Dr. Who reruns via Arecibo
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2011 :  21:28:47  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is almost to bizarre to believe!

Edit to add: Geez, now I see the article is two and half years old.

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Edited by - Randy on 12/11/2011 21:39:19

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2011 :  22:04:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One would have to think the (multi)sources of the reflection would determine greatly the strength of the echo signal, taking in consideration the speed of the broadcast and the most likely varied distances of the reflective sources. The duration of this echo signal would maybe depend on the changing geographic positions of the echo source and the big ear.

Where are follow up news articles? Will dig some more later.

It's sure obvious that news of the weird like this does pass over a lot of us at one time.

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2011 :  22:40:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Obviously they received a very weak signal. I do know Arecibo can kick butt in receiving tiny signals. What would be interesting to read is just how attenuated a signal this is in relation to what the big ear can resolve.
I guess we can look forward to reruns now of I Love Lucy, Petticoat Junction, Combat, and eventually.......

Guess Aericebo didn't have their ears pointed in the right direction to receive one of TV's first broadcast of the late '30's Hitler Berlin Olympics, as portrayed in the movie Contact.

-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Tim Thompson

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2011 :  22:52:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Tim Thompson's Homepage Send Tim Thompson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First clue: that webpage is dated April 1 2009.
Second clue: It looks just like a BBC webpage but the host is rimmel.com, not BBC.
Might not be a real news item.

The point of philosophy is to start with something so simple as not to seem worth stating, and to end with something so paradoxical that no one will believe it. -- Bertrand Russell
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2011 :  22:56:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh well, I was going to suggest, maybe there are other reflective regions that will bounce back other shows from the past. There is a radio telescope called ALMA the largest in the world, so far, that recently went online. They should use that. but Tim let the cat out of the bag. We could have had a little fun you know! Maybe next time Randy.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Edited by - sailingsoul on 12/11/2011 22:59:43
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2011 :  23:08:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Tim Thompson

First clue: that webpage is dated April 1 2009.
Second clue: It looks just like a BBC webpage but the host is rimmel.com, not BBC.
Might not be a real news item.

I didn't catch the url prefix.
[/embarrassed icon]

Edit to add: nice little bit of sci-fi anywho.
And SS, you deleted your earlier reply.

-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Edited by - Randy on 12/11/2011 23:17:22
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2011 :  23:16:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought you knew Randy. My BS alarm was pretty loud until I checked the date , I was hoping to see what others would comment. ooops

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2011 :  23:29:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by sailingsoul

I thought you knew Randy. My BS alarm was pretty loud until I checked the date , I was hoping to see what others would comment. ooops

Quite a wild story to begin with. Thanks to Tim seeing that 'now glaring' give-away on the URL.

Arecibo is one powerful ear; but would be fun to know, given this work of fiction's claim, just what would be the limits. I know many years ago, the surface of Venus had been mapped with Earth-bound radar (image shown in a many-years-old Time/Life book on the Solar System).

-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2011 :  00:03:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Randy

Edit to add: nice little bit of sci-fi anywho.
And SS, you deleted your earlier reply.

Yeah, it would have been third. I said, what makes you say "almost" but on second thought I didn't want to give it away so fast so I deleted it and sent you an email. I was curious to see if others would be fooled and actually thought you were on to it from the beginning too. It is funny though.

Go to Top of Page

Tim Thompson

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2011 :  00:11:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Tim Thompson's Homepage Send Tim Thompson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Arecibo is one powerful ear; but would be fun to know, given this work of fiction's claim, just what would be the limits.

The Arecibo antenna is capable of detecting its twin all the way across the galaxy, about 100,000 light years away (if it is beamed at maximum power). But it probably could not do what the "article" claimed. A reflected signal, unlike a direct signal, varies as the inverse fourth power of the distance, instead of inverse square, because the reflection adds an inverse square to the original inverse square. Broadcast signals are very weak and probably undetectable, even by Arecibo, over 50 light years under normal (inverse square) conditions. So making it a reflected signal probably makes it impossible.

I know many years ago, the surface of Venus had been mapped with Earth-bound radar (image shown in a many-years-old Time/Life book on the Solar System).

Arecibo can do that (Arecibo Radar Images of Planets). But the real radar mapping of the surface of Venus was carried out by the Magellan Radar Mapper. I was unhappy with NASA when they changed the name of the mission to Magellan from Venus Orbiting Imaging Radar because the acronym VOIR is the infinitive of the French verb "to see", so it was a great double-entendre.

My graduate adviser was Roland Carpenter (who passed away in 2008). He was one of the first to use Goldstone radar to measure the rotation rate of Venus (Goldstein & Carpenter, 1963; Carpenter, 1964; Carpenter, 1966; Carpenter, 1970). This was his PhD thesis topic. He demonstrated that Venus was not really rotating in step with Earth, as some had previously thought.

The point of philosophy is to start with something so simple as not to seem worth stating, and to end with something so paradoxical that no one will believe it. -- Bertrand Russell
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds.