Natural Childbirth…
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2011 :  21:34:59  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This thread is for posting comments about the SFN article “Natural Childbirth: Under the Skeptical Movement's Radar?” Please try to keep posts on topic. Only registered users may post comments.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.

kallah22

USA
1 Post

Posted - 06/28/2012 :  13:07:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send kallah22 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Chris Duffy is a wonderful midwife working in the Houston area with over 20 years experience. Her care is based on natural principles: eating healthy, herbs, supplements, essential oils and, what is more important, kindness. Her website is:

http://myhealthfreedom.com/

If you are thinking of having a home birth in the area of Houston please consider this superb midwife.

Have a blessed day,

Tamara Blessing

Shalom
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2012 :  00:02:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you so much for the fine "Natural Childbirth" article, Marfknox! It was a much needed addition to skeptical thought.

Home-birthing is simply criminally stupid, unless there is no alternative (sudden labor far from a hospital, etc). Too many fatal complications of childbirth can crop up unexpectedly. How can even the best midwife handle a crisis that suddenly requires a caesarian or other surgical interventions? What kind of neonatal or maternal Intensive Care Unit does she pack in her satchel?

Lamaze and "natural childbirth" exercises can certainly help a prospective mother to deal with the agonies of normal childbirth. But the childbirth itself should be planned to take place in the best hospital environment available.

My first wife and I took a full Lamaze course. We both thought it helped, especially in learning to anticipate the ordeal, and in effectively working with the contractions. But the birth of our daughter took place, as planned, in the best maternity hospital in San Francisco. When minor cutting was required to open the birth channel a bit, both of us agreed at once to a local anesthetic. And our Lamaze instructors, to their credit, had not discouraged either hospital births, or anesthesia. "If you need it, scream for it."

For gosh sakes, anyone expecting to give birth should plan to do so in a hospital, with a full staff of trained physicians and nurses! Doing otherwise is risking pain, injury, and death for both the mother and child. (To say nothing of driving a caring father crazy.) A midwife working alone should only be employed in emergency cases, such as an unexpected labor in a very rural setting.

A HOME-BIRTH WITH A WIDWIFE SHOULD NEVER BE YOUR PLAN A!

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 06/29/2012 00:30:30
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2012 :  07:12:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by kallah22

Chris Duffy is a wonderful midwife working in the Houston area with over 20 years experience. Her care is based on natural principles: eating healthy, herbs, supplements, essential oils and, what is more important, kindness. Her website is:

http://myhealthfreedom.com/

If you are thinking of having a home birth in the area of Houston please consider this superb midwife.

Have a blessed day,

Tamara Blessing
The site you have recommended is so full of baloney, I wouldn't know where to begin. There are anti-vax links, HIV as the cause of AID's is a hoax, and statements that are absolute nonsense. And you promote debunked Laetrile on your facebook page as a cure for cancer.

Thanks for the spam. You are the reason that we do what we do. One of those things is to inform people that even well intended people like you can be dangerously wrong.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  20:23:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
kallah22, wtf, you just create an account to advertise to a bunch of people who aren't even remotely interested in what you are pushing? I'm a big proponent of making pregnancy and childbirth woman-friendly so that needless medical traumatizing doesn't occur, but the safety of the mother's health and life and then the infant life/health are paramount! This article I wrote after my first pregnancy. I've since had my second. I again attempted to have a birth with a midwife with minimal intervention, although I of course did it in a hospital with a certified nurse midwife with lots of experience since I have had a c-section. The result? A uterine rupture. As I was in an excellent hospital with amazing doctors, neither I or my infant were harmed by this very rare but life-threatening occurrence. Had I attempted a home-birth I and my daughter would most likely be dead. Shame on you for promoting home birth. Shame on you.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  20:27:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The result of hospital birth (this is the baby who would be dead had I foolishly attempted a home birth:

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  20:33:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Links to water birth? Seriously? Yeah, babies should really be birthed into a pool of feces. You are an idiot.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2012 :  00:12:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Next time, Marf, don't hold back. Tell 'em how you really feel.

That was the slam-dunk winner for "Best Reply to a Clueless Woo Quack," ever!

Beautiful baby! So glad you used science!

Edited by - HalfMooner on 07/07/2012 00:14:52
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2012 :  02:37:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Look! It's a mini-Marf!

Way to go, you must be proud!

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 07/07/2012 02:38:18
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2012 :  04:12:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

Look! It's a mini-Marf!

Way to go, you must be proud!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds.