New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2011 :  19:23:42  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, is this article employing hyperbole or do you really think that it's laying things out as they are?

I know what I think, and I'm depressed.

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2011 :  20:42:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by the_ignored

So, is this article employing hyperbole or do you really think that it's laying things out as they are?

So am I, Ig; probably about allot of the same things as you. But you know, I'm looking forward to that big turkey face-feed tomorrow and maybe you are in your own way.
Cheers to you!

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2011 :  16:37:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by the_ignored

I share your fears.

The good thing about all this is, since we're already screwed, I don't have to give a shit anymore. I don't have any children on which I have to dump my legacy.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

chefcrsh
Skeptic Friend

Hong Kong
380 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2011 :  19:47:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send chefcrsh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm gonna swim up-stream here and say mostly hyperbole. Not to say that some of what it lays out might not be true or come to pass, but the whole "end of the world is nigh" thing is a very tired and worn out meme, that has failed at every attempt so far. Perhaps my optimism starts with (and why I say mostly) my own thinking that it is a fact that we are all doomed. One of my many favorite quotes is from Don Draper in Mad Men, "It's your life. You don't know how long it's going to be but it's got a bad ending." The doom is explicit in the ending, doubly so if you don't assume any supernatural afterlife. Which is why I enjoy the next line of the quote so much: "You have to move forward. As soon as you can figure out what that is.” It provides the solutions matrix to all of fleeting life's fleeting woes. Of course considering the source that could just be marketing boring a hole through my mind.
Edited by - chefcrsh on 11/27/2011 19:50:03
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2011 :  01:43:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
wiki

Tom Engelhardt is the creator of the Nation Institute's tomdispatch.com, an online blog. He is also the co-founder of the American Empire Project and the author of the 1998 book, The End of Victory Culture: Cold War America and the Disillusioning of a Generation.[1]

Engelhardt graduated from Yale University and took a Master's degree in Area Studies from Harvard University, where he was a founding member of the Committee of Concerned Asian Scholars.

He has written numerous articles and several books including The American Way of War: How Bush's Wars Became Obama's (Haymarket Books).[2]

Tom Englehardt:

.....more stats in a world drowning in numbers. According to AP’s Seth Borenstein, that’s “higher than the worst case scenario outlined by climate experts just four years ago.” He’s talking about the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, or IPCC, which is, if anything, considered "conservative" in its projections of future catastrophe by many climate scientists. Put another way, we’re talking more greenhouse gases than have entered the Earth’s atmosphere in tens of millions of years.

These happen to have been put out by the U.S. Department of Energy and they reflected, as an Associated Press headline put it, the “biggest jump ever seen in global warming gases.” In other words, in 2010, humanity (with a special bow to China, the United States, and onrushing India) managed to pump more carbon dioxide into the atmosphere than at any time since the industrial revolution began -- 564 million more tons than in 2009, which represents an increase of 6%.

chercfsh:

I'm gonna say ... mostly hyperbole.

Go to Top of Page

chefcrsh
Skeptic Friend

Hong Kong
380 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2011 :  02:01:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send chefcrsh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah

Game Over for Planet Earth: The Month’s Biggest Story You Never Read

By the way bngbuck your ... should be between the gonna and say.
Edited by - chefcrsh on 11/28/2011 02:04:08
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2011 :  10:31:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While I think the article might be dealing in some hyperbole, which is not unusual at all, my guess is the figures are accurate in that the IPPC projections were low. And while it might seem that way, I don't think anyone is predicting the end of the world. What is being predicted are climate changes that will have a major impact on weather patterns, sea level, and a lot of uncertainty with regard to prolonged droughts, fishing, and, well... Everything that our relatively stable, and therefor taken for granted weather patterns that we have grown used to, even though mother nature always has some surprises for us, which is a given. The recent tsunami in Japan is a good example of that. Undersea earthquakes will happen regardless of climate change.

But climate change impact there will be. Even without going into worse case scenarios, a great deal of adjustment with concern to how we deal with the environmental impact of climate change is ahead of us. And we are already seeing some those changes in weather patterns and ocean currents.

I suppose the most frustrating part in all of this has been government reaction to the warnings of the climate scientists. And I don't mean just here in the US. Coal is cheap, and so countries like India and China rely heavily on it for energy production. Who can blame them? They are simply getting up to speed with existing technologies. Alternatives are out there, but when we see the meltdowns in Japan, we have to consider the reality of shit happening that is beyond our control, because we can't even think of everything that can go wrong, let alone prepare for them. Shit happens.

I have seen lots of lip service given to viable alternatives to energy production. And that's nice. But as much as we complain about it, there doesn't really seem to be the will, on any scale that will matter, to make those kinds of changes. And when people go outside and it's a nice day, or it's very cold when they are being told that the climate is warming (which is predicted in this climate change) and so on, again, there doesn't seem to be the will to do much about it.

The sky might not be falling, but it is changing. And it will have a major impact on us sooner or later. Canada could become the breadbasket of our hemisphere while we turn into a Sahara sized desert. Who knows?

The end of the world? Nope. How we will adapt is unknown. And the political will to mitigate climate change as best we can doesn't seem to exist, in spite of agreements that say otherwise.

Maybe what we need is a good slap down that can't be explained away as anything but the result of AGW in order to pull our thumbs out and do something. I dunno...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2011 :  11:39:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
crsh....

By the way bngbuck your ... should be between the gonna and say.
OK....

gonna ... say

Wow! Clever stuff, crsh!

What I'm really gonna say is that chefcrsh is clearly on the wrong side of history as regards anthropogenic climate change, calling it "mostly hyperbole." He sounds like a flack for the Bachmann/Perry/Cain Urdummheit cabal.

I'll give you one of your special little treasures, Chef; a clue.
They are losers.

Better go stand in the long line for Give-Fellatio-to Newt Gingrich. At least he's not blindingly stupid like the other mindless midgets currently offered up by the Rethuglicans; he's just bursting full of himself, that is, pure shit. And it's just possible that he might end up giving Willard Romney - the big boy's choice - a haircut.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2011 :  12:01:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bill:
What I'm really gonna say is that chefcrsh is clearly on the wrong side of history as regards anthropogenic climate change, calling it "mostly hyperbole." He sounds like a flack for the Bachmann/Perry/Cain Urdummheit cabal.

I didn't see anything in what Chef wrote that would lead you to that kind of conclusion about his take on climate change, Bill. What he said is that end of the world predictions as in "game over' is hyperbolic language. He also said: "...Not to say that some of what it lays out might not be true or come to pass..." That doesn't sound at all like the flat out denial of AGW politicians you have mentioned.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2011 :  16:35:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So much for taking the high road, Bill.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

chefcrsh
Skeptic Friend

Hong Kong
380 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2011 :  18:55:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send chefcrsh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Guys, bngbuck got a woody for me, and I think most here know what happenes when you think with your hard-on...let it pass.

Originally posted by bngbuck as regards anthropogenic climate change, calling it "mostly hyperbole."
Of course we all know I didn't say anything like that, (funny how forums keep an easily accessible record of what actually occurred) and it is a very shoddy straw man on your part, I'm sure if you applied yourself you could do better at twisting another's words to make a feeble point.

Edited by - chefcrsh on 11/28/2011 19:34:45
Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2011 :  19:05:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I think you went a little too far.

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.
Go to Top of Page

chefcrsh
Skeptic Friend

Hong Kong
380 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2011 :  19:35:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send chefcrsh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Who?
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2011 :  20:06:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well according to what's in the Bible even God isn't so perfect.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2011 :  23:47:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mabuse......

So much for taking the high road, Bill.
Yep. Doesn't seem to do much good, does it Doctor?
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2011 :  23:53:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
chef......

bngbuck got a woody for me!

God, what a thought!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.