Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2011 :  20:32:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
justintime:
How do you then use anthropology to dispute theistic evolution.
I did no such thing. I used facts (that I mentioned I learned mostly in anthropology classes) to dispute your claim that belief in God is universal.

I do sympathize with your repulsion for religion and god.
I am not repulsed by either religion in general, or god.

Women were raped indiscriminately and the few that were spared were made as sacrificial offerings to ward off pestilences, droughts, natural calamities.
What women? By who?

One of the most advanced of ancient civilizations the Mayans exclusive used spared virgins as sacrificial offerings.
That is false.

This does project the notion that god was a male which again is a notion prevalent in most religions.
Since it is false, no, it doesn't. Although even if it were true, which it is not, it still wouldn't project that notion.

Why virginity is still demanded in many cultures as a sign of purity and fidelity is no mystery.
Yeah: while women can be sure which offspring are theirs, men can't.

The hormonal changes that follow women after sexual intercourse is often unpredictable. They either turn sluttish or repulsed by the initial experience remain uncooperative.
That's also false.

In more modern cultures an analogy with cheese is used to describe virginity. When cheese has been sitting on the shelf for too long, it starts to smell bad.
Your point?

I am amazed women will take a man on intellectually.
Why?

They might succeed in arm wrestling, nut cracking given men expand better than contract, budgeting and multitasking, the economy of reusable parts.
I have no idea what this sentence means. None.

After a man has spent his stuff he needs to recover whereas to a women that is both a deposit and a down payment.
I have no idea what this means either.

But for a woman to challenge a man intellectually. That is indisputable violation of a misplaced rib.
Meaning what?

Men have created women in their image as to what is beautiful, feminist and desirable.
I assume you meant "feminine", not "feminist". Although even with that change I don't catch your meaning. In what sense did men create women?

Take that illusion away and all you have left is a pin cushion. A collection of many pricks.
Don't get the metaphor.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

justintime
BANNED

382 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2011 :  06:19:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send justintime a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by H. Humbert

Originally posted by justintime
The belief in God is innate to man.
That's not what the latest research finds: Supernatural explanations just don't occur to kids - they need to be taught them.

justintime, you really need to start reexamining the things you "know" to be true. You might be surprised to discover how much of it is bullshit.

They don't believe we are monkeys either. Children have to develop cognitive skills before they can make sense of the world around them. With that comes curiosity about the hows and whys.

I don't know if skeptics are like referees. They can only impassionately call the rules but never in the game.

There are no absolutes. We take what works for us.

An atheist has no more right because he does not believe in a god or find meaning in religion to take away from people who find meaning and strengthened by their beliefs.

Nor does monkey believers have the right to reduce all of mans aspirations and goodness to an existential deterministic view of him as a structure of cells slightly more complex than an amoeba or a few mutations away from a chimpanzee.

That humans seek meaning is an abstraction a deviation from the random chaos that created our universe.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2011 :  06:34:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

There are no absolutes.
Except for that one, I guess.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2011 :  07:15:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
justintime:
They don't believe we are monkeys either. Children have to develop cognitive skills before they can make sense of the world around them. With that comes curiosity about the hows and whys.
The difference is that the same scientific discoveries can and have happened over and over again since, as is the point of this thread, science is universal. Darwin wasn't the only one to come up with evolution, he was just the first to back it up with sufficient evidence that it was taken seriously. Also, what perpetuates the acceptance of scientific ideas is mounting evidence. Conversely, what kills a scientific idea is evidence to the contrary. Religions don't work that way.

I don't know if skeptics are like referees. They can only impassionately call the rules but never in the game.
I see plenty of passion on this forum. Passion for reason, science, knowledge, and critical inquiry.

There are no absolutes. We take what works for us.
To be fair, I'm going to assume that what you mean is that there are no absolutes that we can know for sure. (Since, as Dave pointed out, to claim there are no absolutes is to claim an absolute.) On a fundamental level I agree with you that we can know nothing with absolute certainty. However, that doesn't mean that all claims are equal. There are some things we can know with great certainty, and other things we know with only some or very little certainty. So it is rather empty to just shoo ideas away by saying "There are no absolutes." Also, not everything you want to "work for you" will work. For instance, you can believe that crystals or positive thinking or eating raw food will cure cancer, and still die of cancer believing it.

An atheist has no more right because he does not believe in a god or find meaning in religion to take away from people who find meaning and strengthened by their beliefs.
An atheist can't take anyone's beliefs away from them. An atheist can only voice criticisms of those beliefs. Just like a religious person can advocate for their worldview to the atheist. Are you suggesting that nobody ever criticize anybody else's worldview, or are you just saying atheists alone should keep our mouths shut?

Nor does monkey believers have the right to reduce all of mans aspirations and goodness to an existential deterministic view of him as a structure of cells slightly more complex than an amoeba or a few mutations away from a chimpanzee.
First of all, accepting the scientific theory of evolution does not result in a particular worldview. There are Christians who accept evolution. There are nihilists, and Objectivists, and Humanists who all accept evolution, and they all offer very different philosophical points of view regarding ethics and humanity's place in the world. Since nobody here has advocated such a depressing philosophy, I'm calling strawman argument.

That humans seek meaning is an abstraction a deviation from the random chaos that created our universe.
More platitudes. Yawn.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2011 :  11:20:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dang Martha, you're reaching Dave W. levels of OWNAGE...

Justin, you are pitching softballs here, we've been through this several hundred times and you seem to think that this is our first ballgame.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Edited by - BigPapaSmurf on 10/06/2011 11:21:19
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2011 :  11:31:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
BigPapaSmurf wrote:
Dang Martha, you're reaching Dave W. levels of OWNAGE...
You flatter me too much. Thanks.

Go to Top of Page

justintime
BANNED

382 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2011 :  10:44:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send justintime a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most Ancient literature and mythology offer totally different explanations than Darwin's evolution. To say the science of evolution is universal is to show one has very little exposure to other cultures and beliefs.

Religion and belief in a god was prevalent in even the oldest of civilizations and preceded science and Darwins evolution.

The advent of science is quite recent in human history. Ignorance, myths , religion, superstitions etc etc explained much of what was ancient knowledge.

To say science was universal and to deny god is innate to man is the worldview one develops looking out from ones backyard.

Edited by - justintime on 10/07/2011 11:33:44
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2011 :  12:13:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
justintime:
Most Ancient literature and mythology offer totally different explanations than Darwin's evolution. To say the science of evolution is universal is to show one has very little exposure to other cultures and beliefs.
Go back and read this thread until you understand what "science is universal" means. Because it doesn't mean what you think it means, and I'm tired of correcting you.

Religion and belief in a god was prevalent in even the oldest of civilizations and preceded science and Darwins evolution.

The advent of science is quite recent in human history. Ignorance, myths , religion, superstitions etc etc explained much of what was ancient knowledge.
Already responded to this, too. Have fun being a broken record.

To say science was universal and to deny god is innate to man is the worldview one develops looking out from ones backyard.
No, it's not. And I've already backed up my disagreement plenty. You either can't read, or can't understand the counter-arguments to your wrong claims. And I'm not going to keep rephrasing the same arguments over and over again in the hopes that at some point you'll comprehend.

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2011 :  13:13:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Most Ancient literature and mythology offer totally different explanations than Darwin's evolution.
Oh, what a surprise!

"Making shit up or pulling it out of your ass" is a completely different paradigm from the philosophy of science. Totally different explanations? No shit Sherlock!

Science is the systematic explorations of the natural world using tools to measure it. The Theory of Evolution is a part of that systematic explorations.

To say the science of evolution is universal is to show one has very little exposure to other cultures and beliefs.
But the question wasn't about "evolution being universal". It was about science being universal. The theory of evolution is just the natural conclusion of using science to study living organisms.

Religion and belief in a god was prevalent in even the oldest of civilisations
Since civilisations existed before written records, that's a pretty bold statement. Care to provide some evidence for it?

and preceded science and Darwins evolution.
Which is easiest? Making some shit up on the spot, or work to find out how stuff really works (especially when you don't have any tools for it, like a microscope, or even a logical math system)?

Which also explains why much of that ancient knowledge is crap.

Science does not deny God. It just says that most ideas of what the Gods are, that man has come up with, is nonsensical and irrelevant to how reality works.
There may still be a God out there somewhere, but its (or their) attributes are not what you or anyone else has proposed thus far.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

justintime
BANNED

382 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2011 :  06:43:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send justintime a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was surprised to find a Christopher Hitchens an athiest admit. Before all science and knowledge about our universe there was religion. Religion was mans first attempt to explain the world we lived in. To develop social order, to teach personal hygiene, to explain natural causes, diseases, pestilence etc. etc.

Just 400 years ago Galileo almost lost his life for holding the view the earth is not the center of the universe.

Science is acquired knowledge....religion, god are innate to man and universal.
Go to Top of Page

Hal
Skeptic Friend

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2011 :  07:16:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Hal a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I was surprised to find a Christopher Hitchens an athiest admit. Before all science and knowledge about our universe there was religion. Religion was mans first attempt to explain the world we lived in. To develop social order, to teach personal hygiene, to explain natural causes, diseases, pestilence etc. etc.

Just 400 years ago Galileo almost lost his life for holding the view the earth is not the center of the universe.

Science is acquired knowledge....religion, god are innate to man and universal.

Oh, fer cryin' out loud. What's "innate" in people is the fact that we attempt to understand the world based on principles we can readily observe. This is not science vs. religion, just elementary cognition. We don't live in a universe where we expect things to happen with no cause, so when we see something we can't explain, we make more-or-less informed assumptions. The sun didn't just appear in the sky all by itself, so it must have ben put there. Since no one saw it being put there, and it would seem to be a job beyond the abilities of anyone I know, it must have got there by the hand of something with powers far beyond those of man.

You're trivially correct that science (n) consists of acquired knowledge, and even science (v) incorporates learned skills and techniques, but at the end of the day, what's "innate" in the priest and the scientist is simply the expectation that Things Happen For a Reason.

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
Martin Luther King Jr.

Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2011 :  09:01:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
justintime wrote:
Religion was mans first attempt to explain the world we lived in. To develop social order, to teach personal hygiene, to explain natural causes, diseases, pestilence etc. etc.
Religion was not the first attempt to develop social order or teach personal hygiene - that has been pretty well established by living hunter-gatherer societies that don't apply their religion to social order or hygiene.

There are two problems with the claim that it was the first attempt to explain natural causes, diseases, pestilence, etc. The first is that such a claim is at best a guess since modern humans were around a long time before written language and civilization, so how the hell would we know what early humans thought about those things?

The second problem is that it is ridiculous to group all "religious" ideas together as if there is some fundamental similarity between, say, ancient Greek mythology and the Australian Aboriginal concept of Dreamtime. They are both attempts to explain why the natural world is the way it is, and neither is scientific. However, beyond that they really don't have much in common. So to suggest that they are both evidence of some "innate" ancient wisdom is silly.

Human's big brains are what have allowed us to pass on sophisticated knowledge and develop useful technology, and THAT has helped us survive. A side effect is that we are curious and want answers to phenomena. And different cultures all around the world have come up with literally thousands of different, equally false explanations.

Once again, two entirely separate cultures never came up with the same myths, while completely separate cultures have independently discovered the exact same facts about the natural world using scientific method. Which is why science is universal.

Of course I and others already brought up these problems. Justintime continues to pretend we never did and repeat his arguments as if they are correct and profound, when they are neither.

Edited by - marfknox on 10/08/2011 09:02:43
Go to Top of Page

justintime
BANNED

382 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2011 :  10:16:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send justintime a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Bible is one of the earliest books written in recorded history teaches all kinds of social, moral, dietary and what is clean and unclean etc. etc. Read The Book of Leviticus in the Bible.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2011 :  10:30:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
justintime:

No. He didn't. If you aren't willing to do even the most basic fact checking, how can we take anything you say seriously?

Edited to add: Well.. I thought justintime said Galileo lost his life. "Almost" is correct.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

justintime
BANNED

382 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2011 :  13:53:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send justintime a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

justintime:

No. He didn't. If you aren't willing to do even the most basic fact checking, how can we take anything you say seriously?

Edited to add: Well.. I thought justintime said Galileo lost his life. "Almost" is correct.

Thank you. Kil. You can start taking me seriously now.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.74 seconds.