Religion
 Political correctness
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

djpats

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2012 :  22:50:32  Show Profile  Visit djpats's Homepage Send djpats a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There has been a big thing going around about political correctness. What I have to say about it - it's hypocritical and lopsided. No joke. It's mainly targeted toward Christians. Okay, I'll be straight-up. I'm a Christian. So to be honest, if we're going to all throw a conniption fit about being politically correct, shouldn't the rule be all-inclusive? Meaning that if a Christian is going to get his butt chewed because he put up Nativity scenes around his cubicle, shouldn't the Jew next door get the same treatment for putting up a menorah or hanging a star of David?
To be fair, I have nothing against people of other faiths. But I'm saying that I do have something against being at the butt-end of this hypocrisy. I say everyone either make it a standard, or, more wisely, just wipe out political correctness altogether. It makes no sense.

chefcrsh
Skeptic Friend

Hong Kong
380 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2012 :  00:25:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send chefcrsh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
djpats are you residing in the USA?
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2012 :  06:11:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by djpats

There has been a big thing going around about political correctness. ...

A lot of generalizations. Is there anything in particular that you wanted to talk about.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2012 :  08:19:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I'm a Christian.
Why?
So to be honest, if we're going to all throw a conniption fit about being politically correct, shouldn't the rule be all-inclusive? Meaning that if a Christian is going to get his butt chewed because he put up Nativity scenes around his cubicle, shouldn't the Jew next door get the same treatment for putting up a menorah or hanging a star of David?
Because you used the word "cubicle," I can only assume that you're talking about an office environment, in which case denying some religious expression while allowing others may be discrimination in violation of the law. In other words, the "political correctness" is already mandated to be "all-inclusive."

Of course, if you could provide more details, that'd be good. Were the nativity scenes (plural?!) obstructive or taking up too much of the employee's time? Was the employee using the nativity scenes to obviously proselytize? Those would be secular reasons for denying one while allowing others, for examples.
To be fair, I have nothing against people of other faiths. But I'm saying that I do have something against being at the butt-end of this hypocrisy. I say everyone either make it a standard, or, more wisely, just wipe out political correctness altogether. It makes no sense.
It doesn't make any sense to you because you didn't know that there are already standards in place, both Federally and in your state. Sometimes, those standards are violated by employers who go too far in trying not to "offend" anyone. The ACLU has been successful in defending peoples' right to reasonable religious expression in the workplace, you might suggest to the employee that he/she contact them.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2012 :  10:15:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
By the way, djpats, that's an interesting Facebook comment you made last night. Was it our little forum that you referenced? Be sure to let us know when you will be unleashing the kraken.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

djpats

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2012 :  21:33:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit djpats's Homepage Send djpats a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

By the way, djpats, that's an interesting Facebook comment you made last night. Was it our little forum that you referenced? Be sure to let us know when you will be unleashing the kraken.

My apologies Dave, I'm a controversy junkie and to be honest yes the post was about the forum. If it came off as rude I really wasn't trying to do that.
Go to Top of Page

djpats

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2012 :  21:38:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit djpats's Homepage Send djpats a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And fair enough, to everyone. I suppose I should have been more specific. The word "scenes" was a typo, I meant "scene". The deal was that my office mate wasn't proseletyzing with his nativity scene, but when that was put up he got in trouble because it could possibly offend someone, and my point was that I'd be okay with that reprimand (not really) had the Jewish guy next to him been required to take down his menorah.
Once again with the facebook thing, my friend made the kraken comment and I thought it was HILARIOUS but that doesn't mean I'm intending to attack members of this forum.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2012 :  08:13:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

The deal was that my office mate wasn't proseletyzing with his nativity scene, but when that was put up he got in trouble because it could possibly offend someone, and my point was that I'd be okay with that reprimand (not really) had the Jewish guy next to him been required to take down his menorah.
Seriously: suggest to your office mate that he contact the state branch of the ACLU.
Once again with the facebook thing, my friend made the kraken comment and I thought it was HILARIOUS but that doesn't mean I'm intending to attack members of this forum.
I didn't read it that way (and perhaps my comment needed a winky-icon). I took it to mean that your friend thinks that you have some killer argument for use against skeptics. If so, I'm dying to hear it.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.15 seconds.