Maybe the most depressing cartoon I've seen
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2012 :  23:53:25  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's called, "There's No Tomorrow", and it paints a bleak near future for Earth. Even the "Happy Ending" part is essentially a post-apocalyptic Hell.

Should I feel as depressed as this has initially made me?

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

Convinced
Skeptic Friend

USA
384 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2012 :  10:59:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Convinced a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It seems we should stop trying to figure out how to sustain our growth and focus on how to best manage the decline. Even if there was a solution, there is no way humans would get along long enough to make it happen. A part of me says bring it on already. As I grow older I am more convinced that a simple life in small communities is how we were meant to live. The bottom line is it will get worse before it will get better, just how worse is yet to be seen.

In light of this video the current political conversations in the USA seem ridiculous.

Therefore be careful how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise, making the most of your time, because the days are evil. So then do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is. (Eph 5:15-17)
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2012 :  12:29:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Convinced

As I grow older I am more convinced that a simple life in small communities is how we were meant to live.
As I grow older I am more convinced that mankind is royally screwed. Our complacency and reluctance to accept uncomfortable facts will cause us to react too late. Just look at how conservative politicians preach: they don't want to conserve our planet, they want to conserve their own unsustainable way of life.
Too many people are buying the "everything is fine" message because it is comforting, or because they have been told by their religious leaders that God will not let us fuck up the planet.
Politicians are too concerned about getting average-joe's vote to dare telling him that we all are pissing in our beds to keep warm: maintaining an unsustainable consumption level.

In light of this video the current political conversations in the USA seem ridiculous.
In the light of the current political conversations in the USA, the idea a viable future seem ridiculous.

I'm so glad I don't have any offspring to care about, to pass on this planet on to. I don't feel compelled to care anymore. I thank politicians and religious leaders, and the American (and to a less extent European) population for taking us to this point. I can now live out my life in relative luxury, not-caring about the future of mankind, without remorse.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Convinced
Skeptic Friend

USA
384 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2012 :  14:58:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Convinced a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

I'm so glad I don't have any offspring to care about, to pass on this planet on to. I don't feel compelled to care anymore. I thank politicians and religious leaders, and the American (and to a less extent European) population for taking us to this point. I can now live out my life in relative luxury, not-caring about the future of mankind, without remorse.
I agree america is partly to blame but Europe is just as much of a problem as far as energy use. The five countries that use the most energy per person, 4 are in Europe (Sweden, Finland, Iceland and Norway) and Canada.

So you don't care about other peoples children?

Therefore be careful how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise, making the most of your time, because the days are evil. So then do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is. (Eph 5:15-17)
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2012 :  15:11:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What religious people tell us that God won't fuck the planet? In fact he will probably let us do it we have free will. As most of u say on here what does God care about this tiny planet? I don't conform to that philosophy... just sayin
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2012 :  16:11:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I agree america is partly to blame but Europe is just as much of a problem as far as energy use. The five countries that use the most energy per person, 4 are in Europe (Sweden, Finland, Iceland and Norway) and Canada.

We're affected by climate, it's cold up north. But hey, in 2011 Sweden 49% of all electricity produced came from hydroelectric dams. Another 40% from nuclear power. Those are carbondioxide neutral. In 2011 we imported a few percent, but over a several years we are a net exporter of electricity to Europe.
In Europe Sweden is the largest consumer of bioethanol for transportation per capita. Globally, I'm not sure if there are any one else but Brazilians. We're actually exporting transportation technology to Brazil: Busses with diesel engines made for running on ethanol(ED95) instead of diesel.

On a timescale beyond my life expectancey: No.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2012 :  18:12:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Storm

What religious people tell us that God won't fuck the planet? In fact he will probably let us do it we have free will. As most of u say on here what does God care about this tiny planet? I don't conform to that philosophy... just sayin
Actually giving free will and caring are hardly note worthy. There is a much bigger issue that needs to be satisfied before we can even begin to talk about attributes.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2012 :  19:25:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Storm

What religious people tell us that God won't fuck the planet?

Christian Evangelicals.
Only God can destroy (or un-create) what He has created. And since He created earth, only He can destroy it. Hence, we can't destroy the planet even if we tried.
The planet has to be here for Judgement Day.
This is of course illogical reasoning on many levels. In Genesis mankind is tasked with being "stewards of the earth" or some such. Which means we should take care of the planet.

In fact he will probably let us do it we have free will. As most of u say on here what does God care about this tiny planet? I don't conform to that philosophy... just sayin

In every case where it mattered, God was absent. Which means we cannot rely on Him/Her/It/Them to keep the planet habitable for Man.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Convinced
Skeptic Friend

USA
384 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2012 :  06:50:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Convinced a Private Message  Reply with Quote

We're affected by climate, it's cold up north. But hey, in 2011 Sweden 49% of all electricity produced came from hydroelectric dams. Another 40% from nuclear power. Those are carbondioxide neutral. In 2011 we imported a few percent, but over a several years we are a net exporter of electricity to Europe.
This is good. Although it does take some carbon based fuels to maintain these plants. The left in America has kept us from building nuclear power here. America should be at least 50% nuclear by now, its around 20% now. I do believe there are 20 plants approved and in design and should be online by 2020 if they don't get canned. But as the video showed it may not help.

Why?

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2012 :  08:26:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

This is good. Although it does take some carbon based fuels to maintain these plants. The left in America has kept us from building nuclear power here. America should be at least 50% nuclear by now, its around 20% now. I do believe there are 20 plants approved and in design and should be online by 2020 if they don't get canned. But as the video showed it may not help.

Why?
Some on the left, and even a few greens who see priorities correctly, are changing their stance now, even given Fukushima. I was totally against fission reactors for power a few years ago. I'm now absolutely in favor of more fission plants, though they need to be made as safe as possible. AGW is alone sufficient reason to take the risk of plant disasters, until, at least, a better power source may be developed.

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2012 :  16:44:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On a timescale beyond my life expectancy: No.
Why?
Because I've convinced that mankind is screwed. There is too much inertia in the collective minds of Man to redirect our path from the point of no return from ecological disaster (global warming and resource depletion). Current political climate (both in USA, Europe, China and India, but especially USA since it's the "leading" nation/economy in the western world) is working against the radical changes that has to happen NOW in order to save planet earth. The fiasco at Kyoto was just the first of many important instances where USA had the chance to make pro-active commitments to save the planet but chose not to. There has been several summits after that, but the story has always been the same.

My younger brother used to say "Cynicism isn't a state of mind, it's experience talking". I've become inclined to agree. As long as soccer-moms feel the need to have an gas-guzzling SUV top drive their kids to practise, nothing I do will be enough to make a difference, especially in the long run. I made a bio-ethanol conversion of my old car, and plan on doing it to my current one. I've bought a motorcycle to drive to work instead of using the car. I even fixed up my bicycle for sunny days. I'm only buying locally produced meat, I'm switching to low-energy illumination at home, I get my electricity from a company which use wind-mills only.
But...

I've run out of "idealistic energy". I'm too exhausted to carry on the torch. Not enough people seem interested in carry it further, so why should I care? I don't have any children to pass on any legacy or inheritance to.

To answer your question "why?":
Other people's children should be their parents' greatest concern. But I don't see many of them doing much heavy lifting. If anything, it should be visible in the rise of Green political parties, but it doesn't.
If other children's parents don't care enough about long term survival of the human race, why the fuck should I waste my energy doing it, when I have no stake in it?

I'm in it for the short term. As long as I can keep politicians, CEOs, and religious people from fucking up my life, that's where I'll put my effort. That's where I feel I can get some return on my effort.

Sigh. I think I'm done ranting for now. Thanks for listening.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2012 :  21:58:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I want to thank you all for lifting my spirits after watching that downer of a cartoon. Actually, I was hoping someone would point out dozens of errors in the presentation.

I'm not so happy about the Happy Ending. Based upon "There's No Tomorrow," it looks like what's coming is the survival of a small number of scattered people who are willing and able to do subsistence farming on a neolithic scale. If the human race does not go extinct, that is. Wildlife, however, will have a fine time, one imagines.

The Igorots here should do fairly well. The rice terraces are farmed with very little technical aid even possible, much less available. Society in the Cordilleras might advance back 500 years with only 90% or so of deaths.

And I'm already a gentleman farmer (ie., I invest a very little in low-land farming , but don't actually do the work). If we're still around after non-renewable resources collapse, my fiancee and I will need to adapt to using purely human and carabao power, and no more pesticides or urea fertilizers. And a more general agriculture (veggies, soybeans, fowl, swine, tilapia) to replace the rice and maize alone.

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2012 :  04:40:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

I want to thank you all for lifting my spirits after watching that downer of a cartoon. Actually, I was hoping someone would point out dozens of errors in the presentation.
I've only watched it once, but no blantant falsehood jumped out to hit me. I am somewhat skeptical of some the claims, like the farm area required to grow bio-ethanol fuel if you want to replace all oil in transportation. But that can possibly be correct if you also calculate an increase in oil consumption.

I'm not so happy about the Happy Ending. Based upon "There's No Tomorrow," it looks like what's coming is the survival of a small number of scattered people who are willing and able to do subsistence farming on a neolithic scale. If the human race does not go extinct, that is. Wildlife, however, will have a fine time, one imagines.
The level of consumption of natural resources we have today is not sustainable on a global scale. Less than 20% of the population is using up more than 80% of the resources. So earth's population needs to be reduced to no more than a billion.
Also, drastic changes needs to be made in where and how we live: we need to move closer to the place we work. Commuting in a car 30-60 minutes to work is a luxury we cannot afford. Mass production has made it cheap, but we cannot buy a new plasma/lcd flat screen TV every 4 years because they get bigger, or a computer every other year to keep up with the latest bloat-ware operating system and 3D-games.

Now we have a billion Chineese and a billion Indians who wants to be mid- and upper- working class.

The Igorots here should do fairly well. The rice terraces are farmed with very little technical aid even possible, much less available. Society in the Cordilleras might advance back 500 years with only 90% or so of deaths.
Agriculture as it was done before the industrial revolution will be the way to go. We do have enough farmland to feed the entire global population today, if it hadn't been for the mis-management of the resources. In places like Burma, more than 30% of the crops is lost because of improper storage (rotting away or being eaten by insects and rodents).
The biggest problem is that mass production, strip-mining and over use of the farm land has made excessive consumption too cheap for those who have enough to over-indulge themselves.

And I'm already a gentleman farmer (ie., I invest a very little in low-land farming , but don't actually do the work). If we're still around after non-renewable resources collapse, my fiancee and I will need to adapt to using purely human and carabao power, and no more pesticides or urea fertilizers. And a more general agriculture (veggies, soybeans, fowl, swine, tilapia) to replace the rice and maize alone.
I don't think you'll see much of that within your life time. I don't think I'll be around to experience it either. But the next generation will curse us by the time we're gone.
But at that point, I'll be beyond caring.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2012 :  05:25:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I'm going to bone up in sustainable, low-tech agriculture, and pass what I can learn along to my fiancee's family. The key, I suspect, is that you grow pretty everything you need, rotate the crops, and hope Mother Nature doesn't get bitchy with typhoons, floods, and locusts.

If there is such a global collapse, I hope people can retain some literacy, medicine and science. They'll need those for humanity to climb back up in a world with minimal resources. And I hope they will be good at learning history, too!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds.