Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2012 :  08:34:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by sailingsoul

Originally posted by Dave W.

Wait. What's up with MSG? MSG is awesome! Every bag of Cheetos has lots of it.

Mmmmmmm...

Monosodium glutamate is an acid substance from seaweed. I agree it makes food taste great like chicken and pretty much everything but for me, it's just like aspartame, they both make my elbo joints and muscles hurt at night and gives my stiffness during the day. When I avoid them I getz no pain. Call me stupid , call me crazy, while it's not very scientific it works for me thank you very much. If as you get older you start hurting try avoiding them and see if that doesn't help.

Another thing, whenever I eat to much processed food my body starts hurting and it stops when I cook from scratch, in like my pain goes away. I find the coalition amazing and wonder if it's not bullshit but I'm not going to argue with being pain free. So I wallow in the bullshit.

One thing I found out as I got older and that is young people have no idea what it's like to get old but with luck they'll find out.
Ultimately, an individual has to go by their own experience, and they can't always afford to be formally "scientific." You may simply have genes that make you have an allergic or other toxic reaction to MGS and aspartame, especially since avoiding them doesn't. Maybe you had an experience with some foods that somehow made your body respond to those additives with allergies. It's not crazy to avoid things that your experience has told you are injurious to you. Not being scientific in such situations is not always bad. Sometimes, it's just the practical way to behave.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 11/10/2012 08:38:42
Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2012 :  10:43:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't be surprised if an "annoyance factor" and nocebo effect were a large part of the problem. But that does not mean that the problem should automatically be ignored. For example, I'm quite intolerant to my neighbors having their music on loud (especially at night) and have, over the years, been known to make some complaints about this. Most(?) other people don't really care or even notice loud neighbors and you could argue that the problem is all in my head, which is true to an extent. I'll still keep complaining, though.

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2012 :  11:02:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Hawks

I wouldn't be surprised if an "annoyance factor" and nocebo effect were a large part of the problem. But that does not mean that the problem should automatically be ignored. For example, I'm quite intolerant to my neighbors having their music on loud (especially at night) and have, over the years, been known to make some complaints about this. Most(?) other people don't really care or even notice loud neighbors and you could argue that the problem is all in my head, which is true to an extent. I'll still keep complaining, though.
To me here in the suburban Philippines, it's the nighttime chorus -- nay, symphony -- of barking, crying and howling dogs by the score, horny cats caterwauling, roosters beating their wings against walls (I hadn't even known roosters did that -- it sounds like someone knocking on a door, after which they crow), motorcycles, cars and trucks with their engines straining as they pass by on our narrow, steep street -- nay, alley -- and the curses, singing, coughs, loud projectile vomiting and sometimes crashing falls of drunks coming home in the dark hours of predawn.

But it's all becoming just normal background sound now. I rarely awake unless our own dog barks at an unusual sounding passerby. I guess one can get used to anything, eventually.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2012 :  12:12:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

It's not crazy to avoid things that your experience has told you are injurious to you. Not being scientific in such situations is not always bad. Sometimes, it's just the practical way to behave.
Yeah, if you eat some shrimp and your windpipe swells shut, it's probably a bad idea to say, "well, it may have been coincidental to something else, so I'll retest by eating some more shellfish."

(Well, in that sort of situation, if you're serious about scarfing prawns, you can get tested in a safe way.)

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.