Skeptic Friends Network

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Community Forums
 General Discussion
 Disney buys Lucasfilm...more SW movies coming
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2557 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2012 :  16:39:12  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep, you've all heard or read about it by now. Disney has bought Lucasfilm.

On Tuesday, the Walt Disney Company announced that it will acquire Lucasfilm from George Lucas in a deal worth $4.05 billion.

But more importantly to “Star Wars” fans, a seventh film in the franchise has been announced.

“Episode 7,” which would pick up after the events of 1983’s “Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi,” is slated for release in 2015, with Lucas serving as the as creative consultant for the movie.


According to one guy who interviewed Lucas several times over the years:

The stories for "Star Wars" episodes seven, eight and nine, which George Lucas has outlined and the Walt Disney Company will produce and release, are "the most exciting" in the series, the filmmaker's biographer told TheWrap on Wednesday.

While researching his book, Dale Pollock, author of the unauthorized Lucas biography, "Skywalking: The Life And Films Of George Lucas," was allowed to read the outlines to the 12 stories written by the filmmaker but was required to sign a confidentiality agreement.


More on it here.
Didn't Lucas just say there would be no more "Star Wars"?

When Lucas was asked in January whether he would make another "Star Wars," he told the New York Times, "Why would I make any more when everybody yells at you all the time and says what a terrible person you are." Lucas addressed this head on Tuesday saying, "I always thought I wasn't going to do any more ["Star Wars" films], and that's true: I'm not going to do any more. But that doesn't mean I'm unwilling to turn it over to Kathy." Disney announced Lucas will stay on as a creative consultant for the next "Star Wars" trilogy and that Kathleen Kennedy -- who will be taking over as president of Lucasfilm -- will exec. produce the upcoming series. (Kennedy is a longtime producer for Lucas' pal Steven Spielberg dating back to 1982's global hit "E.T." She is currently Lucasfilm's co-chairwoman.) Lucas further indicated that he will be handing over already-made story treatments for the next trilogy of films (Episodes VII, VIII and IX).


So, Lucas himself isn't going to be making those movies, but his ideas will be used. Good news or bad?

As can be seen from my comments on a yahoo site yakking about this, I was less than impressed:

Oh good grief. If they were going to do this, they should have done this over 15 years ago. There's so many "novels" and comics out now that fill in what happened after episode 6, I have no idea how they could wedge anything in without over-writing the history that they Lucas and co. already made.

Unless they were to rehash some of what the novels did? Bah.

Here's what they should do: Have the new series start at least 200 years after episode 6, and have the opening scroll be an outright warning to any survivors that may find "this last recording" to avoid what happened to them. Have the ending of that opening scroll say something like: "This is how the galaxy died".

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.

Edited by - the_ignored on 10/31/2012 16:46:35

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1342 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2012 :  18:26:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2012 :  19:28:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's probably good. Disney is careful with their properties. They know how to keep a large franchise up and running. Hopefully they will continue to license a wide spectrum of Star Wars entertainment, from the squeaky clean stuff for the kiddies to the more mature and edgy stuff like the upcoming 1313 for grownup fans.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 10/31/2012 19:33:29
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Saudi Arabia
1266 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2012 :  03:49:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It has the potential to be awesome. George Lucas may have had a great vision but he almost ruined the franchise with his crappy writing of the 2nd trilogy. Using his basic outline, a good writer/director team might be able to come up with something really awesome. Disney did pretty well with their Marvel films after all, they don't just make cartoons and kids films as some assume. Sta

Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Saudi Arabia
1266 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2012 :  03:51:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Star wars doesn't even need to be edgy. A New Hope was rated U. And another positive is that Lucas can't ruin the next trilogy with his terrible writing, even though I admire his original vision. I'm assuming he no longer has the power to tinker with the old films any more either. If Disney get a good writer/director team the sky is the limit for this franchise.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2012 :  04:05:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by On fire for Christ

Star wars doesn't even need to be edgy. A New Hope was rated U. And another positive is that Lucas can't ruin the next trilogy with his terrible writing, even though I admire his original vision. I'm assuming he no longer has the power to tinker with the old films any more either. If Disney get a good writer/director team the sky is the limit for this franchise.
I agree. The worst possibility would be the new trilogy written by Lucas. Hopefully Disney will put its best writers on this project. And yes, even using a bad writer's outline, it's possible to turn a pig into a silk purse. Maybe I'll be willing to watch more than just one of this trilogy, unlike the last trilogy.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9675 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2012 :  08:08:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by On fire for Christ

It has the potential to be awesome. George Lucas may have had a great vision but he almost ruined the franchise with his crappy writing of the 2nd trilogy. Using his basic outline, a good writer/director team might be able to come up with something really awesome. Disney did pretty well with their Marvel films after all, they don't just make cartoons and kids films as some assume. Sta
I agree wholeheartedly with all of the above...

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4954 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2012 :  09:17:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by On fire for Christ

It has the potential to be awesome. George Lucas may have had a great vision but he almost ruined the franchise with his crappy writing of the 2nd trilogy. Using his basic outline, a good writer/director team might be able to come up with something really awesome. Disney did pretty well with their Marvel films after all, they don't just make cartoons and kids films as some assume.
This is true. I recall somewhere that Lucas had lots of help with dialogue in the original films and but got less help with the later ones. So yes, having someone who actually has a knack for such things would be a benefit for later films.

Still, I worry about story and plot. Even with a different director, TPM was horrible. (Note the wonderful critique here (it's in 7 parts, so it's quite long-- and a little odd-- but definitely spot on.)

To the defense of Lucas (sort of) and those horrible films, I feel like he painted himself in a corner by laying groundwork in the original films for a backstory that wasn't fully fleshed out. I'd wager a good amount of money that "Clone Wars" was a throw away line in Star Wars. I'm guessing a lot of other things were, too. If you read the Star Wars novel (or at least, the novel as printed in the late 70's), Vader is called something like "Lord of the Sith". I'd wager more good money that that was also a throw away phrase, used to sound good for a sci fi novel.

In any case, as I said, once it came time to actually explain this, it became hard to fit all the pieces together. (And why take the word "Clone" literally? It's Sci-Fi. "Clone" could be a planet, or some alien race!) Thus, we got a convoluted story about how some politician who happens to be an evil Jedi (now retro-fitted to be called a Sith) somehow uses some trumped up trade dispute (?) to cause a rift in galactic geo-politics and somehow come to power (this power grab was also alluded to in the Star Wars novel), and then for reasons unclear this guy secretly (?) commissions an army to be made of clones of a bounty hunter (who happens to be Boba Fett's dad (?!?)), and that is why it was called the Clone Wars? It's totally a stupid story, and if Lucas weren't surrounded by Yes Men, someone should have called him out on the whole thing.

I've read a few Star Wars novels that talk about the post-RotJ world, and I have to say that I was never impressed. Presumably, Lucas had to approve of those plots. Will these new movies follow those books? Or do something entirely different? Who knows. But I'm still skeptical that they're going to turn out OK.
Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2557 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2012 :  15:59:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In one of the links that I mentioned they said that it would have nothing to do with any of the novels that have been released so far.


>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.
Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2557 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2012 :  17:00:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks like they're already trying to figure out who the writers will be.


>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2012 :  17:41:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I see this as only positive. Lucas can't Binks any new SW movies!

I would like to see the Thrawn novels, by Tim Zahn, turned into the next trilogy. Then you'd have an actual serious three dimensional villain and a kick ass story to work with..... that is probably just wishful thinking though.


Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

tw101356
Skeptic Friend

USA
333 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2012 :  22:26:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send tw101356 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The fun-loving folks at b3ta.com have posted some photoshops of what we might expect to see:

http://www.b3ta.com/challenge/disney-wars/popular/

- TW
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Saudi Arabia
1266 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2012 :  23:13:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Those pics are so stupid. Are these people forgetting Disney brought us the Avengers? Was donald Duck in that?

Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1457 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2012 :  23:13:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by tw101356

The fun-loving folks at b3ta.com have posted some photoshops of what we might expect to see:

http://www.b3ta.com/challenge/disney-wars/popular/


RoFL
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4954 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2012 :  00:11:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by On fire for Christ

Those pics are so stupid. Are these people forgetting Disney brought us the Avengers? Was donald Duck in that?
"Fun-loving", guy. They're playing around.

Disney knows two things: a) that they need to make some serious cash to recoup their $4 billion, and b) that fans will not tolerate another film as bad as the last three. So if they want the first to happen, then they're going to do a LOT of things to make sure that the second doesn't come to pass.

I sincerely hope that they ditch the green-screen, CGI-heavy crap and do things like film on location, make actual sets, and just pay extras to dress up in Storm Trooper uniforms (wild guess: fans from across the world would probably pay good money to be an extra and keep their Storm Trooper outfit. Like, thousands of dollars).

Oh well. The months to come will no doubt reveal plenty of new rumors.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26007 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2012 :  01:02:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Cuneiformist

To the defense of Lucas (sort of) and those horrible films, I feel like he painted himself in a corner by laying groundwork in the original films for a backstory that wasn't fully fleshed out. I'd wager a good amount of money that "Clone Wars" was a throw away line in Star Wars. I'm guessing a lot of other things were, too. If you read the Star Wars novel (or at least, the novel as printed in the late 70's), Vader is called something like "Lord of the Sith". I'd wager more good money that that was also a throw away phrase, used to sound good for a sci fi novel.

In any case, as I said, once it came time to actually explain this, it became hard to fit all the pieces together. (And why take the word "Clone" literally? It's Sci-Fi. "Clone" could be a planet, or some alien race!) Thus, we got a convoluted story about how some politician who happens to be an evil Jedi (now retro-fitted to be called a Sith) somehow uses some trumped up trade dispute (?) to cause a rift in galactic geo-politics and somehow come to power (this power grab was also alluded to in the Star Wars novel), and then for reasons unclear this guy secretly (?) commissions an army to be made of clones of a bounty hunter (who happens to be Boba Fett's dad (?!?)), and that is why it was called the Clone Wars? It's totally a stupid story, and if Lucas weren't surrounded by Yes Men, someone should have called him out on the whole thing.
Back around the time that part 5 came out, I learned that Lucas had written the whole thing as a nine-part saga when he was a sophomore in college. At the time, I was too inexperienced to realize that that meant the whole thing was basically a teenage masturbatory fantasy, but by the time part one came out, it was quite obvious that was true.

Even the original - part four - doesn't stand up as anything more than geeky jerk-off material.

And sometime after part six was released, I got really tired of films which were nothing more than the characters moving from one crisis to another, without meaningful connections between them, and then that's almost all I got when watching part one. I remember, during my first viewing, thinking, "why are we wasting time watching them being chased by a giant fish thing? Is this going to go anywhere?" And it didn't. The fish thing was just a random Bad Guy which was forgotten in 30 seconds. Just like whats-his-name in the pod races. Holy crap that film was full of throw-aways.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.


Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.41 seconds.
Powered by @tomic Studio
Snitz Forums 2000