Skeptic Friends Network

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 Politics
 The Republican Party of Texas
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2012 :  07:54:25  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll see your Canadian park entrance fees, Rat and raise you a full-blown right-wing theocracy. By comparison to our lunatics, your Canadian parties are pikers:


Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2012 :  23:29:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
More on the astonishingly theofascist Texas GOP platform, from Dispatches From the Culture War.

What I find especially puzzling and rare is that the Texas GOP's increasing radicalization comes at a time when the Republican Party thoroughly dominates the state: Governor, Senate, and state House of Representatives. Normally such radicalism exists in frustrated minority parties, especially insignificant third parties. Texas is just weird.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 06/28/2012 23:41:06
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2012 :  02:54:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Then there's this video from The Young Turks.

And Steven Novella has this to say about the anti-science aspects of the Texas GOP Platform.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 06/29/2012 03:06:19
Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1342 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2012 :  05:24:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Teachers and students should be able to discuss the strengths and weaknesses of these theories...


Certainly they should be able to. As soon as someone can find a genuine scientific weakness in evolutionary theory then they can discuss it.

We're waiting...

(fearless prediction: they won't find one)

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2012 :  05:49:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by The Rat

Teachers and students should be able to discuss the strengths and weaknesses of these theories...


Certainly they should be able to. As soon as someone can find a genuine scientific weakness in evolutionary theory then they can discuss it.

We're waiting...

(fearless prediction: they won't find one)
What a colossal waste of time. Creationism is NOT a scientific theory where Evolution is so they have no comparison. Creationism is not based on any evidence at all where evolution is solely based on the evidence that exists. There is nothing to discuss between the two.

"We're waiting..." indeed. Waiting for the evidence for creationism.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

Hal
Skeptic Friend

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2012 :  06:52:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Hal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, so the "critical thinking" stuff was a mistake?

Link

Contacted by TPM on Thursday, Republican Party of Texas (RPT) Communications Director Chris Elam said the “critical thinking skills” language made it into the platform by mistake.

“[The chairman of the Education Subcommittee] indicated that it was an oversight of the committee, that the plank should not have included ‘critical thinking skills’ after ‘values clarification,’” Elam said. “And it was not the intent of the subcommittee to present a plank that would have indicated that the RPT in any way opposed the development of critical thinking skills.”

Elam said the members of the subcommittee “regret” the oversight, but because the mistake was part of the platform approved by the convention, “it cannot be corrected until the next state convention in 2014.”

TPM asked Elam what the intent of subcommittee had been in including the “Knowledge-Based Education” plank.

“I think the intent is that the Republican Party is opposed to the values clarification method that serves the purpose of challenging students beliefs and undermine parental authority,” he said.


I'd say it was a very revealing mistake, if it actually revealed anything we didn't already know about this mindset.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2012 :  07:06:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Hal

Oh, so the "critical thinking" stuff was a mistake?

Link

Contacted by TPM on Thursday, Republican Party of Texas (RPT) Communications Director Chris Elam said the “critical thinking skills” language made it into the platform by mistake.

“[The chairman of the Education Subcommittee] indicated that it was an oversight of the committee, that the plank should not have included ‘critical thinking skills’ after ‘values clarification,’” Elam said. “And it was not the intent of the subcommittee to present a plank that would have indicated that the RPT in any way opposed the development of critical thinking skills.”

Elam said the members of the subcommittee “regret” the oversight, but because the mistake was part of the platform approved by the convention, “it cannot be corrected until the next state convention in 2014.”

TPM asked Elam what the intent of subcommittee had been in including the “Knowledge-Based Education” plank.

“I think the intent is that the Republican Party is opposed to the values clarification method that serves the purpose of challenging students beliefs and undermine parental authority,” he said.


I'd say it was a very revealing mistake, if it actually revealed anything we didn't already know about this mindset.


That "explanation" shows that the Platform they passed means exactly what is says. They really only regret that the they had to put it into words, and that some people in Texas can still read those.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2012 :  07:43:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It just came to me that the Texas GOP Platform has given away the game, previously played in secret. The subtext to their "Critical Thinking" plank is that they sense a loss of religious belief among the youth, and they fear that critical thinking is causing it.

Problem: Young people are losing faith. Solution: Quick! Dumb down the young people. Unstated assumption: Only those without good thinking skills will remain religious. They really shouldn't have said a word, but now the cat's out of the bag.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Hal
Skeptic Friend

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2012 :  08:01:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Hal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

It just came to me that the Texas GOP Platform has given away the game, previously played in secret. The subtext to their "Critical Thinking" plank is that they sense a loss of religious belief among the youth, and they fear that critical thinking is causing it.

Problem: Young people are losing faith. Solution: Quick! Dumb down the young people. Unstated assumption: Only those without good thinking skills will remain religious. They really shouldn't have said a word, but now the cat's out of the bag.


All true, but there's really nothing new here, and there's never been anything secretive about this agenda. I've been lectured on the dangers of "critical thinking," "free thinking," "secular humanism," etc., for as long as I can remember (just less than 50 years). No one has ever been shy about using this exact language, or about stating their fears in exactly these terms. You're talking about a world where a child grows up thinking of the Methodist church next door to his Baptist church as a weird, alien place.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2012 :  08:10:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Hal

Originally posted by HalfMooner

It just came to me that the Texas GOP Platform has given away the game, previously played in secret. The subtext to their "Critical Thinking" plank is that they sense a loss of religious belief among the youth, and they fear that critical thinking is causing it.

Problem: Young people are losing faith. Solution: Quick! Dumb down the young people. Unstated assumption: Only those without good thinking skills will remain religious. They really shouldn't have said a word, but now the cat's out of the bag.


All true, but there's really nothing new here, and there's never been anything secretive about this agenda. I've been lectured on the dangers of "critical thinking," "free thinking," "secular humanism," etc., for as long as I can remember (just less than 50 years). No one has ever been shy about using this exact language, or about stating their fears in exactly these terms. You're talking about a world where a child grows up thinking of the Methodist church next door to his Baptist church as a weird, alien place.

Wow. I really hadn't known that these guys have been so open with their anti-intellectualism that they'd advocate for dumbing down the youth like that. Something I'd missed.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Hal
Skeptic Friend

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2012 :  09:21:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Hal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Originally posted by Hal

Originally posted by HalfMooner

It just came to me that the Texas GOP Platform has given away the game, previously played in secret. The subtext to their "Critical Thinking" plank is that they sense a loss of religious belief among the youth, and they fear that critical thinking is causing it.

Problem: Young people are losing faith. Solution: Quick! Dumb down the young people. Unstated assumption: Only those without good thinking skills will remain religious. They really shouldn't have said a word, but now the cat's out of the bag.


All true, but there's really nothing new here, and there's never been anything secretive about this agenda. I've been lectured on the dangers of "critical thinking," "free thinking," "secular humanism," etc., for as long as I can remember (just less than 50 years). No one has ever been shy about using this exact language, or about stating their fears in exactly these terms. You're talking about a world where a child grows up thinking of the Methodist church next door to his Baptist church as a weird, alien place.

Wow. I really hadn't known that these guys have been so open with their anti-intellectualism that they'd advocate for dumbing down the youth like that. Something I'd missed.


It's as natural and innocuous as stating one's fondness for buttermilk pie.
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2012 :  10:24:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Republican Party is opposed to the values clarification method that serves the purpose of challenging students beliefs and undermine parental authority

So their official policy is to maintain parental ignorance and superstition. Parental authority = parental ignorance and superstition in Texas, no news flash there .

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2012 :  15:54:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[i]Originally posted by The Rat
As soon as someone can find a genuine scientific weakness in evolutionary theory then they can discuss it.

*bolding mine
I would like to mention two points on the above comment.
1) Even with any "weakness" that might be highlighted, that does nothing to invalidate the tonnes of the Strong evidence compiled to date supporting Evolution.

2) Attempts to point out discrepancies on specific aspects of Evolution has no bearing on creationism being valid or not. Creationism must stand on it's own or fail as the evidence dictates. Just like Evolution must and does.

It's simply amazing that with every year that goes by the theory of Evolution is even more validated than in previous years with new knowledge. It just doesn't stop, as anyone keeping up on genetics knows. They are now able and actually constructing the tree of life not from bone fossils but through genetic sequencing from existing species dna from what I understand.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1342 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2012 :  19:52:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by sailingsoul

[i]Originally posted by The Rat
As soon as someone can find a genuine scientific weakness in evolutionary theory then they can discuss it.

*bolding mine
I would like to mention two points on the above comment.
1) Even with any "weakness" that might be highlighted, that does nothing to invalidate the tonnes of the Strong evidence compiled to date supporting Evolution.

2) Attempts to point out discrepancies on specific aspects of Evolution has no bearing on creationism being valid or not. Creationism must stand on it's own or fail as the evidence dictates. Just like Evolution must and does.

It's simply amazing that with every year that goes by the theory of Evolution is even more validated than in previous years with new knowledge. It just doesn't stop, as anyone keeping up on genetics knows. They are now able and actually constructing the tree of life not from bone fossils but through genetic sequencing from existing species dna from what I understand.


Agree completely. I just wanted to be brief.

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.


Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.
Powered by @tomic Studio
Snitz Forums 2000