Our Skeptic Forums
 General Skepticism
 Is this philosophy of mine misguided?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PhilosopherQueen

4 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2012 :  14:25:32  Show Profile Send PhilosopherQueen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My claim is simple: people enjoy many arbitrary activities due to their own subconscious baggage which we've aquired as a result of an weird lifestyle, removed from the the aggression of hunter-gatherer society. Probably partially genetics too, but that alone doesn't explain the huge differences between people. This isn't bad, but it means activities which don't induce intensity are boring to those less neurotic. An alternate approach to living intensely is seeing new twists on the old archetypal concepts. Note that since different people carry different baggage, then there's no real, bigger justification for carrying the baggage one does except "I'm me, I'm gonna arbitrarily continue to be that way". Here are some examples to demonstrate different ways the baggage can show it self, and how it forms the personality.

“All writers are vain, selfish and lazy, and at the very bottom of their motives lies a mystery. Writing a book is a long, exhausting struggle, like a long bout of some painful illness. One would never undertake such a thing if one were not driven by some demon whom one can neither resist nor understand.” - George Orwell.

Wittgenstein said philosophy repels those who suspect it is a timewaste due to language confusion in it, thus reinforcing language confusion in it. Too many philosophers have been freaks, this makes it overly obvious how society's unminimalistic unnaturality has gotten to them SOMEHOW.

Non-physics scientists? "All science is either physics or stamp collecting." - Rutherford telling it like it is regarding the gruntwork that is science, and yet those in it work long hours. The abstract parts of science as bloated (i.e. few jobs) also in the west and they too attract freaks. Mathematicians actually think of numbers as beautiful; how baggage-y. Now if one really tries to understand a subject there may be new such archetypes to uncover, new paradigms so to say but if one has taken to a bit more meta-y perspective beforehand it quickly becomes obvious only so much is ever possible within every such paradigm so its not that exciting after all.

Idealism, morality. "act so as to treat people always as ends in themselves, never as mere means." yeah who cares? Life goes on whether some philosopher sits around in his house. To care about the things Kant and others do is just an arbitrary use of one's time. They must carry much subconscious baggage to have such great passion.

Perfectionism, aestheticism in general. Why care if a cord is a little messy? Some people actually care about such bull. A painting too. It's just a painting. That's that. While research has been done into human appreciation of symmetry and such, it doesn't explain overly strong neatfreakery and how neatfreaks make a life out of aestheticism. If anything human appreciation of such should only only be a minor sidething to humanity. How can it not be their subconscious, unecessary baggage giving them an artificial enjoyment boost?

Just visiting places. A city or whatever is really just another variation of the same old, same old archetype, only the specifics vary.

Or pershaps something has passed me by, not illuminated by my limited psyche. If there is something more to it ultimately, then I sure would like to see it. Further clarifications of terms can be given. I want to discuss as I don't feel I can be entirely certain without that. Note: I have nothing against society.

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2012 :  16:03:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Am I reading this right? Your claim seems to boil down to "different strokes for different folks."

If so, yeah. Whatever cremes your Twinkie.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2012 :  16:24:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
PhilosopherQueen.....

Your OP asks:
Is this philosophy of mine misguided?
Misguided with respect to what?

1. Different baggage for different folks?

2. All writers are mildly insane, also obsessive to a fault?

3. Wittgenstein's Tractatus is tenditious?

4. All science is either physics or stamp collecting. Biology is a science that is not physics; therefore Biology is stamp collecting?

5. Neatfreaks are closet epicureans?

Or perhaps something has passed me by, not illuminated by my limited psyche. If there is something more to it ultimately, then I sure would like to see it
What is it? A great deal has passed by most folks, there are limits to man's ability to notice, analyze, absorb or reject all of the vast panoply of knowledge and information that flows in an endless torrent through each person's life. You are probably missing 90% of that which is available to you, but sit down and try to memorize the Wikipedia and you understand the inevitability of missing much that "passes you by."

7. If you squint your eyes, you can't tell if you are in Paris or New York?

8. To care about the things Kant and others do is just an arbitrary use of one's time.

As compared to non-arbitrary uses of one's time?

I guess I just have to ask: Are you making a point, or just introspecting in public?

Both appear here frequently, so welcome to SFN and carry on!
Edited by - bngbuck on 01/01/2012 16:57:23
Go to Top of Page

Hal
Skeptic Friend

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2012 :  17:35:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Hal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of."

- TMBG
Go to Top of Page

PhilosopherQueen

4 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2012 :  11:59:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send PhilosopherQueen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My point is that people get artifical enjoyment boosts when doing activities, and the boost originates in baggage which has no reason to be there except "that's the way I am". Since I believe one can rid oneself of baggage by studying psychology, philosophy and culture (and pershaps doing a few other things), that means once one has rid oneself of baggage its difficult, if not impossible getting mired in it again... So then what? Intense experiences seem to be the best option left, as pleasure is good, and the stronger the better so... Other options would be weaker pleasures, and seeing variations of the same concepts (intellectual explorations is filled with that).
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2012 :  12:46:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by PhilosopherQueen

My point is that people get artifical enjoyment boosts when doing activities, and the boost originates in baggage which has no reason to be there except "that's the way I am". Since I believe one can rid oneself of baggage by studying psychology, philosophy and culture (and pershaps doing a few other things), that means once one has rid oneself of baggage its difficult, if not impossible getting mired in it again... So then what? Intense experiences seem to be the best option left, as pleasure is good, and the stronger the better so... Other options would be weaker pleasures, and seeing variations of the same concepts (intellectual explorations is filled with that).
emphasis added

So it's next to impossible to not repeated the same mistake over and over again? We recognize the baggage, get rid of the baggage, and then reacquire the baggage.

Artificial or not, I am not sure how a behavior which elicits pleasure is considered baggage.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

PhilosopherQueen

4 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2012 :  13:45:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send PhilosopherQueen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
moakley, let me give you an example http://orwell.ru/library/essays/wiw/english/e_wiw .

"For this and other reasons I was somewhat lonely, and I soon developed disagreeable mannerisms which made me unpopular throughout my schooldays. I had the lonely child's habit of making up stories and holding conversations with imaginary persons, and I think from the very start my literary ambitions were mixed up with the feeling of being isolated and undervalued. I knew that I had a facility with words and a power of facing unpleasant facts, and I felt that this created a sort of private world in which I could get my own back for my failure in everyday life"

So many people enjoy writing but there are tons of people out there like this who have these kinds of things subconsciously influencing them and also causing more consequences which lead to more baggage. As for mistake one may end up doing the same things, but one's overal mentality will improve and I believe less likely to do certain mistakes.
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2012 :  08:00:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Soooo! Do you have any other links you would like to posts?

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2012 :  09:28:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by PhilosopherQueen

moakley, let me give you an example http://orwell.ru/library/essays/wiw/english/e_wiw .
Maybe you should take a moment. The George Orwell essay you linked to has little to do with supporting your notion of the subconscious taking over or the accumulation of baggage. It has more to do with earnest introspection. A very conscious effort.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2012 :  10:49:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by moakley
Maybe you should take a moment. The George Orwell essay you linked to has little to do with supporting your notion of the subconscious taking over or the accumulation of baggage. It has more to do with earnest introspection. A very conscious effort.

I'm thinking this isn't about any philosophy which doesn't even make sense but about posting links. TWT!

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

PhilosopherQueen

4 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2012 :  14:52:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send PhilosopherQueen a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Yeah, he's introspecting over things which thoroughly affected him, and drive him. The rest of his latter experienced is influenced by that indirectly or directly, as long as he can't go over into a more "default" state of little baggage.

Everyone else has peculiar pet peeves and tendencies, so no one is removed from baggage. So what matters then is the degree of it, less is better. Examples?

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/real-healing/201107/stressed-out-maxed-out

Burnout can have its roots in childhood. Studies show that children who were bullied, who experienced abuse or neglect, had a parent in prison, lived in a home where there was mental illness, violence, substance abuse or the loss of a parent through any cause were more prone to develop diseases such as emphysema, mental health problems, substance abuse and obesity. These childhood experiences can predispose to burnout and the associated health and psychological problems in adolescence and adulthood.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/choke/201111/want-successfully-manage-your-emotions-be-flexible

These two links alone don't cover the entirety of baggage (of course not), but both, including this one link expands on it. As you see there, it states that there are ways to regulate emotions... some people are really bad at it and may end up depressed, however that's quite extreme, it's obviously not binary. The more one masters oneself the less unecessary baggage (which doesn't have to be full-out depression!) will one aquire as a result of one's fears.

So I wouldn't say its as easy as ridding oneself and reaquiring, at least its not that way if one gains sufficient self-awareness and the skills to be sturdy.
Edited by - PhilosopherQueen on 01/12/2012 14:54:33
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.