The flag pledge controversy
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2012 :  07:29:08  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anyone who has followed this will probably understand why I didn't know whether to place it in the 'politics', 'religion', or 'social issues' category, so I put it here. Haven't got too far into this web site yet, but it seems like a valuable resource when taking on the fundies and others who don't have a friggin' clue about the subject:

The Pledge

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2012 :  07:41:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by The Rat

Anyone who has followed this will probably understand why I didn't know whether to place it in the 'politics', 'religion', or 'social issues' category, so I put it here. Haven't got too far into this web site yet, but it seems like a valuable resource when taking on the fundies and others who don't have a friggin' clue about the subject:

The Pledge

You assume that evidence is relevant to them.

From President Eisenhower himself

Kinda nails the coffin shut on the "ceremonial deism" argument they tend to make.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2012 :  07:49:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Valiant Dancer

You assume that evidence is relevant to them.

From President Eisenhower himself

Kinda nails the coffin shut on the "ceremonial deism" argument they tend to make.

Oh, I know that, we'll never get through to them. It's bystanders I'm thinking about, those who could be swayed either way.

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page

Convinced
Skeptic Friend

USA
384 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2012 :  11:06:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Convinced a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just another example of how American Christians are misguided in their thinking. Government is not the proper vehicle to get our message across. I have never been shown by any Christian where it states in the Bible that we should use government to evangelize, do good works or do anything. It would advance our cause enormously if Christians were not political. Christians and conservatism seem to be synonymous in America which is a shame.

Therefore be careful how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise, making the most of your time, because the days are evil. So then do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is. (Eph 5:15-17)
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2012 :  16:36:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Convinced

Just another example of how American Christians are misguided in their thinking. Government is not the proper vehicle to get our message across. I have never been shown by any Christian where it states in the Bible that we should use government to evangelize, do good works or do anything. It would advance our cause enormously if Christians were not political. Christians and conservatism seem to be synonymous in America which is a shame.

The reason for that is simple. The true believers willingly give up rational thinking in order to hold their beliefs. This makes them vulnerable to manipulation. The true power holders in the new conservative world are some billionaires and corporations. They hire politicians to get elected, help them use these social wedge issues (abortion, gays, stem cells, creationism, religion, etc) to convince the suckers to vote for them. The newly elected politician continues to pay lip service to those issues while setting policy and the legislative agenda based on what their billionaires tell them. So much so that the average republican/teabagger can't even tell you what the conservative movement was started around, what the original positions and planks were.

All the while the suckers remain suckers and keep voting against their own best self interest. It's a shame, really, that the electorate of this country has become so collectively stupid.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Convinced
Skeptic Friend

USA
384 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2012 :  11:12:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Convinced a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dude

Originally posted by Convinced

The reason for that is simple. The true believers willingly give up rational thinking in order to hold their beliefs. This makes them vulnerable to manipulation. The true power holders in the new conservative world are some billionaires and corporations. They hire politicians to get elected, help them use these social wedge issues (abortion, gays, stem cells, creationism, religion, etc) to convince the suckers to vote for them. The newly elected politician continues to pay lip service to those issues while setting policy and the legislative agenda based on what their billionaires tell them. So much so that the average republican/teabagger can't even tell you what the conservative movement was started around, what the original positions and planks were.

All the while the suckers remain suckers and keep voting against their own best self interest. It's a shame, really, that the electorate of this country has become so collectively stupid.

Maybe we should move this thread to the conspiracy theory section.

Therefore be careful how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise, making the most of your time, because the days are evil. So then do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is. (Eph 5:15-17)
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2012 :  20:37:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was just ten years old when I got back from summer vacation and found that the Pledge had been changed. The teacher had to drill us in the new wording.

I wasn't an atheist yet, nor did I know about the Establishment Clause, but I felt there was something very wrong about the insertion of "under God" into the pledge. Maybe my thoughts were that, just as my Methodist Sunday School didn't put useful academic material into their Jesus lessons, Encanto Elementary shouldn't do useless church stuff. In my childish mind, the Pledge change was more an unwelcome abuse of established categories than of the Constitution. And there also seemed to me to be an implication that all our previous solemn patriotic Pledges were somehow now invalid.

I didn't know quite why, but I didn't like the change. Yet I somehow also knew that this wasn't an issue that a little kid could change by arguing with a teacher, even if I had a coherent argument to make, which I didn't.

So, from that first day in 1954 until I graduated from high school in 1963, I said "under-dog" each time the Pledge was recited.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 04/17/2012 20:51:15
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.