Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Community Forums
 Moonscape News
 "Ma Belle Kit" revolutionizes your cell phone!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2012 :  11:48:36  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2012 :  22:33:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's actually a grain of truth in my nonsense above. It's bothered me for some time that cell phones are one of the few examples of mass technology that has actually regressed in quality from what existed over a century ago. At least in terms of voice quality and reliability, landline telephony of the late 1800's was probably superior. (The little detail like the portability thing, I grant, is a major advance. )

We now accept as a given (though often we do so with little grace) signal quality that would have prompted regulatory intervention in the bad old days of one cable pair, one telephone company.

Go to Top of Page

chefcrsh
Skeptic Friend

Hong Kong
380 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2012 :  02:22:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send chefcrsh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oi! Then you would not enjoy reading Being Digital by Negroponte. Just think of the incredible resource waste that is the fax, by the time fax (essentially an email in and out box attached to a modem, hooked up to a printer) was affordable email was more so and far more easy and friendly but damned those mammals and their need for paper and signatures. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Being_Digital
Edited by - chefcrsh on 02/19/2012 02:23:57
Go to Top of Page

chefcrsh
Skeptic Friend

Hong Kong
380 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2012 :  02:25:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send chefcrsh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You may also enjoy Jeff Bezo's wander down memory lane.

http://www.ted.com/talks/jeff_bezos_on_the_next_web_innovation.html
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2012 :  05:33:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks much for the interesting links, chfcrsh. I want to make clear that I treasure what technology can do. It's just this one backward movement that voice telephony has made that leaves me utterly gobsmacked. It boggles my mind to think that so many millions -- including myself -- are accepting cell telephony quality that's clearly inferior to that of landline telephony of 100 years ago.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2012 :  07:41:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At least people are really making these.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

chefcrsh
Skeptic Friend

Hong Kong
380 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2012 :  07:52:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send chefcrsh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Yeah huh? But I never saw anyone buy or use one.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2012 :  08:31:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Cool!

Back in the early 1970's, I rejiggered a handset of that kind by putting a speaker in the earpiece and a mic in the mouthpiece, and putting a "talk" button on the handle. I then plugged the thing into my CB walkie-talkie. In the days before even analog "brick" portable phones, I got a lot of stares from people when I walked down San Francisco's Market Street while talking on that headset.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds.