Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2012 :  22:41:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by phil_expat

Glad to hear about your dogs! I know how much missy meant to you! When they are older they will help with your security. I have a friend with 4 dogs, 2 are house dogs the others are security staying outside. He has his outside dog train only to eat food from him or his wife. Wonder how that training is done?
Nice photo of your family, life in the Philippines has brightened your eyes! You look a lot younger now than you did in the USA!
When my wife and I first met she asked me why the security guard never pat me down, I experience the same respect that you did. One thing that I never experience before is the senior lane at the grocery store. I sit in a very comfortable seat while one clerk unload my cart for the cashier and another bags and put in another cart.
I do disagree on one thing: Three friends of mine on social security retirement that are living in the Philippines applied for and got social security disability. There income has increase a lot. Yes, it is a lot of paper work but worth it!

Hi, Tony! (Hey, folks, Tony R., aka phil_expat, is the great guy whose own move to the Philippines got me started on my own migration. He's a decades-long co-worker from my former company. Tony himself has done very well in the Philippines, and has a wonderful wife and daughter of his own.)

Tony, I suppose I will have to look into SSI again. But my family in the States checked it out for me soon after my stroke in 2003, but found that the length of time between my last employment and my stroke was too long for me to qualify.

I also have no idea how one would train a dog to eat only when fed by owners. Especially askals, which are not known for refusing a meal!

Our dogs, now named Tabi (the male) and Foxi (the female) got their 5-in-1 puppy shots about three days ago, along with a much-needed deworming. Runty little Foxi, who was nearly on death's door from worm infestation, and was shy, sluggish and sleeping almost all the time, is bright and active now, as is her brother. The dogs will need to return to the clinic for further treatments, as well as their rabies shots when they are old enough for that. The fluffy little dawgs love everyone in our rotating parafamily, and everyone loves and plays with them. They are not only getting quality dry food, but have been prescribed vitamin drops as well.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 06/02/2012 22:45:22
Go to Top of Page

phil_expat

Philippines
10 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2012 :  15:13:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send phil_expat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All of my friends applied for Social Security disability within 2 years of arriving in the Philippines. They did so thru the USA embassy. I do not know how long they were retired. You could be right, I did not know there was a time limit.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2012 :  23:28:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

All of my friends applied for Social Security disability within 2 years of arriving in the Philippines. They did so thru the USA embassy. I do not know how long they were retired. You could be right, I did not know there was a time limit.
As I now recall, after my stroke, my sister and her husband actually applied (unsuccessfully) for SSI for me, and that's what they learned. (I was mentally pretty much out of it for some months, and my family had temporary power of attorney, which I'd signed off to them.) They also learned that under my circumstances, there was little hope in appealing Social Security's initial rejection of the claim. Many of my memories from that period are a bit vague due to the stroke itself, however.

Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1487 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2012 :  19:52:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cuuuuuute!
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2012 :  04:05:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by ThorGoLucky

Cuuuuuute!
Thanks! Those dogs actually are slimmer and lighter after their deworming. But far friskier. So MANY worms, poor pups!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2012 :  07:00:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, it happened. Yesterday Tabi, the 2-1/2 month old male pup, disappeared sometime during the afternoon. There is no way he could have departed on his own. By dusk we were canvasing the neighborhood, but nobody knows nothing. Only the female, Foxi is left, and we are trying to watch her carefully. But it appears a dog thief quietly climbed over our spike-topped fence and snatched the pup. First Missy, now Tabi. I'm fit to go nuts about this, as are Rose and her 7-year-old niece.

We're all giving Foxi a lot of loving attention, especially as she no longer has her brother to play with.

Now my plans are basically to fortify the home and yard, to make it next to impossible for anyone to get into the yard without injuring themselves. If the house has to look like a razor-wired gulag, so be it. Many other homes here do, and by now I understand why. The hell with the place looking nice and cosy. I'd hire armed guards if I could afford it.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 06/10/2012 07:04:26
Go to Top of Page

phil_expat

Philippines
10 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2012 :  11:26:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send phil_expat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tonight as usual I could not sleep! So at 1 a.m. in the morning I ventured out across the street to buy a pack of Winston cigarettes. There is an arm guard outside of my compound the walked the sort distance with me. Side note: one pack of Winston is 30 pesos about 70 cents, less than one U.S. dollar!

The owner of the small store also has two dogs, they use to be loose but now he has to keep them inside. An American neighbor asked the security guard to shoot the dogs with his gun, not a nice person. He also sprays water on the kids that sit on the curb by his home. He is not popular among the locals and many of the other Americans. There is a lot more sh*t he does that I am not mentioning here. I do miss those dogs!

I am lucky to have the guard but unlucky to have that guy as a neighbor! One thing others have found effective for security is a non functioning security camera. It is faked with a flashing red-light.

Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2012 :  14:33:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sorry for your family's loss. My brother has 5 dogs on his 14 acres in Texas. When he or known people are not there any stranger would be hard pressed to enter onto the property. He believes with that number, above 3 or 4, they take on the mindset of a pack when alone without a known alfa adult. Even if one dog is afraid, it's barking brings on the the group to protect their turf in mass. Your dogs need to be trained not to trust strangers, it's their only long term hope. As long as there is a possibility of a stranger coming onto your property without them sounding the alarm they will be at risk. I'm sickened to think it was the same person again, it could have been. Security cameras are cheaper than ever and IMO the savings one yields from using dummies today are not justified based on the loss of the video evidence a real one could provide. Either are better that nothing for sure.

Mooner, were you or anyone else home, inside at the time?

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Edited by - sailingsoul on 06/10/2012 14:36:51
Go to Top of Page

phil_expat

Philippines
10 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2012 :  15:34:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send phil_expat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You are right that security video systems are inexpensive now a days but expensive for a retired person with a small income. Even with security tapes one would get very little help, if any, from the Philippine police. The camera, fake or real, would scare off will be abductors.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2012 :  17:51:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh bummer, Mooner.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1487 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2012 :  20:38:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sad.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2012 :  22:42:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

. . .

I am lucky to have the guard but unlucky to have that guy as a neighbor! One thing others have found effective for security is a non functioning security camera. It is faked with a flashing red-light
Sad about your local store's dogs having to be kept inside.

The fake cam thing is a great idea! I'll try that, too! (I trust the sneak-thief doesn't read this forum.)

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2012 :  22:54:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by sailingsoul

I'm sorry for your family's loss. My brother has 5 dogs on his 14 acres in Texas. When he or known people are not there any stranger would be hard pressed to enter onto the property. He believes with that number, above 3 or 4, they take on the mindset of a pack when alone without a known alfa adult. Even if one dog is afraid, it's barking brings on the the group to protect their turf in mass. Your dogs need to be trained not to trust strangers, it's their only long term hope. As long as there is a possibility of a stranger coming onto your property without them sounding the alarm they will be at risk. I'm sickened to think it was the same person again, it could have been. Security cameras are cheaper than ever and IMO the savings one yields from using dummies today are not justified based on the loss of the video evidence a real one could provide. Either are better that nothing for sure.

Mooner, were you or anyone else home, inside at the time?

Starting from the end, yes, I myself was home, while the remaining two humans now living here were out from about noon to dusk getting Jyenna's Montessori school uniform fitted, and doing other chores. I was upstairs in the bedroom or on the terrace all day. I could have been napping inside when the thief struck, or even sitting on the terrace (can't see the yard when sitting). Either way, I was so close that I kick myself!

I doubt that a 2-1/2 month old pup is ready for guard-dog training, but what do I know? I would hope that such training is not stressful or uses negative conditioning. I don't want a dog that hates most people because she's been abused. Do you know how they train for guarding? Can being stand-offish toward strangers be trained with positive conditioning?

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2012 :  23:07:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

You are right that security video systems are inexpensive now a days but expensive for a retired person with a small income. Even with security tapes one would get very little help, if any, from the Philippine police. The camera, fake or real, would scare off will be abductors.
In the last round, when my neighbor Sonny and I tried to report our dogs (his Jack, and my Missy) being stolen, the Philippine National Police politely told us to take it to the Barangay (neighborhood government) office. The Barangay officials just mocked us and make it very clear that they were irritated that we were wasting their precious time. I can only conclude that dog burglary is effectively legal here.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2012 :  23:09:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

Oh bummer, Mooner.
Thanks. And you saw this coming.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.