Innocence of Muslims
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2012 :  07:18:20  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good grief, it's bad. The alleged "movie trailer" that has sparked sometimes-violent protests in Europe, Africa, Asia and Australia is such an incomprehensible turd it's a wonder anyone can take it seriously enough to rise up in anger about it. With reports coming in that some of the protesters haven't even seen the POS, I tend to agree with the idea that the protests are really about something else, and the "movie" is just a convenient excuse (not that I agree with anyone who is suggesting that the "trailer" was released in order to spark protests or that the protesters themselves are responsible for it).

You can watch the whole 14-minute nightmare on YouTube, of course. I saw it on Hank Fox's blog, where he makes some other points about this mess.

I have my suspicions that they paid more to rent the military-looking Humvee (which has about 10 seconds of screen time) than they paid all the alleged "actors" put together. Of course, it may just be edited-together bits of other movies given that some parts are badly over-dubbed and some of the "actors" have disavowed it and claimed they were lied to about the subject matter. Really bizarre.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2012 :  08:13:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
White House Asks YouTube To Review “Innocence of Muslims” Film.

I'm behind the times. I didn't even know there was such a thing as "the International Blasphemy Standard." The "film" is somehow less nightmarish in comparison.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2012 :  08:26:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well we know that in Libya it was something else. That was a coordinated attack on 9/11 that may have had nothing to do with the video. But I don't know about the others. It could be that some people with an agenda worked up a bunch of people who believe them. Also I'm not sure that context matters. Dis Mohammad or openly make fun of him and some of their fundamentalists go into outrage and even violent mode. Remember the Danish cartoons and Simon Rushdi. Hysteria is contagious. I kind of doubt that Hillary's and Obama's explanations directed at those offended makes much of a difference if most of the people have not seen them.

I think Obama made a brilliant move. He said that he doesn't really know if Egypt is an enemy or an ally. They depend on a lot of American money, and until he said that, there wasn't only token Egyptian security at the embassy. One he said that, the security was beefed up significantly. My take is Obama shot across the bow, and it worked. They don't want to lose American funding.

But yeah. I don't know. I think it's a combination of things.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2012 :  10:40:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Good grief, it's bad.

Good grief is the word.
The video is so bad, rioting about it suddenly doesn't seem that unreasonable.
Not because Muhammed was insulted, but we the audience were.
That's 14 minutes of my life wasted, which I will never get back.

Really bizarre.
Amen!

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2012 :  12:48:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hung out for a while on YouTube watching the multitude of comments whiz by. I also posted some. There are rabid Muslims there.

Some guy posted that xe was a proud Christian so I simply added that I was a proud skeptical atheist. That prompted a response:
Jasirvp Vp: "you are proud now...see you people are proving again and again that the americans are the behind this film , that what allaha is donne"
Me: *An* American was behind it, not America. Learn the difference. People have choice here and it's none of my business nor yours.

http://www.youtube.com/all_comments?v=ntgzoE7rU9A
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2012 :  14:03:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by ThorGoLucky

I hung out for a while on YouTube watching the multitude of comments whiz by. I also posted some. There are rabid Muslims there.
What a zoo!!!

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Machi4velli
SFN Regular

USA
854 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2012 :  19:35:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Machi4velli a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I noticed a couple days ago that CNN was reporting the protests were in response to the "film," but Fox was reporting way less sure about the link. The difference didn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Any take on why this might be? Just incidental or somehow ideologically influenced?

"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people."
-Giordano Bruno

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, but the illusion of knowledge."
-Stephen Hawking

"Seeking what is true is not seeking what is desirable"
-Albert Camus
Edited by - Machi4velli on 09/16/2012 19:36:15
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2012 :  19:39:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Machi4velli

I noticed a couple days ago that CNN was reporting the protests were in response to the "film," but Fox was reporting way less sure about the link. The difference didn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Any take on why this might be? Just incidental or somehow ideologically influenced?
My bet would be that Fox doesn't want to give anyone even the inkling of an impression that the Muslims might be reacting to something they find offensive, and instead portray them as merely randomly and insanely violent.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2012 :  20:53:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sometimes it seems the earth is where the Milky Way sends it's nut cases.

I have no desire to ever visit places prone to this kind of rioting, thank you very much! I got way to many other choices.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2012 :  22:26:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote

My bet would be that Fox doesn't want to give anyone even the inkling of an impression that the Muslims might be reacting to something they find offensive, and instead portray them as merely randomly and insanely violent.

Think Fox are closer to the truth on this one.

Go to Top of Page

Machi4velli
SFN Regular

USA
854 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2012 :  23:15:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Machi4velli a Private Message  Reply with Quote

But... wouldn't reporting they killed four people people because some other people from the same country made a "movie trailer" depicting their religious icon make the case quite well that they were being insanely violent?

edit: post 666

"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people."
-Giordano Bruno

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, but the illusion of knowledge."
-Stephen Hawking

-Albert Camus
Edited by - Machi4velli on 09/16/2012 23:16:56
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2012 :  03:49:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

But... wouldn't reporting they killed four people people because some other people from the same country made a "movie trailer" depicting their religious icon make the case quite well that they were being insanely violent?
Perhaps you're forgetting that at least some of Fox's target audience thinks it's reasonable to beat the snot out of people just because they're gay, brown or female.
edit: post 666
Congrats!

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2012 :  18:05:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So it seems those involved did their investigating and I suspect they got him six ways from Sunday for violating his probation restrictions.
Under terms of his probation, he was not to use computers or the internet for five years without approval from his probation officer.
So the riots can continue, now that that bell has been struck again.

What can be more fun that beating a burning car with a long stick. News links.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2012 :  16:03:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nakoula Basselley Nakoula Sentenced For Supervised Release Violations.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Machi4velli
SFN Regular

USA
854 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2012 :  12:47:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Machi4velli a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks like Fox was right about the link. Unless they had some more information than everyone else, seems to me they were actually being the more skeptical outlet.

-Giordano Bruno

-Stephen Hawking

-Albert Camus
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.