Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

TG
Skeptic Friend

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2012 :  14:46:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send TG a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Reasoning? You want reasoning!? I'm in wild-ass guess mode.

1) There's an active Quaker community in Aotearoa. 2) New Zealand is effectively a democracy although they still recognize the Queen. 3) That's as far as I got.
Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2012 :  16:55:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by TG

Reasoning? You want reasoning!? I'm in wild-ass guess mode.

1) There's an active Quaker community in Aotearoa. 2) New Zealand is effectively a democracy although they still recognize the Queen. 3) That's as far as I got.
So, you were right for not entirely right reasons. Well, not completely right since you have only narrowed down the country and not the exact spot within it.

Anyway, so far the reasoning goes:

New Zealand is also known as the "land of the long white cloud". It was originally named "Nova Zelandia" by dutch cartographers. There are kiwi birds, Kiwi shoe polish, kiwi fruit and, more to the point, New Zealanders often refer to themselves as kiwis. "How bizarre" was a song by kiwi band OMC that reached international recognition. "Crowded House" was a kiwi band (although the Aussies might point out that they actually formed in Melbourne). All this places us in New Zealand.

The queen has visited the spot I'm looking for. So has bishops. The rook is important more for the way it looks (and the way swedes refer to them, btw).

The place is deserted but it wasn't quite the due to the actions of the quakers. Minster of king of rois will be brought down.

It is in a square within itself.

-----

And yes, before this, I've never created a riddle in my life.

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2012 :  17:05:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Minster of king of rois will be brought down. Oh, yeah, and there is a french connection as well.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2012 :  23:38:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hawks, my congratulations. You have presented the riddle splendidly and are handling the resulting furor with a wonderful touch. I had no idea of the solution to this one, but I hope you will present such riddles on a regular basis.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 03/08/2012 23:41:04
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2012 :  11:57:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Your the POPE!

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2012 :  19:00:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The queen has visited the spot I'm looking for. So has bishops. The rook is important more for the way it looks (and the way swedes refer to them, btw).

The place is deserted but it wasn't quite the due to the actions of the quakers. Minster of king of rois will be brought down.

It is in a square within itself.

The place I was looking for was Christchurch cathedral, Christchurch, New Zealand. It sits in cathedral square in the city of Christchurch.

Minster (synonym of cathedral) of king of rois (rois is french for kings, hence king of kings) gives christ's church.

It's tower (rook) collapsed in the recent earthquake (OK, it REALLY wasn't the quakers that has anything to do with it) and the place was so damaged that it won't be repaired and will be demolished.

Bishops have obviously been there since it's a cathedral. The queen visited some time ago.

There you have it.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2012 :  21:53:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Again, very nicely executed, Hawks. The "right answer, wrong reason" problem is a risk that was unavoidable. Can you do such riddles regularly?

Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2012 :  11:15:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Again, very nicely executed, Hawks. The "right answer, wrong reason" problem is a risk that was unavoidable. Can you do such riddles regularly?
Thank you. I shall try again sometime.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2012 :  11:37:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Hawks

Originally posted by HalfMooner

Thank you. I shall try again sometime.
Super!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.