Study Shows Organic Farming Outperforms Convention
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2011 :  21:00:01  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just read this article.

The results are in from a 30-year side-by-side trial of conventional and organic farming methods at Pennsylvania's Rodale Institute. Contrary to conventional wisdom, organic farming outperformed conventional farming in every measure.

I'm rather happy about the results of this study, and not surprised. However, it makes me even more annoyed over the fact that conventionally grown foods are much cheaper than organic and local (I assume because of subsidies and the dominance the conventional farmers have over the market) putting them out of my reach. I'd love to buy organic, but I just care too much about my health, and in order to keeping eating as many fruits and veggies as my family consumes, I'd go totally broke buying organic.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2011 :  05:54:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by marfknox

Just read this article.

The results are in from a 30-year side-by-side trial of conventional and organic farming methods at Pennsylvania's Rodale Institute. Contrary to conventional wisdom, organic farming outperformed conventional farming in every measure.

I'm rather happy about the results of this study, and not surprised. However, it makes me even more annoyed over the fact that conventionally grown foods are much cheaper than organic and local (I assume because of subsidies and the dominance the conventional farmers have over the market) putting them out of my reach. I'd love to buy organic, but I just care too much about my health, and in order to keeping eating as many fruits and veggies as my family consumes, I'd go totally broke buying organic.

Subsidies are only for crop rotation and not planting a particular crop. There isn't any for pesticides. Organic is more expensive due to the small scale nature of the operations, limits on shipping (determined by how long the item stays fresh), and fuel/cartage prices from smaller loads.

Conventional farming is usually done by mega-farming conglomerates and achieve cheapness through economies of scale. The small farmer is all but extinct.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2011 :  06:36:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Val wrote:
Subsidies are only for crop rotation and not planting a particular crop. There isn't any for pesticides.
Never said they were. But the facts remain, subsidies primarily go to certain specific crops (corn is #1 by far) that are used mainly in processed foods, while fresh produce remains more expensive. Subsidies also go to large, conventional farming operations, which drives down prices hurting both local small farmers and farmers in less affluent nations.

Organic is more expensive due to the small scale nature of the operations, limits on shipping (determined by how long the item stays fresh), and fuel/cartage prices from smaller loads.
Yes, that's what I meant by the dominance that conventional farmers have over the market. This is an example of the worst of capitalism and the worst of government working together - certain companies become so successful that they are just big enough to buy politicians and therefore they can continue to kick the crap out of the competition even if the competing small businesses run their operations in a more efficient and socially/environmentally beneficial way. The government is doing exactly the opposite of what it is supposed to do.

Conventional farming is usually done by mega-farming conglomerates and achieve cheapness through economies of scale. The small farmer is all but extinct.
Which is why I think the government should be involved, but in the opposite capacities that it currently is. Subsidies for farming today should be based on what benefits local economies, particularly those in need, as well as environmental and public health benefits.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2011 :  06:39:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To elaborate on public health benefits, there isn't a lot of evidence that organic food is all that much superior in health benefits (it is more that it is good for the environment.) However, simply eating more fruits and vegetables and less processed food definitely has huge health benefits, and subsidies make the latter cheap while the former are relatively expensive. That needs to change.

Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2011 :  08:13:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by marfknox

To elaborate on public health benefits, there isn't a lot of evidence that organic food is all that much superior in health benefits (it is more that it is good for the environment.) However, simply eating more fruits and vegetables and less processed food definitely has huge health benefits, and subsidies make the latter cheap while the former are relatively expensive. That needs to change.

Brings to mind the 1962 book Silent Spring.
It's concidered a seminal book for the environmentl movement.

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Edited by - Randy on 09/29/2011 08:13:35
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.