New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2011 :  22:22:02  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK, at chat tonight I was met with Great Skepticism about cooking spaghetti in my cast iron frying pan. Yeah, yeah, I know, I was skeptical too but after my third time cooking it this way, I'm really impressed at how much faster and how well it comes out cooked. I "Stumpled Upon" it not long ago, here. The comments are interesting too.
I will be awaiting any replies for those brave enough to try it.

The next time you make pasta, instead of waiting for a huge pot of water to boil before you add pasta, consider starting with cold water and a large frying pan to get the pasta cooked perfectly, quickly, and with just enough pasta water left in the pan for a sauce to go with your meal.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS

chefcrsh
Skeptic Friend

Hong Kong
380 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2011 :  23:20:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send chefcrsh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
McGee is the real deal.

Actually most of what you are doing when you are "cooking" dried pasta is rehydrating it. Fresh pasta cooks in seconds. And you can rehydrate pasta just by soaking it for a time. This is very easy for big pasta like caneloni or lazagna, but tends to become more difficult with smaller pastas which will tend to clump and so have dry patches. If you are gonna have to stir you might as well speed things up.

I suspect the whole big pot of water myth began with large family meals and production kitchens where the valume of cooking and stirring makes it much more practical to have a lot of lubricant (water) between the noodles. It is much easier to stir 10 gallons of water with 5 pounds of pasta in it than to stir 5 pounds of pasta with scant water.

The comments are ridiculous...the whole line of health concern over eating the pasta starch in the pan...what do they think they are eating when they are eating the pasta?!
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2011 :  23:57:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was wondering what your take would be chefcrsh. I'll take that as a thumbs up. I don't know but I thought the concerned comments about the "starch water" was shot down nicely for the same reason you stated. I expect it will take some days before any adventurous skeptics get around to trying it, if ever and gives a report.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2011 :  00:58:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
SS.....

Just common sense, SS.Anyone who has cooked relatively small batches of pasta frequently will tend to minimize the water volume as much as possible. Finishing the noodle in a completed sauce is an excellent idea, also, but try not to exceed the al dente texture if possible. A pasta machine will deliver a noodle that can be finished in a marinara or Bolognese sauce without ever being exposed to boiling water.

The comments about "starch water" are just ludicrous.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2011 :  03:16:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay then. I guess I should try it. The way I figured it was that the larger amount of water kept the starchy exterior from becoming sticky. I often hit it with a little olive oil too, either in the water or after it's boiled, for the same reason. But what the hell?

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

chefcrsh
Skeptic Friend

Hong Kong
380 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2011 :  04:12:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send chefcrsh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kil the reason pasta first sticks when it is thrown into the pot of boiling water is because the very outer layer of the pasta strands gel and expand into one each other, creating a kind of glue that keeps the water from getting in between the strands. You can check this by removing one of the stuck-together strands and peeling them apart, you will see that the parts that were in contact are still hard and dry but the edges where they met with the water are gelled. When you put the dry pasta in cold water first it does not gel (quick enough) and so the water finds its way bewteen each strand. Thus when the water gets hot and the pasta begins to gel the strands are - like a fire walker - already separated by a layer of water.

Hot al-dente pasta right out of the water is plenty slippery too, but as soon as it begins to cool those gelled starches become very viscous and begin to stick again. As bngbuck hinted at, It is always best to go right from the cooking medium into the finishing sauce. Do not rinse...unless you are afraid of that unhealthy pasta starch.

If you are prepping for a later ala minute service where you can't cook the pasta last minute cook the pasta extra extra al-dente drain, toss in olive oil and lay it out in a thin layer it on a baking sheet in the freezer for a minute to stop the cooking. (Or use fresh pasta) And just cook it in the finishing sauce for a minute or so for service.
Edited by - chefcrsh on 12/22/2011 04:15:02
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2011 :  06:56:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by chefcrsh

McGee is the real deal.

Actually most of what you are doing when you are "cooking" dried pasta is rehydrating it. Fresh pasta cooks in seconds. And you can rehydrate pasta just by soaking it for a time. This is very easy for big pasta like caneloni or lazagna, but tends to become more difficult with smaller pastas which will tend to clump and so have dry patches. If you are gonna have to stir you might as well speed things up.

I suspect the whole big pot of water myth began with large family meals and production kitchens where the valume of cooking and stirring makes it much more practical to have a lot of lubricant (water) between the noodles. It is much easier to stir 10 gallons of water with 5 pounds of pasta in it than to stir 5 pounds of pasta with scant water.

The comments are ridiculous...the whole line of health concern over eating the pasta starch in the pan...what do they think they are eating when they are eating the pasta?!

But, chef, that's the drained pasta where all the e-vile pasta starch is magically removed.

(ducks and hides)

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2011 :  06:59:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Kil the reason pasta first sticks when it is thrown into the pot of boiling water is because the very outer layer of the pasta strands gel and expand into one each other, creating a kind of glue that keeps the water from getting in between the strands. You can check this by removing one of the stuck-together strands and peeling them apart, you will see that the parts that were in contact are still hard and dry but the edges where they met with the water are gelled. When you put the dry pasta in cold water first it does not gel (quick enough) and so the water finds its way bewteen each strand. Thus when the water gets hot and the pasta begins to gel the strands are - like a fire walker - already separated by a layer of water.

Hot al-dente pasta right out of the water is plenty slippery too, but as soon as it begins to cool those gelled starches become very viscous and begin to stick again. As bngbuck hinted at, It is always best to go right from the cooking medium into the finishing sauce. Do not rinse...unless you are afraid of that unhealthy pasta starch.

If you are prepping for a later ala minute service where you can't cook the pasta last minute cook the pasta extra extra al-dente drain, toss in olive oil and lay it out in a thin layer it on a baking sheet in the freezer for a minute to stop the cooking. (Or use fresh pasta) And just cook it in the finishing sauce for a minute or so for service.

What the hell.

I think I'm going to try this the next time I make spaghetti.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

chefcrsh
Skeptic Friend

Hong Kong
380 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2011 :  09:44:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send chefcrsh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by sailingsoul

ur an inspiration...

http://achefatlarge.com/blog/?p=994
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2011 :  10:18:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Kil the reason pasta first sticks when it is thrown into the pot of boiling water is because the very outer layer of the pasta strands gel and expand into one each other, creating a kind of glue that keeps the water from getting in between the strands.
So, if I need to make a large amount of dry pasta, would it be better to put it into a pot of cold water and turn up the heat rather than dropping it into boiling water?

Note: I also posted this question on your blog which I might as well plug:

http://achefatlarge.com/blog/?p=994&cpage=1#top

Edited to add: I didn't notice that Chef had already provided a link.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2011 :  11:12:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure with all that's going on but I'm the two ways are not similar, Kil.
The two ways being, less water (cold) in a skillet and a large pot of cold water, for starters.
It would seem to me the frying pan allows the water to heat up way faster than the large pot could.
This difference would result in the pasta in the pot to sit in the colder water a lot longer before it reaches higher temps. The temperature dynamics are pretty different throughout the two different cooking methods. If your talking about starting with cold water. Try the video's described way when you get the chance and see what you get. Don't go off on tangents so fast. Science (knowledge) builds on itself slowly.

Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2011 :  11:17:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Originally posted by sailingsoul

ur an inspiration...

http://achefatlarge.com/blog/?p=994
I'm happy to be so, this one time. Excellent write up chefcrsh.

It can happen to anyone, "even a broken watch is right twice a day".

edit to add,,, The last comment was about me being an inspiration not about the write up.

Edited by - sailingsoul on 12/23/2011 13:55:33
Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2011 :  08:29:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Whatever you do, don't fry gnocchi!

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2011 :  11:49:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by The Rat

Whatever you do, don't fry gnocchi!

Awesome!

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

chefcrsh
Skeptic Friend

Hong Kong
380 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2011 :  22:47:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send chefcrsh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://youtu.be/Wr4VbAjB5Ko
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2011 :  00:11:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote

http://youtu.be/Wr4VbAjB5Ko

See what you inspired, SS? I hope this works with penne pasta, because my plan is to use this method tomorrow evening.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds.