General Skepticism
 UFO belief/scepticism-Psychology dissertation help
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Andrew

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2012 :  09:11:12  Show Profile Send Andrew a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone,

I have a shameless request for participation in my Psychology dissertation on UFO belief and scepticism, but due to the topic I thought it might be relevant here. Unfortunately the study is closing on Wednesday 29th but if anyone if able to help, I’d really appreciate it and I’m hoping for it to have greater meaning beyond being a final year dissertation for my degree (aiming for it to be published). Please see the study poster below, thanks and hope you find it interesting!

Best regards,

Andrew

UFO believer or sceptic?

Participants are requested for a Psychology dissertation research study, exploring how our beliefs affect the way we process new information.

This is a new study which will hopefully develop further understanding in UFO belief, specifically with regard to some UFOs having an extraterrestrial cause. Whether you believe, are sceptical, or are unsure…this study is for you!

Research is collected anonymously, by completion of an online survey. So this can be completed at a time suitable to you, anywhere with an internet connection. This may take around 20-30 minutes, and involves some questionnaires and simple tasks.

If you are able to take part can you please contact the researcher via email (putting UFO research in the subject), who will provide you with the survey link and a participant number. Further information will be provided at the start of the survey, so you won’t have to decide if you wish to complete it until after that. Thanks! (study close date – 29/02/2012)

Contact – andrew.hodrien09@my.northampton.ac.uk

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2012 :  10:53:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome to Skeptic Friends Network, Andrew!

A suggestion: It may be that you would get better response if your initial contact did not require people to email you, thus giving you their email addresses (and inspiring concerns of being put on spam lists). Providing a Web site link might be better.

I don't think you are a spammer, but I don't really know. Others may be concerned enough to simply not reply. Good luck with your dissertation!

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Andrew

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2012 :  11:35:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Andrew a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Welcome to Skeptic Friends Network, Andrew!

A suggestion: It may be that you would get better response if your initial contact did not require people to email you, thus giving you their email addresses (and inspiring concerns of being put on spam lists). Providing a Web site link might be better.

I don't think you are a spammer, but I don't really know. Others may be concerned enough to simply not reply. Good luck with your dissertation!

Hi,

Thanks for the welcome. I have been considering this issue recently (wondering if this would put people off) but sadly its constrained by the way the study is designed. I need to log emails with unique participant numbers that I provide each person, along with the link. However, as part of my ethical approval keeping in line with the Data Protection Act, I am deleting the emails where I have sent the study to (after study completion). I'm not sure if knowing that will put people more at ease, and I just realised the detail of that is in the online study itself (before the consent form of course) rather than the poster.

If anyone does feel uncomfortable supplying me with their email address (although I will delete them), I could arrange doing it through a private message on here, if someone preferred that.

Thanks for the advice and the best wishes!

Andrew
Go to Top of Page

Andrew

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2012 :  15:20:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Andrew a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Study ending tonight if anyone else is intrigued to take part Although I will keep it open until the morning, seeing as I have had people in the US participate so midnight here is quite a bit earlier there!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds.