Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2011 :  10:35:25  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Go team, go!.....

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-706810?hpt=hp_bn2

iReport - For a second year in a row, American Atheists is posting seasonal
billboards. One of the billboards is located on the New Jersey side, upper
left, just before entering the Lincoln Tunnel into Manhattan. The Lincoln
Tunnel carries almost 120,000 vehicles per day, making it one of the busiest
vehicular tunnels in the world and a prime location for a billboard.

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2011 :  10:54:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Randy.....

CNN.com precedes the picture of the billboard with a screen that states
UNDER REVIEW

This program contains content that has been
flagged as inappropriate and is currently under review

Do you want to continue?
Yes.....Or No,exit this page.

What do we think of the simpering cowards at CNN?
Politically Correct for GOP politics?

I am writing CNN a blistering reply to this wimpy failure to stand up as a NEWS channel - and a posture to protect the idiotic fundamentalists - who don't watch anything but Fox anyway!

Let's get the billboard on MSNBC. FOX sure as hell won't show it to their audience of slack jawed, drooling, bible-thumping imbeciles.
Edited by - bngbuck on 11/22/2011 11:10:40
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2011 :  12:07:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The American Humanist Association is also doing a new campaign this year. Check it out. As is the AHA style, it is much more tame than the American Atheist approach. Kind of boring. They say they mean to start conversations about discrimination against atheists. Ah, the holidays.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2011 :  12:15:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's the AHA's page of stories of discrimination against atheists.

I don't think the "Faith Healing Kills" story about the Hickmans fits because it isn't discrimination against atheists. Although it is an example of religion gone bad as well as how religious exemptions can and are used to benefit people who do real harm.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2011 :  12:48:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Randy

Go team, go!.....

And.... it's gone.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2011 :  13:00:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Go team, go!.....

And.... it's gone.

Strange, it still works for me. I just now cleared my cache and even tried the link in a different browser. The page opens, and I clicked to view other photos of the billboard and they opened as if everything is a.o.k.
I've seen no "Under Review" screen as bngbuck reports.

EDIT TO ADD: Ok, the Under Review screen pops up now. What a bunch of dirt bags.

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Edited by - Randy on 11/22/2011 13:04:53
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2011 :  13:03:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by marfknox

Here's the AHA's page of stories of discrimination against atheists.

I don't think the "Faith Healing Kills" story about the Hickmans fits because it isn't discrimination against atheists. Although it is an example of religion gone bad as well as how religious exemptions can and are used to benefit people who do real harm.

That's really maddening the stories of atheist hate-mongering. Even as Christians, these nematodes should know the difference between government sanctioned and private religious expression and what is proper. Lazy thinkers, the lot of them.

-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2011 :  16:56:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[b]Dave]/b].....

I tried:
six times today including 5 minutes ago. It still works for me.

The website is CNNiReport. And I copied the url on the actual "warning" that the article and picture were maybe "inappropriate" Here is the paste from the copy:
Looks identical.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2011 :  17:51:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

EDIT TO ADD: Ok, the Under Review screen pops up now. What a bunch of dirt bags.
Does for me, too, now. When I posted earlier, all I got was a 404 error page, as if the whole thing had been removed.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2011 :  19:13:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What? Santa's not real? I got more from Santa Clause than every last God ever invented combined. I like how they got my buddy Poseidon up there too, cool.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2011 :  22:52:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It always confused me that Santa used the same wrapping paper for my presents as my parents. And the there was that year I got a present in a blender box just a couple weeks after my parents bought a new blender. Hmmm... probably just Santa testing my faith in him.

Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2011 :  05:50:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Hmmm... probably just Santa testing my faith in him.

Last thing he ever brought me was a winter coat. I couldn't help but think, "That's something my Mother would have bought me."

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2011 :  09:31:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My 2 year old recognizes Santa from cartoons and images she sees in stores. But right now he's just a fictional character to her like Dora the Explorer or Pooh Bear. And he will remain as such. I hate the idea of telling children a present is from stranger who doesn't exist. Better to tell the child who the present is actually from and have them thank that person.

I suppose in a year or two I'll have to explain to her that many other children believe Santa is a real person who delivers toys on Christmas, and that she should be polite about respecting their beliefs while at the same time not being afraid to admit her personal lack of belief. Good practice for dealing with religious people when she's older.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2011 :  09:49:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

It always confused me that Santa used the same wrapping paper for my presents as my parents.
In my wife's family, presents "from Santa" were never wrapped at all.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2011 :  10:45:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote

My 2 year old recognizes Santa from cartoons and images she sees in stores. But right now he's just a fictional character to her like Dora the Explorer or Pooh Bear. And he will remain as such. I hate the idea of telling children a present is from stranger who doesn't exist. Better to tell the child who the present is actually from and have them thank that person.

I suppose in a year or two I'll have to explain to her that many other children believe Santa is a real person who delivers toys on Christmas, and that she should be polite about respecting their beliefs while at the same time not being afraid to admit her personal lack of belief. Good practice for dealing with religious people when she's older.
I certainly like your approach on this Marf.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2011 :  00:45:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What do I see? I see Santa picking his nose....no wait.

That kind of billboard by American Atheists makes an atheist friend of mine cringe. He refuses to use the word "atheist" so as not to offend any allies.

Regarding the AHA billboards, very nice me thinks.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.59 seconds.