An atheist President?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2012 :  07:21:40  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Holy crap! Poll: Most Americans would vote atheist for president. This is a huge turn-around from the past few decades. Perhaps I should think about running for office...

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2012 :  08:15:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Cuneiformist

Holy crap! Poll: Most Americans would vote atheist for president. This is a huge turn-around from the past few decades. Perhaps I should think about running for office...
As we continue to struggle, it's nice to reflect that we are now in the midst of one of history's greatest intellectual revolutions. And it's being led by the Millennial Generation -- those born around the turn of the century. I think it's amazing how fast things are changing. I wonder just where that bunch will take us.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2012 :  08:59:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

As we continue to struggle, it's nice to reflect that we are now in the midst of one of history's greatest intellectual revolutions. And it's being led by the Millennial Generation -- those born around the turn of the century. I think it's amazing how fast things are changing. I wonder just where that bunch will take us.[quote]From the article:

On the other hand, the survey showed that those who do not believe in God still come in behind every other group polled for, including gays and lesbians (68 percent) and Muslims (58 percent).
So atheists are still the least trusted people in America. I'm not trying to throw cold water on the results of the poll, because things are looking up. It's moving in the right direction.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2012 :  09:21:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

As we continue to struggle, it's nice to reflect that we are now in the midst of one of history's greatest intellectual revolutions. And it's being led by the Millennial Generation -- those born around the turn of the century. I think it's amazing how fast things are changing. I wonder just where that bunch will take us.[quote]From the article:

On the other hand, the survey showed that those who do not believe in God still come in behind every other group polled for, including gays and lesbians (68 percent) and Muslims (58 percent).
So atheists are still the least trusted people in America. I'm not trying to throw cold water on the results of the poll, because things are looking up. It's moving in the right direction.

Yeah, I saw that atheists are still behind basically everyone, and that people would still vote for a Muslim over an atheist-- which is startling, since among a great number of people in this country, Islam is almost akin to Satanism. But that over 50% would actually vote for an atheist is a huge improvement over what was thought in even the 1980's!

Question-- and I think I've read this but have forgotten-- is there ANY up front atheist in Congress? Also, do other countries have avowed atheists in high office (e.g. Prime Minister, etc.)?
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2012 :  09:25:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Originally posted by Kil

Yeah, I saw that atheists are still behind basically everyone, and that people would still vote for a Muslim over an atheist-- which is startling, since among a great number of people in this country, Islam is almost akin to Satanism. But that over 50% would actually vote for an atheist is a huge improvement over what was thought in even the 1980's!

Question-- and I think I've read this but have forgotten-- is there ANY up front atheist in Congress? Also, do other countries have avowed atheists in high office (e.g. Prime Minister, etc.)?
Answered my own question re atheist politicians in America. Still not sure about elsewhere, though.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2012 :  09:32:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it's safe to assume that atheists are all of the politicians in communist countries. That's if they are marxist communists anyhow.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2012 :  10:02:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, freethinker Pete Stark was my Congresscritter when I lived in Union City, (Northern) California. Oddly enough, his atheism never made a big splash or was a controversial issue. As it should be. His office was great help to me when my Social Security retirement payments did not begin to arrive on time.

Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2012 :  13:05:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

I think it's safe to assume that atheists are all of the politicians in communist countries. That's if they are marxist communists anyhow.
I was thinking advanced European countries...
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2012 :  15:16:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the Swedish Prime Minister is atheist agnostic.
Australian PM Julia Gillard.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 07/27/2012 15:20:43
Go to Top of Page

Machi4velli
SFN Regular

USA
854 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2012 :  21:56:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Machi4velli a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like Flynn's take that approval rates are highly tied to the familiarity of the population with individual atheists, which is why I think it's worthwhile for us to self-identify publicly to try to bring up that familiarity.

"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people."
-Giordano Bruno

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, but the illusion of knowledge."
-Stephen Hawking

"Seeking what is true is not seeking what is desirable"
-Albert Camus
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2012 :  00:57:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Germany's Angela Merkel seems to be Christian (but not evangelical, in the USA sense).

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2012 :  19:12:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've always suspected that Obama is a closeted atheist.

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2012 :  20:01:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by The Rat

I've always suspected that Obama is a closeted atheist.
Yeah. Me too.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2012 :  21:43:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My guess is that there have probably been several closet atheist presidents. Wiki says:
Almost all of the presidents can be characterized as Christian, at least by formal membership. Some were Unitarian or unaffiliated with a specific religious body. Some are thought to have been deists, or irreligious. No president thus far has been an atheist, a Jew, a Buddhist, a Muslim, a Hindu, a Sikh or an adherent of any other specifically non-Christian religion.
I'd tend to call an "irreligious" person an atheist.

Here's another article on this murky historical subject.

I have the same hunch about Obama as you people do, though I've no evidence. But for discussion's sake, I'll accept his self-identification as a Christian without prejudice.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 07/28/2012 21:58:44
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.