Free the Glutens...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2011 :  18:42:09  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This thread is for posting comments about the SFN article “Free the Glutens, or When a Cookie isn’t Just a Cookie” Please try to keep posts on topic. Only registered users may post comments.

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2011 :  22:27:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like her writing style. Not being an Oprah fan I had no idea. Great info'.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

chefcrsh
Skeptic Friend

Hong Kong
380 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2011 :  22:45:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send chefcrsh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I tried sniffing gluten when I was a teen...I didn't feel any different.
Go to Top of Page

froydnslp

22 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2011 :  23:30:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send froydnslp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks SS! And I didn't remember to add a very special thanks to Kil for embedding links (whatever that means), editing, nudging and laying on guilt and paying the library fines for those books I checked out. And thanks Dave too!
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2011 :  00:25:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it's an important article, because most people don't make the connection to Wakefield, Jenny McCarthy, and both anti-vax and the gluten free diet fad.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2011 :  04:27:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This article hits so close to home. My sister-in-law decided a couple of years ago that the needed to go on a gluten free diet. She was having very vague symptoms.... of something..."just feeling week, just not feeling right" She was tested for celiac, and the doc said she in no way has it. She decided the doc was wrong and started a gluten free diet and it miraculously cured her.
Now every family get together is a major pain. Everyone is worrying about glutens for sis. When we have a get together here at home we have to go spend all kinds of money on gluten free shit for sis and cook a whole seperate meal.

It is quite convenient though that whenever there is something delicious to eat, i.e. chocolate brownies or something, that we hear " Oh, I can have a little bit of gluten".

It is bullshit and I don't dare say anything because the couple of times I have I got " You are not a doctor, you don't know anything".

Haole with heart, thats all I'll ever be. I'm not a part of the North Shore society. Stuck on the shoulder, that's where you'll find me. Digging for scraps with the kooks in line. -Offspring
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2011 :  12:43:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ebon4rock, I can relate. Several of my dear friends fall for much of the usual anti-"Western medicine" and pro-woo nonsense. If I try to give real explanations, I get the ol' "we don't really know anything" postmodern crap, but then they're quick to "know" that woo works. They reject that their evolved primate brains with imperfect perception, memory and intuition are flawed.
Edited by - ThorGoLucky on 10/25/2011 12:44:15
Go to Top of Page

alienist
Skeptic Friend

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2011 :  15:12:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send alienist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It drives me up the wall when rice products claim they are gluten free. They never had gluten in the first place. But as H.L. Mencken said, no one ever went broke underestimating the stupidity of the American people.

Btw, Ebone,
you may want to tell your sister-in-law she has to bring her own food and cook it herself when she comes to dinner. Unless she has a test result that shows she has celiace disease.

The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well! - Joe Ancis
Go to Top of Page

peyre

USA
1 Post

Posted - 01/31/2013 :  14:26:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit peyre's Homepage  Send peyre an AOL message  Send peyre a Yahoo! Message Send peyre a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, from what I understand it isn't just a question of celiac or not celiac. There's a difference between an allergy and a sensitivity to allergens...likewise, in addition to celiac sufferers there are some people who are--not allergic, but sensitive--to gluten. For them, as well as celiacs, a gluten-free diet can make a big difference in their lives.

It's still a small part of the population, but I just thought you should be aware that the gluten thing affects more than just celiacs.

Full disclosure: I'm not on any kind of gluten-free diet myself; I've just done some research on it, is all.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2013 :  18:59:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by peyre

Actually, from what I understand it isn't just a question of celiac or not celiac. There's a difference between an allergy and a sensitivity to allergens...likewise, in addition to celiac sufferers there are some people who are--not allergic, but sensitive--to gluten. For them, as well as celiacs, a gluten-free diet can make a big difference in their lives.

It's still a small part of the population, but I just thought you should be aware that the gluten thing affects more than just celiacs.

Full disclosure: I'm not on any kind of gluten-free diet myself; I've just done some research on it, is all.
Sure. I agree. But you know... There are people allergic to peanuts. Probably more than are allergic to glutens. But you don't find "Peanut Free" in big letters on shampoo bottles
and food items, as though peanut free is synonymous with good health. (There are products that do warn people that peanuts are present, but that's a warning to those allergic to peanuts and not a sales gimmick.)

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

lilianjie
Spammer

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2013 :  01:00:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send lilianjie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This article strikes so close to home. My sister-in-law made the decision many years ago that the needed to [xxxxx] go on a gluten-free eating plan. She was having very unexplained signs.... of [xxxxx] something..."just sensation week, just not sensation right" She was examined for coeliac, and the doc said she in no way has it. She made the decision [xxxxx] the doc was wrong and started a gluten-free eating plan and it incredibly treated her.

[Spam links deleted - Dave W.]
Go to Top of Page

carryon

11 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2018 :  23:26:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send carryon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know this has been awhile, but I read the article and did need to make a couple comments. I was diagnosed with Celiac Sprue 16 years ago. There weren't all the items that are gluten free today. However, Celiacs still need to be careful of the items that say, 'GLUTEN FREE'. Unless the item shows the certified gluten free label, they may not meet the requirements set forth as gluten free - less than 20 parts per million.

Unfortunately the labeling for gluten free isn't really regulated.

I do call to find out if my shampoo, conditioner, soap, hand lotion, etc contain gluten bearing ingredients. Dermitis Herpetiformis is not a fun thing to deal with. I'm more apt to have a reaction with products that contain gluten ingredients if I get contaminated. Now whether this is using lotion then consuming a food product and getting gluten into my system by contamination or another type of topical reaction to another ingredient, I don't know. Likely it is some combination.

I do need to supplement Vitamin D, B6, and B12. My deficiencies started prior to the gluten free diet. This was caused by malabsorption of nutrients caused by damage to my small intestine because of the Celiac Sprue. With regard to Vitamin D, CDC states that most of the population are Vitamin D deficient to some extent. This is caused by use of sunscreen and avoiding exposure to the sun. UVB radiation actually promotes the production of Vitamin D. Also, obesity can cause reduced absorption of Vitamin D produced by sun exposure as Vitamin D is a fat soluble vitamin.

Having cooked gluten free meals before the existence of many of the gluten free items currently available, bread type food isn't a necessity. It's appreciated when my sister in law prepares a separate bread item for me, however, it isn't necessary. Most scratch made food items don't have gluten unless the recipe calls for a gluten bearing flour. I just avoid the items I can't guarantee are gluten free, or I ask, I don't necessarily require a completely separate meal.

I do admit that it is nice to go to the store and buy a package of cookies rather than ordering them online. Most of these items are a treat for me, not a part of my regular diet.

I do discourage people from eating gluten free if they don't have Celiac or a diagnosis of some form of gluten intolerance. It really isn't healthy for the average person. I lost 40 lbs going gluten free, but it may have been the fact that I had to make healthier food choices, rather than grabbing fast food.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2018 :  11:03:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I remember when you talked about having Celiacs, carryon Back when you were Trish. ;-)

That was before gluten-free became a fad. While addressing the fad aspect of gluten-free, I always figured it was a boon to those who really do have Celiacs as there were more foods off the shelf that they could buy with confidence. But apparently not so much. Huh.

And yes, I take D supplements too on orders from my doctor. B12 too. For some reason, my body doesn't absorb them the way it used to. So it goes.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

carryon

11 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2018 :  18:09:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send carryon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is a boon for those of us with Celiac. Not only are more products available in the stores. But there are now gluten free options and awareness at most restaurants. Though the risk of cross contamination is still high, I can eat at some restaurants comfortably now. It has made life easier on me.
Go to Top of Page

farrowpledge
Banned

25 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2021 :  02:07:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send farrowpledge a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looking back, it was simpler. Now, it is crazy how far we've come with just a short amount of time.
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.