Why
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2012 :  16:39:03  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why is it thaf someone like my mom , is in the hospital because of chest pains, not be given her insulin? Her sugar was 240 this a.m. I asked her about it and she said...well I think one Dr, has to give permission to give that med. What I said? Should not, especiallthe cardiac Dr. be able to make the decision I said well does he say it would effect your heart? You know my mom has problems. Either it is her diabetes or heart. She has had many heart procedures. She said no they were waiting to get permission from her general practioner What? and keep her sugar high. Is not the cardiologist a fuckn expert? I am sure he sees many heart patients with diabetes. Does he not read her medical records? God knows the woman pays enough for her insurance. Yes she is 80 and has to pay 300 a month because nedicare won't pay .While she paid her dues worked all her life.
I Love you Mom

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2012 :  17:43:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Storm

Why is it thaf someone like my mom , is in the hospital because of chest pains, not be given her insulin? Her sugar was 240 this a.m. I asked her about it and she said...well I think one Dr, has to give permission to give that med. What I said? Should not, especiallthe cardiac Dr. be able to make the decision I said well does he say it would effect your heart? You know my mom has problems. Either it is her diabetes or heart. She has had many heart procedures. She said no they were waiting to get permission from her general practioner What? and keep her sugar high. Is not the cardiologist a fuckn expert? I am sure he sees many heart patients with diabetes. Does he not read her medical records? God knows the woman pays enough for her insurance. Yes she is 80 and has to pay 300 a month because nedicare won't pay .While she paid her dues worked all her life.
I Love you Mom

You have to raise a stink sometimes. It was probably overlooked. But hey. You can make it happen. She should be on a diabetic diet in there too.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2012 :  20:44:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree. Hospitals, as I know from my last close call in a particularly bad one when I had my stroke in 2003, can be a nightmare of coordination. Often, the busy physicians concentrate on their own specialties to the blind exclusion of others. As Kil says, you need to make a stink, and get things sorted out.

Try finding the RN in charge, and carefully inform her of all your mother's medical conditions. Get her on your side. RNs have quite a bit of influence with doctors (though some RNs will become hostile whenever a problem is dropped into their laps). It could save your mom's life.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 03/03/2012 20:47:38
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2012 :  07:13:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Storm

I Love you Mom

Go to the floor nurse and explain the situation. Do not get accusatory against the staff ("you people are trying to kill my mother" and "you people are incompetent" are right out.). Let them know of the situation and that you want the situation resolved very quickly.

The floor nurse will kick in advocate mode (if she isn't lazy) and hunt down the doctors to get it fixed. If she is having difficulty, ask if you could help.

Medicine sometimes gets compartmentalized like auto mechanics. Cardiologists have specialized in cardiology but should be able to ok medications for her (unless the GP is a real dick and gets territorial).

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2012 :  10:48:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Try finding the RN in charge, and carefully inform her of all your mother's medical conditions. Get her on your side. RNs have quite a bit of influence with doctors (though some RNs will become hostile whenever a problem is dropped into their laps). It could save your mom's life.
Yep. I agree with mooner. Your mother needs a care advocate. Good RNs are a place to start. My mother in law would have died 6 years ago had it not been for the actions taken by my wife. The clear advantage my wife had was that she was an RN working on a critical care unit. When the Doctor in charge held a meeting with the family and tried to suggest that her mother was "on the fence" concerning whether she would survive or not my wife got into his face. A day later her mother was transferred to another, larger, hospital by her family doctor.

Good luck, Storm.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2012 :  13:36:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Moms home now and at a st Pat party... 2 stents later... thanks for the advice. Unfortunetly I am in Florida her in New York. The Dr. Did come in and say he would give her the insulin... after awhile though.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds.