Scientists aghast over Italian quake verdicts
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2012 :  13:11:01  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Italian courts have apparently gone nuts:
Earthquake experts around the world say they are appalled by an Italian court's decision to convict six scientists on manslaughter charges for failing to predict the deadly quake that devastated the city of L'Aquila. They warned the ruling could severely harm future scientific research.

The court in L'Aquila sentenced the scientists and a government official Monday to six years in prison, ruling that they didn't accurately communicate the risk of the earthquake in 2009 that killed more than 300 people.

The trial centered on a meeting a week before the 6.3-magnitude quake struck. At the meeting, the experts determined that it was "unlikely" but not impossible that a major quake would take place, despite concern among the city's residents over recent seismic activity.

Prosecutors said the defendants provided "inaccurate, incomplete and contradictory information about the dangers" facing L'Aquila.

The court agreed, convicting the six scientists from the Italian National Institute of Geophysics and Volcanology (INGV) and a member of the Civil Protection Agency. It also ordered the Italian authorities to pay 7.8 million euros ($10 million) in damages.

. . .

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2012 :  19:14:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote

From the same country that threatened Galileo and burned Giordano Bruno. I guess they want to return to the good old days.

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page

Machi4velli
SFN Regular

USA
854 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2012 :  19:56:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Machi4velli a Private Message  Reply with Quote
?!

"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people."
-Giordano Bruno

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, but the illusion of knowledge."
-Stephen Hawking

"Seeking what is true is not seeking what is desirable"
-Albert Camus
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2012 :  20:44:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
According to this article, the scientists weren't being charged with failing to predict an earthquake, but of providing criminally negligent information to government officials about the risks of one.
The prosecution's primary complaint is not so much that the government appointed panel of seismologists failed to predict the earthquake, but that they gave a falsely reassuring statement about its potential effects. The L'Aquila region had experienced two tremors prior to the earthquake, and local officials consulted the seismologists about whether or not it was a harbinger of things to come. In his closing statement, prosecuting attorney Fabio Picuti said the defendants had provided "an incomplete, inept, unsuitable and criminally mistaken" analysis which gave the residents of L'Aquila a false sense of security and led many to stay indoors when the first tremors hit. Science, they're arguing, did not do what was required.

But it seems what the scientists said was that there is no statistical correlation between tremors and earthquakes, and that tremors in the area did not necessarily mean an earthquake was immanent. This, of course, is still true even though an earthquake did hit. The trial is a clear case of scapegoating.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2012 :  23:03:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Scapegoats, indeed. What's next? NASA and the ESA blamed for solar flares? Virologists convicted of manslaughter for the next big flu epidemic? I suspect these verdicts reflect both the ignorance and anti-science sentiment that lurks in modern society. It's a throw-back to darker ages. Crops fail? Find the witch!

I guess God gets credit for the survivors of the L'Aquila earthquake, and scientists get blame for the deaths. Any credible seismologist in the world will tell you that prediction of quakes is not yet practical. That's basically what these scientists had reported in the first place. Italian politicians and courts, however, have 100% perfect records for earthquake postdiction.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2012 :  23:33:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow!

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2012 :  05:40:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Scapegoats, indeed. What's next? NASA and the ESA blamed for solar flares? Virologists convicted of manslaughter for the next big flu epidemic? I suspect these verdicts reflect both the ignorance and anti-science sentiment that lurks in modern society. It's a throw-back to darker ages. Crops fail? Find the witch!

I'm right here, but you'll never take me alive!!!!!

So, when are they gonna reanimate the corpse of Torquemada and have him "investigate" this because the government needs someone to blame?

I guess God gets credit for the survivors of the L'Aquila earthquake, and scientists get blame for the deaths. Any credible seismologist in the world will tell you that prediction of quakes is not yet practical. That's basically what these scientists had reported in the first place. Italian politicians and courts, however, have 100% perfect records for earthquake postdiction.

I will predict that INGV will shut down and when the government asks them about something they will suggest the government do something with themselves that is anatomically impossible.

I will say this about the INGV, at least they didn't "stumble" into the lifeboat.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds.