Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2012 :  12:09:24  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Missing Universe Museum

Filthy sent me a link to this site for posting here at SFN.

"Here is a neat site that I stumbled across the other day, and I thought I'd share it with the forum. " - Filthy

From the site:
The Missing Universe Museum contrasts the Evolution and Creation models of origins. The main purpose of this museum is to demonstrate that these two models are opposites and therefore are mutually exclusive. The public will be shown the assumptions behind each model and will be assisted in making predictions based on them. Evidence from around the world is presented so that each person will be able to make an intelligent, informed decision as to which model best explains our universe.

How we view our origins (by Evolution or Creation) affects our perception of ourselves and others, the world and its resources, and our plans for the future!

Looks like fun!

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2012 :  21:42:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Please thank Filthy for this fascinating link!

Indeed, that Creationist site is well named, as they seem to have missed the universe almost entirely. Especially offensive (though that's what the Creos always do) is that they wildly misrepresent the position of their opposition, science.

Just look at "Exibit #1" for a laughably dishonest presentation of science versus Creo myth. Most of the points on the "EVOLUTION" side of the chart are either completely false, uncategorizably bizarre or simply don't make sense. ("Clocks Can Evolve!" ) But they are being set up as useful straw men.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

jamalrapper
Sockpuppet

213 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2012 :  22:30:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send jamalrapper a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I posted a link showing a chimpanzee beating university students in computer memory test. I don't know how evolution got so screwed up that Natural Selection chose to make chimpanzees smarter than humans. Mind you it is still just computer games....but humans have been using computers a lot longer than chimpanzees.

Creationist have an alternate answer for this shocking reversal. It is called Exorcism.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2012 :  04:29:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gotta love the test to be given to teachers. Guy thinks that there are no fossils being formed today. How would he know that?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2012 :  04:29:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whoa! I forgot I'd visited that link earlier. This time I misread the OP's link as "The Miss Universe Museum."

I was expecting maybe mummies of some of the earliest Miss Universe contestants. What a disappointment! Not that I'm a necrophile, though.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2012 :  04:31:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Gotta love the test to be given to teachers. Guy thinks that there are no fossils being formed today. How would he know that?
If he were me, he'd know better.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 02/24/2012 06:50:25
Go to Top of Page

jamalrapper
Sockpuppet

213 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2012 :  05:43:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send jamalrapper a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is a desperate move to teach Creationism in schools in America. Only about 40% of Americans believe in evolution. For a developed country that is ridiculously low. It makes Americans look ignorant and ranking 25 in science just reinforces the perception of Americans.

The reason a good proportion of Americans who are generally intelligent refuse to believe in evolution is slowly surfacing. They are against Darwinism not evolution itself. This distinction is now being recognized.

Kenneth Miller a theistic evolutionist is helping American and educators understand there is no conflict between god and evolution. Americans are slowly coming to his theistic evolution and it is even aka as Christian Darwinism.

Instead of doing performance test in American schools. There is shift from measuring their stupidity as in No Child Left Behind and moving towards more Intelligently Designed curriculum. ID for short.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2012 :  07:36:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2012 :  08:57:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by jamalrapper

I posted a link showing a chimpanzee beating university students in computer memory test. I don't know how evolution got so screwed up that Natural Selection chose to make chimpanzees smarter than humans. Mind you it is still just computer games....but humans have been using computers a lot longer than chimpanzees.

Creationist have an alternate answer for this shocking reversal. It is called Exorcism.
Troll.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2012 :  09:31:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Makes me wonder 3 things

1. While training the chimpanzees in the computer memory test what were the rewards?

2. Are chimpanzees more highly motivated by rewards?

3. Do chimpanzees react more quickly to potential rewards or stressors?

Silly creationist claims brings us no closer to understanding why chimpanzees typically outperform humans in this computer memory test.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

jamalrapper
Sockpuppet

213 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2012 :  10:43:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send jamalrapper a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by moakley

Makes me wonder 3 things

1. While training the chimpanzees in the computer memory test what were the rewards?

2. Are chimpanzees more highly motivated by rewards?

3. Do chimpanzees react more quickly to potential rewards or stressors?

Silly creationist claims brings us no closer to understanding why chimpanzees typically outperform humans in this computer memory test.

Please note. The test was conducted in a lab and in a controlled environment. It was the results that baffled the scientist.

I have mentioned it in several post.....monkey believers are lowering human self-esteem. Evolutionist even look at our differences (chromosome count Chimp=48 pairs, humans 46 pairs)as proof of common descent.

And all this while chimps/apes have been gaining on humans because even they don't like to be seen as inferior to the low standards humans have set for themselves. Natural selection gave them a brain and they are using it. Can't say the same for Wink! Wink! the other species.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2012 :  10:59:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
jamalrapper:
It was the results that baffled the scientist.

Not so. I have pointed out several times now that the chimps may be better adapted for speed and pattern recognition in a narrow test of their abilities. That can be explained by what is required of them to live where they live. The results did not baffle the scientists.
“It’s a very simple fact: chimpanzees are better than us — at this task,” says Tetsuro Matsuzawa, a primatologist at Kyoto University in Japan who led the study.

The work doesn't mean that chimps are 'smarter' than humans, but rather they seem to be better at memorizing a snapshot view of their surroundings — whether that be numbers on a screen or ripe figs dangling from a tree. Humans may have lost this capacity in exchange for gaining the brainpower to understand language and complex symbols, says Matsuzawa.

Chimp beats students at computer game

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

jamalrapper
Sockpuppet

213 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2012 :  11:04:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send jamalrapper a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

jamalrapper:

Not so. I have pointed out several times now that the chimps may be better adapted for speed and pattern recognition in a narrow test of their abilities. That can be explained by what is required of them to live where they live. The results did not baffle the scientists.
“It’s a very simple fact: chimpanzees are better than us — at this task,” says Tetsuro Matsuzawa, a primatologist at Kyoto University in Japan who led the study.

The work doesn't mean that chimps are 'smarter' than humans, but rather they seem to be better at memorizing a snapshot view of their surroundings — whether that be numbers on a screen or ripe figs dangling from a tree. Humans may have lost this capacity in exchange for gaining the brainpower to understand language and complex symbols, says Matsuzawa.

Next you will be saying chimpanzees have better finger dexterity and therefore will make better skeptics. Lets not go there again.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2012 :  11:13:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Originally posted by Kil

jamalrapper:

Next you will be saying chimpanzees have better finger dexterity and therefore will make better skeptics. Lets not go there again.
So it's just not possible that you are wrong. Well... That has been your MO. But again, the scientists weren't baffled. If you claim that when even the lead scientist thinks he knows what happened, what can I say? He was not baffled. And no scientist looking at the experiment was either. There are very simple explanations. Your refusal to acknowledge that just means that your belief doesn't allow you to consider what is right in front of your face.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2012 :  12:21:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

No, actually, it didn't "baffle" anyone. If one bothers to read the original article, one can read the authors saying this:
Our results may be reminiscent of the phenomenon known as ‘eidetic imagery’ found by Jaensch [9,10]. Eidetic imagery has been defined as the memory capability to retain an accurate, detailed image of a complex scene or pattern. It is known to be present in a relatively high percentage of normal children, and then the ability declines with age. Our present study shows that young chimpanzees can quickly grasp many numerals at a glance, with no decline in performance as the hold duration is varied. Moreover, the young ones showed better performance than adults in the memory task. Our study shows that young chimpanzees have an extraordinary working memory capability for numerical recollection better than that of human adults. The results fit well with what we know about the eidetic imagery in humans. (My bold.)
So by comparing young chimps to adult humans, the researchers were comparing apples to oranges. But the bigger take-away message from the original paper, however, is that these chimps were trained for over a year to perform this task. The authors don't mention how long they gave the human students to learn the system before doing the real test, but it can't have been that long.

And the supplemental material also makes it clear that human and chimp accuracy during the tests were comparable (really, only Ayumu's accuracy was up there around 80%, like the human average), the chimps just took less time to perform the task. Humans who spent a lot of time poking the numbers were generally more accurate than any of the chimps. So there's clearly a trade-off to be made between speed and accuracy.
I have mentioned it in several post.....monkey believers are lowering human self-esteem.
You've mentioned it, but you haven't presented any evidence or even a decent argument about why you think it's true.
Evolutionist even look at our differences (chromosome count Chimp=48 pairs, humans 46 pairs)as proof of common descent.
That's false.
And all this while chimps/apes have been gaining on humans because even they don't like to be seen as inferior to the low standards humans have set for themselves. Natural selection gave them a brain and they are using it.
Bwhahahahahahahahahahaha!

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

jamalrapper
Sockpuppet

213 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2012 :  13:51:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send jamalrapper a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It might just turn out the extra pair of chromosomes Chipms 48pairs to humans 46 pair gives chimps the advantage in computer test scores.

Here is another problem with Darwins evolution. Early primates were tree-dwellers. So the closer you are to arboreal locomotion the closer you are to monkeys. Now according to evolutionary theory modern humans lost their tree climbing skills following bipedalism.

But try explaining this. Humans are actually better at climbing trees which puts them closer to the monkeys than chimpanzees. Surprisingly there are a few evolutionists who believe chimpanzees and apes evolved from humans and not the other way around. Now the videos are not proof of this. But it does raise some questions about Darwin's evolutionary theory..

How fast can humans climb trees.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mjlP8mx2Z4&feature=related

Man beats chimp in tree climbing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ3lxypbiQo
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.23 seconds.