Trolling future archeologists
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Hal
Skeptic Friend

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2011 :  15:42:31  Show Profile Send Hal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On another forum, there was a discussion of corpse-disposal preferences that took a promising turn when someone posted that they wanted to confuse future archeologists by being buried with numerous ancient artifacts, and an iphone.

I've never much cared what becomes of my "mortal coil," but this sparked my imagination. If I did decide to make a game of it, I'm thinking I'd like my body to be bound in heavy iron chains with an iron bar run through my heart, and then entombed in a sarcophagus under several tons of granite blocks. The monument should be inscribed with several rows of runes, which must, of course, be completely undecipherable gibberish.

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2011 :  19:33:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have you seen Motel of the Mysteries?
It is the year 4022; all of the ancient country of Usa has been buried under many feet of detritus from a catastrophe that occurred back in 1985. Imagine, then, the excitement that Howard Carson, an amateur archeologist at best, experienced when in crossing the perimeter of an abandoned excavation site he felt the ground give way beneath him and found himself at the bottom of a shaft, which, judging from the DO NOT DISTURB sign hanging from an archaic doorknob, was clearly the entrance to a still-sealed burial chamber. Carson's incredible discoveries, including the remains of two bodies, one of then on a ceremonial bed facing an altar that appeared to be a means of communicating with the Gods and the other lying in a porcelain sarcophagus in the Inner Chamber, permitted him to piece together the whole fabric of that extraordinary civilization.
As for myself, I plan on donating my cadaver to a medical school. Since most of them wind up in basic anatomy classes, I also plan on getting a dotted line tattooed down my spine with "CUT HERE FIRST" written along it. Not original, but still fun.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

alienist
Skeptic Friend

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2011 :  10:39:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send alienist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can also have a tattoo that says "YOu idiot, Don't cut here!"

The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well! - Joe Ancis
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2011 :  11:00:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2011 :  11:40:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Better would be to create a cell phone/communicator using only bronze age materials, of course you have to make sure that you are not buried with anything organic and you'll have to dig up some bronze age charcoal to be found with.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2011 :  11:56:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about you surgically install a device that shocks the students when they cut into you! As a bonus you could insert the tiny game peices from Operation.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Hal
Skeptic Friend

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2011 :  13:42:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Hal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

How about you surgically install a device that shocks the students when they cut into you! As a bonus you could insert the tiny game peices from Operation.

Or have the mortician install some kind of spring-loaded jack-in-the-box device? I think I'm going to watch John Carpenter's The Thing again soon....
Go to Top of Page

podcat
Skeptic Friend

435 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2011 :  13:58:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send podcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

Only if you could make the nose light up if the side was touched during removal.

“In a modern...society, everybody has the absolute right to believe whatever they damn well please, but they don't have the same right to be taken seriously”.

-Barry Williams, co-founder, Australian Skeptics
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds.