Gwen Dewar on How Stereotypes Help Kids Fail
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2011 :  09:31:36  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gwen Dewar of parentingscience.com posts about the stereotype threat, or how stereotypes put many at a disadvantage even when no one is actively discriminating against them: read the article.

In one compelling experiment, Ryan Brown and Eric Day tested the effects of stereotype threat on African-American undergraduates.

The researchers randomly divided students into groups and gave them an IQ test. But each group got a different set of instructions.
Some students were told they were taking a test.

Other students were told that the questions were “puzzles” to solve and that they’d be asked for their opinions about them later.
The different spin mattered a lot.

When the African-American students believed they were taking a test–IQ or otherwise–they scored lower than European-American students did.
But when the students believed they were merely working on puzzles, the pressure was off and everything changed:

African-Americans performed just as well as the European-Americans did.

I would have voted for whatever Democrat was running in the last presidential election against McCain/Palin, but this sort of stuff is really why I was excited to vote for Obama. His politics are way too moderate for me, and I was no more impressed with him in primary debates than most of the other Dem candidates. But at the time I was working with inner city black youth, and I've witnessed first hand just how incredibly self-conscious they are about race. Having a black president, especially one who came out of the working class and who has a successful black wife, certainly doesn't solve the problem of negative stereotypes, but I'm rather convinced it helps things move in a positive direction.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds.