Conspiracy Theories
 Cancer Cure, Another One Hidden?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2011 :  22:02:50  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can you believe that this Doctor, Dr Burzynski, has had a cure for the most deadly cancers since the seventies? Where main stream doctors have a .9% success rate and no patients living past 5 years, Dr Burzinski's approved FDA trials, had a success rate, with 40 patients, of 27%+. His success rate with those patients after 5 years was 27%+. All were considered cured after 5 years. Your not going to believe this. The FDA tried but failed to shut him down. I could have put this under health but because the federal government has been conspiring to and have been squashing this all this time, it belongs here.

If this is not bullshit I suspect our American criminal enterprise, 'Our Federal Government' may like a hose of cards, come down but i suspect only if the most powerful loose control over their media monopoly which they enjoy now. The internet may be that monopoly buster. Other wise this would never have come out. Oh, if it's true.

I actually saw this about a week ago and then the free viewing ran out, so I couldn't post it. I ran across it again today. It will only be free until June 20, 11:99pm (midnight). If you have trouble seeing it in total blame the government. I've had to start it 5 times because it kept crashing or most likely the server crashing do to volume of viewers. SS

edit: correct typo

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS

Edited by - sailingsoul on 06/20/2011 09:39:51

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2011 :  11:26:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very interesting movie. Radical if true.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

alienist
Skeptic Friend

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2011 :  12:13:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send alienist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am always suspicious when a doctor announces dramatic results that other doctors have not achieved. I did look him up on Quackwatch. The FDA has not tried to shut him down. It looks like he has been fighting them to do his clinical trials under less stringent conditions.

This is the report of Dr. Burzynski:
Working outside peer review, Burzynski is conducting 71 concurrent, preliminary phase II trials that cover most cancer indications-an unheard of number for a single investigator, and for a drug which is yet to be proven effective for any indication.

These trials are fundamentally flawed in design and execution, said three experts after reviewing the Burzynski Research Institute's 1997 annual report to the Food and Drug Administration.

An exploration of the structure of Burzynski's clinical trials is by necessity a journey through an intricate, hidden labyrinth of loopholes that proved large enough to allow the controversial doctor to pump a sodium-rich substance into the veins of 963 patients treated in 1997.

Burzynski's motivation for conducting clinical trials is not limited to scientific curiosity. He is under a court order to administer antineoplastons exclusively through clinical trials or through "special exceptions" from FDA.

Though Burzynski says he has a network of physician "co-investigators" who follow his patients, several of these investigators said they did not put patients on the trial, do not administer antineoplastons, have no authority to stop the treatment, and have no knowledge of Burzynski's protocols. These physicians said they had not presented the protocols to their local Institutional Review Boards, which determine whether clinical trials are ethical.

In October 1991, a team of National Cancer Institute scientists visited Burzynski's clinic in Houston to review the cases he regarded as the most successful. The team determined that seven of these cases constituted a basis for skipping formal phase I safety testing to move directly to phase II efficacy trials.

"Our threshold for doing this has been lowered by a serious instruction from Congress," Bruce Chabner, then director of the NCI Division of Cancer Treatment, said at that time. "I think there is a significant potential downside for Dr. Burzynski here. This trial could put his operation out of business if his agent doesn't work." (The Cancer Letter, June 5, 1992)

"OAM was willing to buy the research assistance for to design a good protocol and to set up a data monitoring committee," Jacobs said to The Cancer Letter. "There have been plenty of opportunities. And those clowns, his supporters, were doing everything they could to wreck those opportunities."

Ultimately, in late 1993, Burzynski and his supporters gave up on their effort to force the trial into a setting less rigorous than NCI. A trial of antineoplastons, coordinated by NCI, began at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, the Mayo Clinic, and the NIH Clinical Center.

The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well! - Joe Ancis
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2011 :  14:58:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, the movie claims that the NCI didn't properly monitor the levels of active substances in the patients and were under-medicating them.
If the treatment works, then both the man and mankind has been made a great disservice, but I'm not in a position to make any judgment calls on it. Unfortunately.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2011 :  15:01:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Burzynski published one paper in 1977, nine papers in 1986, 11 in 1987, one each in 1990 and 1994, four in 1995, one each in 1996, 1999, 2000 and 2003, four in 2004, one in 2005 and one in 2006.

If the FDA is suppressing this man's research, they're doing a spectacularly crappy job of it. The most-likely explanation is that it's simply bad research.

If the stuff really worked, there are plenty of countries in which he (or his underlings not bound by a court order) could have performed lots of experiments out of reach of the FDA. What motivation there is to insist that the research be done in the U.S.A. is anyone's guess, but obviously it's not out of a desire to see the work move forward and for everyone to be made aware of "The Truth." The Truth, after all, knows no borders.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2011 :  23:10:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really don't know what to think about this video. I certainly hope he's on to something and if he is, it's moving way to slowly since the 70's. I'm not getting any younger and who knows if cancer is in my future. I want a cure on line and well tested on others way before I might need it. Why not? ;)
However I don't believe at all that the FDA is the watch dog agency it should be, one solely serving public interests like health and safety. The FDA Bureau of DRUGS Director Dr. Richard J Crout stated in an interview in January 1982, "I never have and never will approve a new drug to an individual, but only to a large pharmaceutical firm with unlimited finances", that is dogmatically scary and possibly telling. Google that quote! The movie states that the quote revealed the FDA's motive for targeting Dr. Burzynski.

The Burzynski movie is not a documentary but a movie promoting him. However there it is in the movie, the FDA looking out for their masters. It is how I see it. That says nothing to Dr.Burzynski's ability to cure brain cancer in children which no doctors can or adults with 'reported' success greater than main stream doctors could hope for them. One should not forget the movie only covers the best results and none if any failures, which there are. One last thing, we should all remember that films being called documentaries are not immune to being tools of misinformation. I point to films as old as Reefer madness and more recent ones by Michael Moore and Ben Stein with Expelled. SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Edited by - sailingsoul on 06/21/2011 20:50:56
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2011 :  08:17:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The FDA is beholden to the whims of 545 people and their lobbyists. There's no way in hell an independent, scientifically minded public watchdog agency would ever voluntarily adopt the rules in, for example, the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act of 1994. There's no way one would give blanket immunity to homeopathy, but that happened with the FDA's founding Act.

However, much of the details of what they do regarding drug trials is in line with the best standards for evidence-based medicine. Individual drug developers generally aren't going to have deep enough pockets to fulfill the reasonable requirements of the three main phases of human clinical trials, not when development of a drug can cost upwards of $800 million from small-scale animal trials all the way up to the filing fees for a New Drug Application. At least, that's how I would interpret Dr. Crout's statement, but after Googling it, I cannot find that statement in context anywhere. It's always given on its own, usually in regard to some alleged "vendetta" of the FDA's against Burzynski.

So, where can we find back-issues of The Spotlight from 1982 (specifically, January 18)? Which Spotlight is it, anyway? Google seems to show dozens of different magazines with that name.

(I did happen to find this 1997 interview with Dr. Crout, which sheds some light on just how complicated a job it is to be Director of the Bureau of Drugs. I haven't read the whole thing yet, but Dr. Crout seemed genuinely interested in public safety, but had to balance that against Congressional mandates and economic realities. Note also that he's clear that enforcement was a separate division within the FDA from the Bureau of Drugs, so Crout and his people wouldn't have been involved in filing any lawsuits against Burzynski.)

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.