Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2012 :  07:24:11  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ghosts-- what are they really.. residual energy...imaginations gone amuck.. check this photo out..claims of the best picture of a ghost in 10 years... I do not thinks so.. hard to tell without close up of picture.. as well as the reflection of the light from the mirror..plus there are flecks of light all over... not that I do not beleive in ghosts.. just want an opinion on the picture. Also how do they determine it is a woman? And if they spend the night how will they know the ghost will appear. As a serious and skeptical investigator we know we cannot control when these things happen.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/2012/07/03/ghostly-apparition-caught-on-camera-at-perth-tearoom-hailed-as-best-evidence-of-paranormal-in-10-years-86908-23903655/

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2012 :  07:47:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And then there is this report... and you wonder why people do not take these things seriously http://web.orange.co.uk/article/quirkies/Ghostly_woman_filmed_in_mans_garden
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2012 :  11:11:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yup, I agree, Storm. Doubtful News had an item on this.

The Smudge sure doesn't look like, well -- anything recognizable -- to me. Maybe smoke, smudge on the lens, Photoshop job, steam, a loose length of fiberglass ceiling insulation, a loosely rolled bundle of translucent polyethylene plastic. But I would not think "ghost!"

"Something unrecognizable" does not mean "Something recognizable as 'paranormal'." Only business promoters or credophiles (people who get their kicks by believing in weird stuff just for the hell of it) would jump to the "ghost" conclusion. I do suspect it's all about money.

Not the "discoverers"alled in only certified credophiles to investigate the Smudgemonster. It wouldn't do to have skeptics or regular folks from off the street to take a close look, especially if the cafe's owner was interested in drumming up business!

BTW, I just got back from an evening on the town with 8 members of my mate's family. At our last stop, a crowded pizza parlor, one of the males in our party came back from the "comfort room" looking scared, and told us all that he'd seem a type of Filipino ghost in a commode stall. Just the bottom half of a person standing there. Our group was mostly women, who could not go into the men's room to look. The other two males were afraid to. I offered to have the witness show me to the comfort room and stall, but he declined, saying he was afraid to go back.

I just figured the guy saw something, some vague shape, and got way before he saw more, his mind filling in the blanks with the local fairytales of this highly superstitious culture.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 07/07/2012 14:08:26
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2012 :  11:05:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where's the claimed video? All I see is a picture. I can produce (fake) the same type of picture all day long.
It doesn't have to be an intentional fake as Mooner pointed out. That "Ghost" or whatever made the blur seems to be "on" the table or at least between the table and the lense. Either way free publicity never hurt any business as this business owner seems to know.
Ghost are everywhere, especially invisible ones. Can you explain this? It's reported in the video "they have considered every possible explanation" I think not. I can think of one they didn't think of. Can you?

As you would expect, being invisible makes them very hard to see. :)

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2012 :  11:44:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yup, that video was a zero, ss. I have blankets that we keep in those clear plastic zip-up containers they came in. The containers are always deforming slowly from gravity, and falling over on the shelf. Never realized we had invisible ghosts.

Storm's second link showed what appeared to be an old lady aimlessly walking around at night. Wow. At least the guy reporting her did not believe in ghosts, but seemed reasonably concerned that a stranger would trespass upon his space. Like old men, old women often will do that.

I am so underwhelmed by ghost reports lately. I think I'll either sleep now or go around the neighborhood on an aimless ramble, barefooted in a nightshirt.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 07/08/2012 11:45:13
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2012 :  14:12:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wish I would see something. Thats why I cannot beleive the fantasy prone idea. I have been just waiting to see one. Mens bathroom or not I would have been in there. Although I have felt thngs...heard things...but never saw one.. unless you consider a taxi as a ghost..did I ever tell you of the ghost taxi?
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2012 :  16:51:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Storm

I wish I would see something. Thats why I cannot beleive the fantasy prone idea. I have been just waiting to see one. Mens bathroom or not I would have been in there. Although I have felt thngs...heard things...but never saw one.. unless you consider a taxi as a ghost..did I ever tell you of the ghost taxi?
Don't wish just to see things, but to selectively see real things. Seeing the other kind is not healthy, especially if it happens regularly.

Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2012 :  16:57:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I beleive ghosts are real...whatever they maybe...souls of the dead? doubtful? left over energy from a tragic or emotianl event...most likely.. So I would like to see a real ghost...
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2012 :  17:50:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
left over energy from a tragic or emotianl event...most likely..
No, not most likely, because emotions are not "energy" and cannot remain in the environment. I recall seeing this explained to you multiple times, yet you persist in believing otherwise. Why? Your hypothesis is just as unscientific and implausible as the idea of "souls," so why do you prefer one explanation over the other? Why dismiss one as self-evidently ridiculous but consider the other "likely?"

I'm just trying to figure out how your thinking works.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 07/11/2012 17:55:04
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2012 :  19:46:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
let us say that the emotion that effects our body gets dispersed by the event into the atmosphere. We know tense emotions raise our blood pressure, our heartbeats, our ability to breath. Perhaps its in this that the enrgy is left. Has it not been proven our color changes or should I say the heat we give off can be seen? And when angry it is a different color? Einstein said energy does not die but gets put into a different form. Perhaps some of this emotinal energy is left over And only seen by those who have special abilities in there brains. Mediums and the such..while most of these people belive it is the actual conscious soul of the person that survives. I do not.
i have never seen a ghost and I have been in loads..loads of haunted places..

joe nikel said there are not haunted places but haunted people..perhaps these haunted people are those who can see these anomolies
H. Humbert I have tried to see ghosts never happens..does it make me not believe something is not going on... no someting is its just not controlled predicted hey so was quantum theory lon ago and look at us now
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2012 :  02:31:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think Einstein came up with the law of conservation of energy.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2012 :  06:34:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Perhaps some of this emotinal energy is left over And only seen by those who have special abilities in there brains.
In other words: magic.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2012 :  07:58:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps some of this emotinal energy is left over And only seen by those who have special abilities in there brains.
Since you brought up likelihoods, why not compare your scenario above to this:

Using their brains, some people, for some reason, believe that there is a thing called emotional energy and that this energy can hang around.

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2012 :  09:06:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote

let us say that the emotion that effects our body gets dispersed by the event into the atmosphere.
How can our emotions, which are generated by our brains, get into the atmosphere?

We know tense emotions raise our blood pressure, our heartbeats, our ability to breath.
Yes, because our brains control all of these bodily functions.

Perhaps its in this that the enrgy is left. Has it not been proven our color changes or should I say the heat we give off can be seen?
Yes, heat is a form of energy. Heat may linger for a short time in the environment. A recently vacated seat may stay warm for a time, but in a matter of minutes it will cool to room temperature again. What does this have to do with emotions lingering in a place of trauma years after the event occurred? I don't see the connection.

And when angry it is a different color?
If you are talking about thermal imaging, the colors are merely representations of temperature. Anger can make a person warmer by increasing their metabolism, so again the only thing we are seeing escape into the environment is heat--not the emotion itself.

Einstein said energy does not die but gets put into a different form. Perhaps some of this emotinal energy is left over...
No, no, this is still wrong. Emotions are not a form of energy. None of the laws of energy can be made to apply to emotions. Storm, emotions are brain states. They can cause bodily reactions through the release of stress hormones and other chemicals. They are biological phenomena, not supernatural.

And only seen by those who have special abilities in there brains. Mediums and the such..
No one has ever demonstrated an ability to detect auras (which are definitely not the same thing as thermal images). However, some people have claimed to see bright colors around people. There is a possible scientific explanation for this, but it has to do with malfunctioning senses.

joe nikel said there are not haunted places but haunted people..perhaps these haunted people are those who can see these anomolies
I think you misunderstood what Joe Nickell was trying to say. He meant that people deceive themselves. When you expect to see ghosts, you can trick yourself into "feeling" their presence. This is because people are highly suggestible.

H. Humbert I have tried to see ghosts never happens..does it make me not believe something is not going on... no someting is its just not controlled predicted hey so was quantum theory lon ago and look at us now
Why do you assume that what's "going on" is in the environment and not merely occurring in people's minds? Do you not think people are capable of being deceived?

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2012 :  09:21:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by On fire for Christ

I don't think Einstein came up with the law of conservation of energy.

You are correct, OFfC.

That would be several scientists going back all the way to about 550 BCE and Thales of Miletus. Galileo, Leibnez, Tait, and Grove.

Einstein merely added mass to the equasion in his Theory of Special Relativity.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2012 :  09:42:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I wish I would see something. Thats why I cannot beleive the fantasy prone idea.
But you do. You stated you believe in ghosts and or spirits. Just like beliefs in fairies and unicorn are fantasy ideas, so are ghost and spirits. You do believe in ghosts don't you and why are they NOT fantasy prone ideas?
Although I have felt things...heard things...but never saw one.. unless you consider a taxi as a ghost..did I ever tell you of the ghost taxi?
A ghost taxi? Please, do tell. I'm all ears.

Is that the one where a young girl flagged down a taxi at midnight and was killed in a horrific accident before getting home and now every year on the anniversary someone in that town reports seeing a cab with that girl inside offering free rides???

I'd love to hear about your ghost taxi story. Pretty please!

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.41 seconds.