Deja vu
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2012 :  07:47:11  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What is deja vu? A feeling of experiencing an event before. What triggers it though. just a few minutes ago i had this feeling. i was pulling charts for the day. now while i do this everyday I do not have these feelings. Surely one could say it is because I do this activity on a regular basis. But it was not so much the activity as the exact clients i was pulling. Maybe Deja Vu is a certain precognition of what is to come.

Storm

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2012 :  08:50:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Storm

What is deja vu? A feeling of experiencing an event before. What triggers it though. just a few minutes ago i had this feeling. i was pulling charts for the day. now while i do this everyday I do not have these feelings. Surely one could say it is because I do this activity on a regular basis. But it was not so much the activity as the exact clients i was pulling. Maybe Deja Vu is a certain precognition of what is to come.
Hi Storm. How ya doing?

From wiki:

The most likely explanation of déjà vu is not that it is an act of "precognition" or "prophecy", but rather that it is an anomaly of memory, giving the false impression that an experience is "being recalled".[2][3] This explanation is supported by the fact that the sense of "recollection" at the time is strong in most cases, but that the circumstances of the "previous" experience (when, where, and how the earlier experience occurred) are quite uncertain or believed to be impossible. Likewise, as time passes, subjects can exhibit a strong recollection of having the "unsettling" experience of déjà vu itself, but little or no recollection of the specifics of the event(s) or circumstance(s) they were "remembering" when they had the déjà vu experience. In particular, this may result from an overlap between the neurological systems responsible for short-term memory and those responsible for long-term memory (events which are perceived as being in the past). The events would be stored into memory before the conscious part of the brain even receives the information and processes it.

I suggest reading the whole page, because there are several possibilities for déjà vu that don't require a paranormal explanation. Memories are fascinating things and while the science is getting better on the mechanisms, they are still not fully understood. What is known is that some kinds of memories are not particularly reliable. In any case, it would be wisest to rule out more mundane explanations before coming speculating on more extraordinary ones because the existence of anything at all paranormal has not been established.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D%C3%A9j%C3%A0_vu

This video is very good on the subject too:

What is Déjà vu?

Here's another very good article on Déjà vu.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2012 :  09:06:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hey I am doing great long time no speak. Been busy having more kids!!!! Let first say i do not find Dejavu to be anything paranormal and while we do not know all about memory.. this seemed to me not about memory it was the exact order of clients. just a strange experience. but nothing paranormal. that is a whole another topic.

Storm
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2012 :  09:38:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote

hey I am doing great long time no speak. Been busy having more kids!!!! Let first say i do not find Dejavu to be anything paranormal and while we do not know all about memory.. this seemed to me not about memory it was the exact order of clients. just a strange experience. but nothing paranormal. that is a whole another topic.
Well. You used the term precognition .

Anyhow, it's good to see you back here!

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2012 :  09:47:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So does precognition have only to do with paranormal? I must disagree, I have many precognitive experiences.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2012 :  10:11:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote

So does precognition have only to do with paranormal? I must disagree, I have many precognitive experiences.
Most dictionaries link it to ESP. So no matter how you are using it, precognition is mostly associated with paranormal abilities.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/precognitive

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2012 :  10:23:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well let us put aside what the dictionary says.. or maybe ESP has nothing to do with paranormal but the brain only. when you say paranormal i think of the pseudoscientific explanations that other wordly beings are interfering or causing these things to happen. I do not believe this to be true that goes for the phenomenon of ghosts as well. So what is the skeptic definition of paranormal/
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2012 :  10:36:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sorry. But ESP is a paranormal claim. I know that you think we have ability to transfer thoughts and such. But until it's been demonstrated that we actually can, the claim is paranormal.

Paranormal means that it's beyond the range of scientific explanation. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paranormal

Having said that, if we do find out that ESP exists, and can explain it by scientific means, it will cease being a paranormal claim.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2012 :  10:46:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
and how are we to test these claims. wires in the brain watching an image on the screen and concentrating so hard to the other person? What if has nothing to do with that? what if it is the level of hormones in a body.. or a certain temerature
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2012 :  10:52:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote

and how are we to test these claims. wires in the brain watching an image on the screen and concentrating so hard to the other person? What if has nothing to do with that? what if it is the level of hormones in a body.. or a certain temerature
What if my aunt had nuts? She'd be my uncle!

The problem with what if's is they are not informative in any way. As long as something can't be tested, it's a metaphysical claim and must remain so. We can speculate on anything. That's the easy part.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2012 :  12:49:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What ifs while they might not be informative lead us to ask questions and test certain theories. So they are important to the debate. the question is are their those who willing to test. in the past they have but those tests centered on complete concentration.. what if it has nothing to do with concentration. but something else in the body chemistry
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.