Feature Suggestions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1487 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2011 :  17:48:13  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
SFN has been around a long time and started back when video screen resolutions were small. 640x480 to 800x600 was typical back then, and now 960x640 to 1920x1200 is typical, up to 2.4 time larger. So I propose a avatar increase from 64x64 to 150x150, ja!

That was my rational appeal. Now for my emotional one:

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2011 :  18:48:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh.

We have the slowest redesign of the site going on (for years, now), and we're aiming at 1,024 being the most-common width in use (I think it still is). The 64x64 avatars fit in extremely well with the new look.

And with over 180 avatars to resize, I wouldn't be looking forward to doing that chore. Especially not since just blowing them up would look horrible. Someone would have to track down hi-res originals and resize/crop them pleasantly. And some of them are animated GIFs.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2011 :  23:28:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Oh.

We have the slowest redesign of the site going on (for years, now), and we're aiming at 1,024 being the most-common width in use (I think it still is). The 64x64 avatars fit in extremely well with the new look.

And with over 180 avatars to resize, I wouldn't be looking forward to doing that chore. Especially not since just blowing them up would look horrible. Someone would have to track down hi-res originals and resize/crop them pleasantly. And some of them are animated GIFs.
Is it not possible to allow for an increase in avatar size, but for those that are smaller, just stay smaller?

Alternatively, we could just force people to do it themselves-- we announce that we're changing things, provide tips on how to easily upload, etc., a new avatar, and at some point, just sort of toss out the old ones.

Maybe?
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1487 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2011 :  14:39:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dave, no need to re-size anyone's avatars. Just have an option in member's profiles to link to a URL image. Then old profiles will look the same, and us active and new members can take advantage of larger avatars. Then you will no longer have to futz with anyone's avatars again.

Suggested programming algorithm:
If an image URL is given then force URL image to width 150px
Else display old avatar if any
Edited by - ThorGoLucky on 10/25/2011 14:41:52
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2011 :  20:51:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One reason we do the avatars the way they are now is so that people's browsers don't have to go hunting to a zillion different domains to display one page. I'm confident that we will never allow free URLs for avatars.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1487 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2011 :  02:38:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dave, welcome to the Internet where browsers "go hunting" to display a page. If the links are broken so be it. So what? I'm suggesting less unnecessary work for you and more freedom for members. Ja?

Anyway, regardless of my suggestion of the URL, please allow larger avatar sizes. As was pointed out in a different topic, several of us members finally realized what the_ignored's avatar was really about, thanks to an enlarged image!
Edited by - ThorGoLucky on 10/26/2011 02:42:21
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2011 :  04:56:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If it will cause longer downloads, screw that shit! With everyone trying to get their TV off the internet my download speeds are at 5KBS all day and night until midnight at least. I won't be able to use the site if that change affects the data downloading to increase dramatically. For what? Because Iggy has an avatar that looks like an alien eyeball, when it really is a rabbit with some pancakes on it's head? Fuck that! Not everyone has great internet service around the world like you may have. I remember OOFC has got shit service too. You know Thor, you voiced your desire to change the avatar resolution, now your suggesting something that I think is unwise and not considered a proper solution and your reply is as I see it "let all other considerations be damned, that eyeball scares me". I wish you would let it go.

That was my rational appeal.
No! If it unacceptably affects other issues it's not rational. Can you let this issue go?

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Edited by - sailingsoul on 10/26/2011 04:56:57
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.