Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2012 :  21:37:14  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As many of you know, I've adopted the Philippines as my residence, though the reverse may not be true. So it behooves me to try to stay on top of events here.

One recent development: The Philippine's Department of Tourism has launched a tourist campaign around the slogan, "It's More Fun in the Philippines." This slogan has been criticized here in the Philippines for being silly, and for being a direct theft of a 1950's Swiss tourism slogan:

The purloined slogan has become an instant Internet "meme" for Filipinos to post photos with variation of "[Photo subject.] More Fun in the Philippines" for captions.

Filipinos have been having a lot of fun with this meme.

Some of my favorites:

This happens so regularly that there's a Filipino word for it, Bayanihan.

There are many more examples.

Never one to leave excellent enough alone, I searched for more images, in order to add my own text contributions to the "More Fun" meme (I did not otherwise manipulate the following images):

(The "psychic surgeon" above is the hater of Igorots and former Baguio Mayor, Ramon "Jun" Labo.)

(Believe me, after the loss of my Chihuahua, Missy to the dog-meat
trade, I do not think of the above image as anything but darkly humorous.)

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 01/19/2012 09:47:09

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2012 :  22:08:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hooo-hoo, Halfmooner! You are a hoot and a half! Shame on the Philippine tourist industry skirting the above "attractions".
;^)

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2012 :  22:19:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Randy!

I sometimes think of the Philippines as closely fitting the first sentence of Charles Dickens' A Tale of Two Cities:
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way--in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2012 :  23:13:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks great! I'm on my way!!!

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2012 :  23:37:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

Thanks, and good! I could put you up here in your own room, until you get your own quarters.

Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2012 :  16:07:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Piracy. More fun in the Philippines.

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2012 :  16:22:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Hawks

Piracy. More fun in the Philippines.
Good one, Hawks!

Maybe we need the slogan, "Every Dream, Every Nightmare: Tour the Philippines!"

Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2012 :  20:52:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Baluts - more 'yum' in the Philippines."*

* (No 'yum' anywhere else!)
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2012 :  21:26:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Originally posted by Kil

Thanks, and good! I could put you up here in your own room, until you get your own quarters.
It would be nice to have quarters. Dollars would be even better! I'm too poor to move to a poor country!

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2012 :  23:46:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oooo, thanks, Mooner!

"Cosplay"? I'm not familiar with that reference. The feathery image in the link is colorful and beautiful.

Of course the nails should be in the lower arm (between the two bones), otherwise the nail would too easily rip through. Well, hurrah for the pain of the stupid doing such lame simulations of such christy thingies.

That roasted dog head looks like how my snouter would after such a roasting. {whimper}
Edited by - ThorGoLucky on 01/17/2012 23:53:43
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2012 :  00:14:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by ThorGoLucky

Oooo, thanks, Mooner!

"Cosplay"? I'm not familiar with that reference. The feathery image in the link is colorful and beautiful.

Of course the nails should be in the lower arm (between the two bones), otherwise the nail would too easily rip through. Well, hurrah for the pain of the stupid doing such lame simulations of such christy thingies.

That roasted dog head looks like how my snouter would after such a roasting. {whimper}

Thanks for the encouragement, Thor.

"Cosplay" is dressing up in costumes, especially as manga, anime and popular movie and television character. I believe it became popular by that name in Japan.

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2012 :  01:20:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by ThorGoLucky

Oooo, thanks, Mooner!

They should be using a straight claw hammer too. Only amateurs use a round claw.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2012 :  03:04:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

They should be using a straight claw hammer too. Only amateurs use a round claw.

Unless they are doing finishing work. I'd call crucifixion a sort of "finishing."

Edited by - HalfMooner on 01/18/2012 03:06:55
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2012 :  08:34:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Originally posted by Kil

Unless they are doing finishing work. I'd call crucifixion a sort of "finishing."
I am a finish guy. I use a straight claw. Though I must admit, the kind of work being done in that photo come up rarely.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2012 :  08:49:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

. . .

Though I must admit, the kind of work being done in that photo come up rarely...
Well, this ain't LA.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 01/19/2012 00:05:08
Go to Top of Page

podcat
Skeptic Friend

435 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2012 :  20:57:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send podcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Originally posted by Kil

Reminds me of Keith Olbermann quoting a tasteless joke from "The Young Ones". Something to the effect of "The problem with self-crucifixion is that you can never get in the last nail".

“In a modern...society, everybody has the absolute right to believe whatever they damn well please, but they don't have the same right to be taken seriously”.

-Barry Williams, co-founder, Australian Skeptics
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.39 seconds.