New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2012 :  11:46:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by On fire for Christ

Originally posted by HalfMooner
If you mean potassium chloride salt, I personally would pass. Rather than lend a nice taste to food, to me it has a nasty, metallic tahttp://www.skepticfriends.org/forum/post.asp?method=ReplyQuote&REPLY_ID=203895&TOPIC_ID=15069&FORUM_ID=7ste. If I had to cut out all table salt, I'd not accept this substitute.

Which would be relevant if we were talking about taste. I want to know if low sodium salt has had it's life essence removed, and to what extent.

YES we are talking about taste. There seems to be some confusion about what low sodium salt or salt substitutes are. They are about producing the "taste" of salt to foods without salt or with less salt relative to taste. It's not as you put it, OFFC, salt that's had it's "life essence" removed. I can't fathom what your referring to by some kind of "life essence" property of salt. As far as I know there is no life essence part of salt (NaCl) that can be removed, either in part or whole from it. Table salt is a compound composed of two elements, Sodium (Na) and Chlorine (Cl).
"TABLE SALT"
It is essential for animal life in small quantities, but is harmful to animals and plants in excess.

The words "essential" and "excess" are not there in the above statement for nothing but are required to convey a proven fact.

Salt substitutes are low-sodium table salt alternatives marketed to circumvent the risk of high blood pressure and cardiovascular disease associated with a high intake of sodium chloride[1] while maintaining a similar taste. They usually contain mostly potassium chloride (note, NOT "Sodium Chloride"). Potassium lactate may also be used to reduce sodium levels in food products. ,,,, Seaweed granules are also marketed as alternatives to salt. ,,,,,Potassium chloride may have a metallic taste to some.

I hope this clears things up.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2012 :  16:26:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Right so now you've hijacked this thread and turned it into a discussion about the taste of different salts. Sorry for trying to get the discussion back on topic.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2012 :  20:25:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Right so now you've hijacked this thread and turned it into a discussion about the taste of different salts. Sorry for trying to get the discussion back on topic.
Seems to me this topic has wandered very little as compared to our usual standards (which are quite liberal about diversions).

Here, the subject has remained SALT, and the discussion about its healthy and unhealthy aspects, its various sources. IMO, a discussion of the taste of table salt substitutes is nothing resembling a hijacking. Discussing the taste of salt substitutes doesn't derail the thread any more than questioning how salt's elan vital may have been stolen. (And note, nobody criticized you, OFfC, as being a hijacker for bringing in the odd subject of vitalism.)

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 05/28/2012 20:29:26
Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2012 :  21:42:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message  Reply with Quote

How does he feel about low sodium salt?
Chlorine?

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2012 :  09:38:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote

If you mean potassium chloride salt, I personally would pass. Rather than lend a nice taste to food, to me it has a nasty, metallic taste. If I had to cut out all table salt, I'd not accept this substitute.

Which would be relevant if we were talking about taste. I want to know if low sodium salt has had it's life essence removed, and to what extent.

It actually has life essence added at the rate of 50% of the reduction in sodium. Where it gets this life essence is where it takes it from you when you consume it.

You can get nearly pure, highly life energy charged low sodium salt from your local pool supply store.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2012 :  10:29:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Valiant Dancer

You can get nearly pure, highly life energy charged low sodium salt from your local pool supply store.
And it's literally crawling with élan vital.

Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2012 :  20:08:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know but as far as I'm concerned the only reason why people even use salt is for it's flavoring properties. I really didn't think it was that far off the topic but I'm sorry it upset you OFFC, it was not intentional.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2012 :  00:37:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Here, the subject has remained SALT, and the discussion about its healthy and unhealthy aspects, its various sources. IMO, a discussion of the taste of table salt substitutes is nothing resembling a hijacking. Discussing the taste of salt substitutes doesn't derail the thread any more than questioning how salt's elan vital may have been stolen. (And note, nobody criticized you, OFfC, as being a hijacker for bringing in the odd subject of vitalism.)

Did you even read the opening post?

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2012 :  03:54:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Did you even read the opening post?
Of course. What's your point? If you believe you have some kind of argument going with me, I'd appreciate knowing what it is.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 05/30/2012 04:20:45
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.