Teen Skepchick Interviews Dr. Amy
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2011 :  13:18:45  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh how neat - I didn't even know about Teen Skepchick! Will definitely start reading/listening to more. I'm always delighted to see the skeptic/secular movement attracting even more female and youth voices.

Discovered the below link today because I'm on a FB group that discusses natural childbirth from a skeptical point of view, and Dr. Amy posted this link. Good interview since it goes into how Dr. Amy became interested in speaking out against homebirth and other aspects of the natural childbirth movement. After the intro she goes into a lot of stuff that is basic for any skeptic so it might bore most of you here. Then about 25 minutes in she starts talking about ways in which the alternative health advocates which claim to be feminist are in fact just promoting old ideas about math and science being too hard for women. That whole bit about rationalism and math and science being part of the patriarchy and how supposedly women can know and learn through other means such as intuition (the same bullshit ideas circulate about black people.) It's bad enough that there are women holding back women, but when they do it in the name of feminism, that is just too infuriating.

Some really interesting thoughts from Dr. Amy on abstinence, the increased risks that women take on when they make decisions to be sexually active, and pressure on young girls today starts at about 37 minutes. Lots of music to my ears; she mentioned Planned Parenthood's website as a great resource for teen girls to get info on birth control. I deliberately waited until I was in college and 18 to become sexually active for exactly the reasons Dr. Amy speaks about, and Planned Parenthood's website was a godsend (excuse the expression) once I did decide to become sexually active, especially after getting a totally crappy and distorted view of birth control in Catholic high school.

Anyway, for those who have an hour to listen, enjoy!

http://teenskepchick.org/2011/08/25/teen-skepchick-interviews-dr-amy/

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2011 :  20:00:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dr. Amy just wrote a bit about her interview with Teen Skepchick and her concern that not enough women are learning basic math and science:

To me, one of the most depressing aspects of health pseudoscience (so called "alternative" health) is that it is dominated by women. Women are far more likely to believe in and use quack "treatments" like homeopathy. They believe in and spearhead nonsense "movements" like anti-vaccination. And, of course, quack practitioners like homebirth midwives (certified professional midwives or CPMs) are exclusively women.

Why might that be? I suspect that it has a lot to do with the fact that many women have no knowledge of basic science and math.

When we were children, my generation was told that science and math were "too hard" for women, and girls were steered away from physics and engineering toward professions like teaching and nursing. Women like me owe a deep debt to feminist pioneers who, often at great personal cost, paved the way for acceptance of women into every subject of study and every possible career.

That's why it's especially depressing to me to find that while women are free to learn science and math, many still avoid it as "too hard." Without a strong foundation of science and math, it is perhaps inevitable that many women are drawn to pseudoscience. What's truly amazing, though, it that they want to pretend that ignoring science is some sort of feminist statement.

Read the whole article here.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds.