Republicans heavily favor the Israelis anyway, so even though the left is tearing into Cain, it's likely the 'gaffe' "will not cost Cain a single vote."

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Edited by - marfknox on 05/26/2011 14:57:06
Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2011 :  16:46:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by alienist

It is all adding up but not fast enough. A lot of republicans are trying to take the country back to the 18th century when there were no unions, no safe abortions for women or birth control. I think they want all women to be barefoot and pregnant. It is all so alarming.

If I were an American woman I would be arming myself heavily. And no, I'm not joking.

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2011 :  16:47:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Meh. It doesn't really matter to me, Marf. To tell you the truth, I'm enjoying the show. Unless the jobless rate does Obama in, I think the Republicans have damaged themselves so badly that I can't see a way for them to win. In fact I see how the Dems could win back the house. And do it easily. Boy, I bet the house wishes they could have that Ryan vote as a do-over. The same Tea Party that played on the fears of many regular folks out there is now scaring the hell out of them. We just picked up a seat that we never would have gotten if it weren't the house budget vote and their defense of it.

Rush's ratings have dropped by 30%.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2011 :  06:19:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I understand that Palin is doing a 'round the country bus tour, starting in Iowa (where else?). That's a pretty good sign that she's planning to toss her lid into the ring, and, if she holds true to form, it will shortly be followed by her towel.

As things stand now, whoever gets the R nomination will find him/herself being used as Obama's holystone before it's over.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2011 :  06:30:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't be positive, Kil. The stakes are too high, and both parties have shifted so far to the Right, I just can't even be truly hopeful or light about politics anymore. Not to say I'm not happy about backlash now against the Tea Party. But honestly, that's the LEAST I could have hoped for. This country has gone insane.

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2011 :  07:13:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by marfknox

I can't be positive, Kil. The stakes are too high, and both parties have shifted so far to the Right, I just can't even be truly hopeful or light about politics anymore. Not to say I'm not happy about backlash now against the Tea Party. But honestly, that's the LEAST I could have hoped for. This country has gone insane.
I know what you mean, Marf. But it's not as though we have Bernie Sanders to vote for. Wouldn't that be nice!

But here's the thing. We don't know how much more shifting to the right the Dems are going to do, if any. But we (and apparently their now ex supporters) do know what we will get if people like Ryan and those who are playing lip service to his budget actually take control of both houses and the presidency. All we have to do is to look over at Wisconsin and Michigan to see that model. The good news is that the Ryan budget and what's going on in those states are exactly what is turning people off to the more radical goals of the Republicans now. They HAVE gone crazy. My guess is that with the Republicans so much on the defensive, we can gain some lost territory closer to the center. I'm pretty sure that's the best we can reasonably hope for. Bummer, eh? But that's how it is.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2011 :  08:43:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

We don't know how much more shifting to the right the Dems are going to do, if any.
The Democrats have become the Republicans from 2007! [Cue spooky music]

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2011 :  11:21:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As a nonvoting felon, there's not much I can do except laugh at the political dead and wounded. There's gonna be a lot of 'em. One of 'em, a former bug hunter (laundry thief), has a customized, big, honkin' bus. Hooray! As a nonvoting felon, there's not much I can do except laugh at the politically dead and wounded. There's gonna be a lot of 'em.

From this diesel swilling, leviathanic contraption, she’ll present herself to the stunned masses as the savior of.....what? Something or other, I suppose.

You see that thing up there? That sweet ride all pimped out to show that its occupants are so got-damn Uhmerkan that everyone else can suck their patriotic fumes? That shit's so sick that it's got the motherfuckin' Constitution, words from the Pledge o' Allegiance, and purple motherfuckin' mountains majesty, like Lady Liberty's titties just thrustin' up all hard and ready for pinchin'. And who gives a damn if it looks like the tires are running over the American flag and gettin' it all muddy on rainy days? This is Sarah Palin's Magic Bus, motherfuckers, with her autograph next to the Liberty Bell. Yeah, lick the stiletto heels of her red, white, and blue pumps, bitches, and love it.

I love it already, but don't plan to run up to Gettysburg to see it when it arrives in that city of historical and sanguine sadness. But I will read and hear all too much of it as the days pass.

Oh, and I'm not really a felon -- never got caught. I'm just nonvoting this year. I'd already decided that there would be no candidates on the ballot worth the gas to the polls, and Obana's signing an extention to the obscene Patriot Act strengthens that resolve.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.