Transit of the Venusy Thingy
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2012 :  17:53:45  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
(apologies to those who already read this on on G+ and Facebook)

I mentioned the Venus transit to an acquaintance and a cashier at the coop. I was asked what it means. I began to speak of astronomical meaning but she insisted, "No, what does it mean astrologically."

"It means change," chimed in the cashier.

I was dumbstruck. "It means nothing or whatever you want it to mean." Well, they didn't like that and spoke among just themselves from then on.

When is there f'ing not change!? That's how astrology works: it perpetuates by claiming things that happen to most people most of the time, and good ol' confirmation bias (notice the hits but ignore the misses).

And why does it have to mean anything? Why can't it just be. If any meaning is claimed, it's from the minds of imaginative mammals.

This rare celestial event is a chance for discovery, yet it's reduced to the likes of reading chicken entrails. Pathetic.

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2012 :  19:56:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry, didn't notice the post about the transit already, as I just looked at the thread descriptions before posting here.
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2012 :  20:27:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by ThorGoLucky

I mentioned the Venus transit to an acquaintance and a cashier at the coop. I was asked what it means. I began to speak of astronomical meaning but she insisted, "No, what does it mean astrologically."

I was dumbstruck. "It means nothing or whatever you want it to mean." Well, they didn't like that and spoke among just themselves from then on.

Funny, "I was dumbstruck".
At least she didn't say "The Messiah is coming".

Sorry, didn't notice the post about the transit already, as I just looked at the thread descriptions before posting here.
No problem! I know you did it on purpose (not).

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2012 :  20:40:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

(apologies to those who already read this on on G+ and Facebook)

[My emphasis above.]

Damnit, Thor! The cashier lady was broadly hinting that she wanted you to take your change. Instead of politely taking it, there you were, holding up business and spouting skeptical stuff. What a bore. No wonder people stop talking with you.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 06/05/2012 22:31:57
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2012 :  08:34:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
{face palm}
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2012 :  08:46:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

{face palm}

Chin up. Lesson learned. You'll do better next time.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 06/06/2012 08:50:05
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.