Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2012 :  10:33:01  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's the cover and two inside pages from my work-in-progress, Let's Go Run Off to Megalonesia: A Rough-and-Tumble Guide Book for Tourists & Expatriates. Enjoy! Feedback is appreciated, so long as it's not snarky and/or negative.
parody travel guide philippines southeast asia
* Click image for larger version *

More soon! I mean it, this time.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 05/26/2012 09:20:05

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1487 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2012 :  15:41:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2012 :  19:01:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Awesome!!!

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2012 :  22:56:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, folks!

One thing that struck me about this project was that very little photo-manipulation was required. It's more a case of photo-captioning and creating a storyline that is both absurd and somehow consistent. The photos I've used so far are pretty much honest. (And there really is a Great Smoky Mountain of trash that's devouring Manila.)

I've long been a fan of the wonderful Jetlag series of fake travel guides. When I was first reading their Moldavia: A Land Untouched by Modern Dentistry, I repeatedly found myself choking upon my coffee. Those people have a trick of hiding a gag in a paragraph so that it leaps out and devours the unwary. "I want to do that," I said.

I've parodied the Philippines before, but perhaps not so intensely. After much hesitation, I decided not to call it the Philippines this time around. Maybe, I thought, I'd feel freer to rag on a place if I used a fake name. After all, I really love this place, warts and all, and humor requires a certain lack of restraint. Also, the fake name means the "guide" can go all out in exaggeration and plain old making shit up. After those first three pages, I kind of think the formula may be working.

About "Megalonesia." I was inspired by "Micronesia," the Philippines' neighbor to the east. Since that name means "land of little islands," I figured the Philippines rated being called a land of big islands. So, I figured, "Meganesia." Then I found that the proper Greek form would probably be "Megalonesia." (Oddly enough, I Googled that word to discover that the ancient Greeks actually called these and the Indonesians islands by that very name.)

Edited by - HalfMooner on 05/09/2012 05:13:31
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2012 :  17:48:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Very creative Mooner. Makes one think of similar conditions beyond what you note.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2012 :  18:44:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by sailingsoul

Very creative Mooner. Makes one think of similar conditions beyond what you note.
Thank you, sailingsoul!

What are those "conditions", by the way?

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2012 :  03:35:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another day, another page:

Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2012 :  15:41:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Originally posted by sailingsoul

Thank you, sailingsoul!

What are those "conditions", by the way?

Conditions of trash. One of your pictures, the "Smokey Mt. of trash", reminded me of a landfill/dump in Dade County. In your picture there are buildings to the left and in the background. From what floors are visible they appear to be at least 5. So they might be higher 6 or 7? I don't know but you might know but after seeing that I thought of "Mt . Trashmore" in Dade County. That pile of trash, I wondered, might put your pile to shame. Mt. Trashmore, covers 200 acres, is 150 ft. tall but only after the cut 15 feet off the top in the 90's because it started causing problems with an Air force bases radar system, in the same county. It's the highest point of land in Dade County where it's virtually flat. 200 acres is a lot of land also. What is the foot print and height of your Smokey Mountain?
I also had a trip down memory lane recalling the recent closure of Mexico city's dump in the news, reportedly one of the world's largest dumps.
Then I recalled viewing a friends pictures of his 30 day car trip around Peru. Wherever they don't have trash collection services, the land scape looks like a dump with all the paper blowing around, even in the middle of nowhere. At least from the pictures I saw, from his travels through Peru with his wife who grew up there. Absolutely some countries do a better job than others with their handling of garbage.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Edited by - sailingsoul on 05/09/2012 15:45:01
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2012 :  21:14:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the feedback, SS.

I know nothing from personal experience about Smokey (turns out they spell it with an "e") Mountain. Wiki has a short article:
Smokey Mountain is a large rubbish dump in Manila, Philippines. Consisting of over two million metric tons of waste, it has operated for more than 40 years[1] and is known for decomposing at such high temperatures that it will catch fire, a fact from which the location derives its name. Indeed, fires at Smokey Mountain have caused many deaths.[2]

Smokey Mountain has a large squatter community, and it is estimated that 30,000 people live near the site, and make their living from picking through the rubbish at Smokey Mountain.[1] In 1993, a joint venture agreement between the National Housing Authority (NHA) and R-II Builders Inc. (RBI) was made to build a low-cost housing project at Smokey Mountain. On 15 August 2007, this agreement was declared valid by the Philippine Supreme Court.[3]
There are also a lot of photos that can be Googled. It's pretty depressing. I'll try to learn more.

Last typhoon season a dozen or so people were killed here when Baguio's own trash dump slid down the mountain, destroying squatter dwellings.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 05/10/2012 21:09:47
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2012 :  00:53:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2012 :  01:04:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1487 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2012 :  10:11:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Poor dog(s).
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2012 :  10:15:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by ThorGoLucky

Poor dog(s).
Indeed. I'm disgusted by the lack of any humane thinking by the majority of people here, though a minority of animal lovers are a growing outlier. Much has been done lately to draw attention to the dog meat trade, and its cruelty.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 05/26/2012 10:22:55
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2012 :  09:19:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2012 :  10:49:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Professor K. Cameron indeed!
LMFAO!

Don't take our silence as disapproval of your work. It's our stomach ache from the laughing preventing us from typing. Or the keyboard shorted-out by the coke/coffee-spray from reading and drinking at the same time.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2012 :  11:02:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

Professor K. Cameron indeed!
LMFAO!

Don't take our silence as disapproval of your work. It's our stomach ache from the laughing preventing us from typing. Or the keyboard shorted-out by the coke/coffee-spray from reading and drinking at the same time.
Thanks very, very much, Mab! I've learned long ago here to make a little praise go a long way, and it does. This particular project is especially time-consuming, as I'm trying to make it appear more "professional" than my usual dreck. So occasional kudos do much to motivate me. (I don't hide the need very well, do I?)

Edited by - HalfMooner on 05/26/2012 11:08:39
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.