One of my two favorite talks
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2012 :  08:45:46  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
at TAM this year. There is nothing here that I disagree with and haven't thought about already. To me it goes a long way in explaining why the conflating skepticism with other things is a detriment to our mission. It's also a bit of a pep talk. Something we sometimes need.

Jamy Ian Swiss - "Overlapping Magisteria" - TAM 2012

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2012 :  10:29:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I enjoyed that. Swiss gave a rabble-rousing speech. I like and agree with the idea he expressed that scientific skepticism is perhaps the central and unifying component of the several related and usually allied "magisteria" of skepticism, atheism, and humanism. It's the primary "home-base" (I feel) that we all should regularly return to for intellectual focus, for grounding in reality and bullshit-checking, and for community, no matter how far away we roam to pursue less related passions. It has at least a partial code of morality, in seeing liars an cheats as enemies of humanity and reason. (That is the one idea Swiss gave out that I'd not ever conciously considered.)

(One thing I especially like about SFN is that I think most people here already are on board with most of what Swiss said, even more so that in some related fora.)

Thanks for the link, Kil!

What was the other of your "two favorite talks"?

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 08/08/2012 10:49:47
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2012 :  15:49:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pamala Gay's talk was the other one. Though there were many other talks that were right up there. Gay's talk was nothing like Swiss's talk.

Here is the text version of her talk.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2012 :  12:38:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think Swiss' talk is in PZ Myers' top ten, even.

I haven't watched it myself, yet. I've seen good and bad reactions to it.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2012 :  17:41:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

I don't think Swiss' talk is in PZ Myers' top ten, even.

I haven't watched it myself, yet. I've seen good and bad reactions to it.
PZ:
But the first half of this talk is scattered with sniping at atheists, and smug back-patting about how superior skeptics are to atheists.

No it's not. He is talking about the scope of scientific skepticism and why it's important as a jumping off place to inform atheism. There has been some disagreement about scope and that's what Swiss is addressing. Swiss included as critical thinkers and scientific skeptics many new atheists in that camp, including Dawkins and Dennet and Hitchens. He has nothing at all against what they are (or were, in the case of Hitchens) doing. But yes, he is talking about scope and what is this and what is that. Myers gets a lot of milage out of his strawman version of the talk.

By bringing in quotes by Drescher, and Loxton, Myers reaction is not surprising. Too bad.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2012 :  19:20:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In fact, reading the comments, I don't get it. The way Myers presented what Swiss was saying makes it sound like he was throwing atheism under the bus. He wasn't. He was reaffirming the scope of skepticism, in which includes this phrase; "There are no sacred cows." He never once said that religion isn't fair game. As for evidence, I have made the same argument Swiss makes about woo's having evidence. Anecdotal evidence that we don't consider good evidence. And then we attempt to show them why it isn't good evidence. So on and so on.

Myers:
It could have been a great talk. Ultimately, it just reaffirmed my regret that “skepticism” has become a label for the timid almost-skeptical, who like to reassure each other that they’re all truly the very best critical thinkers, now let the believers among us close their eyes and pray.

Give me a good hardcore New Atheist any day. Those are my people. They’re skeptical about everything, and don’t make special allowances for the benighted believers.

New atheists have their place in the skeptical movement. Swiss made that clear. The above statement just makes me sad. I think it's Myers who doesn't get it. And I think it's willful.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2012 :  23:38:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree, Swiss was careful to include Gnu Atheists in the skeptical community. PZ got it wrong. But "willfully" wrong? That's not required. I just think he's primed to see accommodationism even where it doesn't exist.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2012 :  20:11:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here is my other favorite talk from this years TAM. If you have read the talk, see this anyway. There is much more in the actual talk than what she posted.

Dr. Pamela Gay - "Make the World Better (Ask if Anyone Minds Later)" - TAM 2012

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds.