What can we do to stop this?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2011 :  04:24:15  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think I have ever been so afraid for a presidential election. It sure seems that Rick Perry is going to be coming out on top as the republitard candidate. (There is still time for things to change though) He sure has a knack for rallying the religious folk. I am sure you have all read about his stance on creationism.

I know that organizing freethinkers is like hearding cats but I think it is time we actually do something about this. We can't let this go any further.

Any ideas of how to organize so we can help educate the public about how wrong he is and that beleiving in creationism in NOT some sort of virtue?

Any other thoughts?

Haole with heart, thats all I'll ever be. I'm not a part of the North Shore society. Stuck on the shoulder, that's where you'll find me. Digging for scraps with the kooks in line. -Offspring

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2011 :  05:52:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Ebone4rock

I don't think I have ever been so afraid for a presidential election. It sure seems that Rick Perry is going to be coming out on top as the republitard candidate. (There is still time for things to change though) He sure has a knack for rallying the religious folk. I am sure you have all read about his stance on creationism.

I know that organizing freethinkers is like hearding cats but I think it is time we actually do something about this. We can't let this go any further.

Any ideas of how to organize so we can help educate the public about how wrong he is and that beleiving in creationism in NOT some sort of virtue?

Any other thoughts?

I think it is already happening idependantly. This guy makes me nervous. He shows a lack of understanding of the Constitution, specifically freedom of religion, and scares the bejezuz out of practioners of non Judeo-Christian faiths (and athiests as well).

He has not learned from the Palin candidacy. Hate feeds on itself. If he tries to appeal to moderates, his base will tear him limb from limb.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2011 :  07:16:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Valiant Dancer

He shows a lack of understanding of the Constitution, specifically freedom of religion...
It's even more basic than tricky issues like ensuring freedom without sectarian endorsements. Rick Perry is one of those ignorant folks who thinks that the 16th Amendment empowered Congress to collect income taxes.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2011 :  11:24:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ebone (also Dude, etc.).....

Any other thoughts?
Yes.

Those liberals who are highly disappointed with Obama's performance in office (and I am one of them) to the degree that they feel that they cannot in good faith vote for him again and also obviously cannot vote for Perry or any other idiot that the GOP may end up nominating; those folks who believe and state that they must abstain from voting this time - they would do well to consider this:

A liberal who does not vote Democratic and either does not vote at all or wastes his enfranchisement by voting for any "independent" who cannot possibly be elected, is actually contributing one vote to elect whichever fascist fundamentalist that the Republican power machine will put up for the conservative candidate in 2012 -- because he is not negating one conservative vote with his one liberal vote.
And this coming election is going to be a squeaker!

If Obama advocated baby rape, mother murder, and free government distribution of loaded AK-47's to all American citizens for the purpose of immediate asassination of anyone who disagreed with anyone else for any reason anytime; he still would be a vastly preferable alternative to the unthinkably ignorant, stupid and savagely primitive Big Corporation lackey that the Republican tea party will nominate this time.

Anyone who is capable of elementary reasoning must conclude that ANY alternative to the conservative religious fundamentalist darlings of the right wing crazies, must be elected this time. Or all of us are truly doomed.

Any and all - for god's (purely FOS) sake don't help elect a Rick Perry or a Michelle Bachmann or a Moron Mormon Captain of Industry to the Presidency of the United States, no matter how digusted you are with Obama.

I am in the process of contributing almost a third of my after-tax income this year to the Democratic Party. Why die and leave it to my kids when I might be able to help preserve some semblance of what the US should be by preventing a Republican administration and Congress? I think it is a better legacy than mere money. I will also contribute all that I can of my time that can be effectively utilized by Internet or telephone contact, as I have in past.

I seriously request that every caring liberal here on SFN pledge some money and time to the effort to defeat the conservative thugs from taking over.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2011 :  11:39:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree. Obama may seem more like a moderate republican than a democrat but compared to the tea party candidates, and that seems to be pretty much all of the republican field, I"m going with Obama. The alternative is unthinkable. Those people are crazy.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2011 :  11:59:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's what I want. A fiscal conservative with Paul Ryan's skill with numbers but the balls to raise taxes on the wealthy.

Haole with heart, thats all I'll ever be. I'm not a part of the North Shore society. Stuck on the shoulder, that's where you'll find me. Digging for scraps with the kooks in line. -Offspring
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2011 :  12:33:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Here's what I want. A fiscal conservative with Paul Ryan's skill with numbers but the balls to raise taxes on the wealthy.
Since when has Paul Ryan shown any skill with numbers?

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2011 :  13:11:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

Since when has Paul Ryan shown any skill with numbers?

Not that I agree with Ryan's budget proposals but I do know he works long hard hours trying to come up with solutions using real numbers rather than rhetoric.

I respect him for that. I don't want him running for president but I do like his work ethic and would prefer someone with a similar work ethic.

I have also come to the conclusion that I have no idea what I am talking about when it comes to politics. Whenever I am challenged I find myself scrambling for answers to questions that I really don't understand. I better leave politics alone.

Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2011 :  13:38:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been waiting for someone really scary to suddenly appear who might have a chance of beating Obama. Rick Perry might be that boogeyman. I hope not. Think we need to wait a bit longer and see how this shapes up. It's still early.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2011 :  13:42:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Whenever I am challenged I find myself scrambling for answers to questions that I really don't understand.
I would challenge that assertion, but I don't want your head to explode.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2011 :  13:47:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ebone wrote:
Here's what I want... the balls to raise taxes on the wealthy.
Something in economics/politics we agree on! ;-)

Seriously, it is disgusting that we have so few tax brackets and that tax-wise we treat person making a quarter of a million dollars a year the same as we treat Bill Gates. Their fair share my ass.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2011 :  13:59:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Whenever I am challenged I find myself scrambling for answers to questions that I really don't understand.
I would challenge that assertion, but I don't want your head to explode.

You are on a roll today Dave. Must be Friday giddiness.

The one liners are MY specialty!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2011 :  20:59:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

The one liners are MY specialty!
Try your waitress. Tip the veal. I'll be here all week.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

alienist
Skeptic Friend

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2011 :  11:07:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send alienist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have mixed feelings about the danger Rick Perry poses. By running for president, the media is already showing him to be stupid and a hypocrite. Also, most Americans do not like the religious right. However, I still do not understand how Bush got elected.

The cost of Medicare is a problem, but Paul Ryan was just using numbers to justify getting rid of it by privatizing it

The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well! - Joe Ancis
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2011 :  11:12:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's a bit more sleeze about Perry.

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.