General Skepticism
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2012 :  12:45:12  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
General Skepticism what does that mean? How does it differ from other skepticism? I have been watching a show called a haunting. Can all these people be making up the phenomena or misjudging their experiences?
I personally have never had an issue with a destructive ghost. Ghosts on the most part are docile. Yet most of these cases on the show are destructive ghosts. Perhaps it is the persons mind that creates the phenomena. Poltergeist activity. I do not like to put this under pseudoscience. Pseudoscience sounds so fake.. and I personally believe ghostly phenomena is real. I have experienced it. Investigated it. So I write under General Skepticism. I say i am skeptic about the phenomena, not because it is not real. I am skeptic on what these investigators and people think the cause is.

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2012 :  13:06:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Storm
Can all these people be making up the phenomena or misjudging their experiences?

Yes.
I am skeptic on what these investigators and people think the cause is.

Join the club.

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2012 :  13:48:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do not think all people make up the phenomena just misjudge the cause. but when can we ever get seriosus about investigation.A different approach...angle...How could we measure the minds cause of poltergeist activity?
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2012 :  13:55:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I personally have never had an issue with a destructive ghost. Ghosts on the most part are docile. Yet most of these cases on the show are destructive ghosts.
I suspect market research, whatever, has shown destructive ghost to be more entertaining. Better capable of holding an audience. I would bet that this ratings trend will lead agents to encourage more destructive behavior on the part of their docile clients. But hopefully a saturation point will be reached sooner rather than later and the audience will demand a return of realistic reality, when ghost were docile. I know I am already at that point.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2012 :  14:33:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yes but you are docile on ghosts because you do not beleive. Correct? You are right about the money and the drawing of the audiences. I could see why skeptics are skeptical.
I saw this new device called the ghost box. Actually just watched it being used on this crazy show about a Demon Hunter. It was nothing but a am/fm/ radio rigged. And they sell these things for lots of money. My question is how can you tell the difference between lady gaga singing and a ghosts voice?
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2012 :  15:22:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote

yes but you are docile on ghosts because you do not beleive. Correct?
No. I don't believe because I am not aware of any compelling evidence to support the existence of ghosts. After all this time I would have expect something beyond fuzzy images and questionable sounds.

I saw this new device called the ghost box. Actually just watched it being used on this crazy show about a Demon Hunter. It was nothing but a am/fm/ radio rigged. And they sell these things for lots of money. My question is how can you tell the difference between lady gaga singing and a ghosts voice?
There are reliable ways to measure Lady Gaga's existence. And ghost voices have a simple explanation once the con is revealed. Like the phony ghost box exposed in your previous sentence.

edited to add box

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Edited by - moakley on 06/06/2012 15:23:55
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.