Cool post from McGowan on group consensus pressure
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2011 :  16:42:48  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In his blog The Meming of Life, secular humanist parent extraordinaire Dale McGowan writes about conformity, the Asch Experiment, and his awesome daughter: http://parentingbeyondbelief.com/blog/?p=6198

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2011 :  18:34:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very intriguing. After viewing the video I thought surely this doesn't apply to everyone that took part kn the experiment. In this longer clip on this experiment it mentions 37% conformity. When there was "one dissenter" who gave the correct answer instead of all giving the wrong answer conformity dropped to 5%. So almost two thirds of those tested did not conform. It seems to speak toward a trait of conformity that applies to just over 1/3 of the population and less to people in general. I would like to see a test where one does not conform. Their reaction to the wrong answers would be also intriguing. I would also like to know how gender affects the results. SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2011 :  19:00:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's a test with mostly female testies, or study subjects. Gender has not shown to change the results. SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Edited by - sailingsoul on 09/06/2011 19:04:00
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds.