Anyone remember that one book...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2011 :  09:54:26  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
...with the pages?

Ok, I'll try to be more specific. I need help trying to remember the name and author of a book I recall only vaguely and was hoping somebody here might remember what I'm talking about.

This was a book that came out awhile ago. Maybe somewhere between 5-10 years even. (I'm horrible at gauging the passage of time.) It was by some guy who was considered really smart and had earned a reputation for being a bit of a boy wonder in his youth. I can't remember his field. Physics, maybe. Then he went into seclusion for a time and at the end of it released this massive book. He claimed it was going to revolutionize biology by uncovering underlying patterns for everything from the way leaves grow to how bacteria reproduce. I remember it had a lot to do with fractals, and much of the book was demonstrating the similarities between side-by-side comparisons of nature photos and fractals generated by computer algorithms. I think the cover had a some sort of digitized pattern on it.

Despite the hype and fanboi attention this book received, the ultimate reaction of the scientific community was "meh." I don't remember it being particularly well-received. Then the book sort of faded out of popular discussion.

Can anyone help me remember?

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2011 :  11:03:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found it! It's called A New Kind of Science by Stephen Wolfram.

I finally hit upon it by searching Google with the phrase "crank science book, big hype."

Wikipedia says
Many reviewers enjoyed the quality of the book's production and the clear way Wolfram presented many ideas. Even those reviewers who engaged in other criticisms found aspects of the book to be interesting and thought-provoking. On the other hand, many reviewers criticized Wolfram for his lack of modesty, poor editing, lack of mathematical rigor, and the lack of immediate utility of his ideas. Concerning the ultimate importance of the book, a common attitude was that of either skepticism or "wait and see". Many reviewers and the media focused on the use of simple programs (cellular automata in particular) to model nature, rather than the more fundamental idea of systematically exploring the universe of simple programs.
Did anybody read ever this book?

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

Edited by - H. Humbert on 09/19/2011 11:04:56
Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2011 :  11:04:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Was it Steven Wolfram and "A New Kind of Science"?

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2011 :  11:05:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
damn it.. I want my search seconds back!

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2011 :  11:05:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gee, HH. You just made me waste a full 15 seconds of my life.

Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2011 :  11:06:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Hawks

Was it Steven Wolfram and "A New Kind of Science"?
Well done, Hawks. I think I found my answer literally seconds before you posted.

So, do you have any opinions on the book?

P.S. Sorry about wasting your time.

Edited by - H. Humbert on 09/19/2011 11:06:39
Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2011 :  11:06:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Compare our time-stamps, BigParaSmurf. What is it they say about great minds...?

Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2011 :  11:24:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Reminds me a bit of when I unfortunately picked up this book: A New Science of Life by Rupert Sheldrake. It's pretty bad - morphic resonance, telepathy, that sort of stuff.

I have not read Wolfram's book. Doesn't sound like I want to either.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2011 :  11:53:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by H. Humbert
So, do you have any opinions on the book?

No, I haven't read it.

P.S. Sorry about wasting your time.
I forgive you.

Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2011 :  12:10:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I searched on the borders books web site and got zero results every time, based on what you remembered or described H.H.. Time wasted? I don't mind searching for what is there and finding nothing. What I would mind is searching for what is not there and find something. If you get my drift. SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

Machi4velli
SFN Regular

USA
854 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2011 :  23:34:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Machi4velli a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mathematica is nice software... sounds like this guy's ego is massive though

"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people."
-Giordano Bruno

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, but the illusion of knowledge."
-Stephen Hawking

"Seeking what is true is not seeking what is desirable"
-Albert Camus
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.