Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2012 :  21:25:15  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Today a local firm installed a CCTV security system for my home here in Baguio, Philippines. Two weatherproof outdoor infra-red cameras and an Internet-accessible security DVR were installed. (Prior to this, I was relying upon two realistic-looking dummy cameras, along with dummy warning stickers.)

In my communications with the company, I repeatedly emphasized the need for them to bring a tall ladder. But when the four young installers arrived in a taxi, I was far from surprised to find they brought no ladder.

I showed them right off that I wanted one of the cams mounted high on a wall where it could scan the whole of the front gate and wall. I said that they needed to know right off that if they could not install it there, the deal was off, and I'd keep my 18,100 pesos.

No ladder, no problem, says they:

That's the way things are done here in the Philippines: Any way that works.

The installers shown above are:

Ernesto
Nero
Jumar
Chevy

(Photos taken by Rose. That's me on the left in the top photo.)

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 11/24/2012 01:40:56

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2012 :  22:16:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

The installers shown above are:

Ernesto
Nero
Jumar
Chevy

Welp. You can see who's at the bottom of the totem pole in that firm.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2012 :  00:40:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bets that the "supervisor" is the one who kept his polo on the whole time.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2012 :  00:45:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Bets that the "supervisor" is the one who kept his polo on the whole time.
This time you lose. The guy on top, and the guy under his left foot are the two "bosses," while the other two are apprentices.

Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1487 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2012 :  01:02:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My that prevent future critter nappings and other intrusions.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2012 :  01:39:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by ThorGoLucky

My that prevent future critter nappings and other intrusions.
May it, indeed, thanks! That and a little barbed or razor wire in strategic places.

Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2012 :  02:37:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
no ladder, no problem, pare

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2012 :  09:08:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did not mention this earlier because I hadn't watched it myself: These guys continued with the same human pyramid levitation technique as they ran the cables neatly in a narrow ledge around the front of the house at the level of second story's floor.

Man, they must be tired! But at least there were zero injuries. My mate Rose gave them a Tang-like orange drink and snacks, and I tipped them all at the end of their work. They all seemed jolly as they left, probably less from the tip than from surviving the work.

Here's Pare Ko ("My Buddy"), by the Eraserheads.

Thanks for the Tagalog word, OFfC! with pare ("buddy") added to dito ("here"), that's two that I now know. At this rate, in a few hundred years I should be a Tagalog chatterbox.

Bonus: With a Smile and Poor Man's Grave, Julie Tearjerky, all three in English.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 11/24/2012 09:13:26
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2012 :  14:13:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The best security I've ever heard of is one protected by a parrot and "Jesus". Here's how it works, when a burglar breaks in the parrot tells him Jesus won't like him robbing this house. When the robber tells the parrot that Jesus can't stop him, the parrot explains that the pitbull guard dog behind him is named "Jesus".

I hope it works out for you, Mooner.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2012 :  18:39:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by sailingsoul

The best security I've ever heard of is one protected by a parrot and "Jesus". Here's how it works, when a burglar breaks in the parrot tells him Jesus won't like him robbing this house. When the robber tells the parrot that Jesus can't stop him, the parrot explains that the pitbull guard dog behind him is named "Jesus".
You need some practice telling a joke...
So one night a burglar breaks into a house, and begins to steal the nice stereo system in the living room. As he's pulling the components off the shelves, he hears a voice say, "Jesus is watching you."

He stops for a moment, convinces himself he was hearing things, and goes back to work.

"Jesus is watching you." He stops and takes a good long look around, and sees a parrot in a cage, looking at him. The burglar says, "Are you Jesus?"

"No," the parrot says, "I'm Moses."

The burglar asks, "What kind of person would name a parrot Moses?"

"The same kind of person who would name a Rottweiler Jesus."
I'll be here all week.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2012 :  04:26:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dave, you screwed up the joke by substituting "Rottweiler" for the much bigger yucks inherent in "pitbull." Cripes.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2012 :  05:19:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mooner, did you get a new job at the Department of Redundancy Department?

Pitbulls got a bad rap. Time to pick on some other breed.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2012 :  07:15:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Mooner, did you get a new job at the Department of Redundancy Department?
Double-posted again, didn't I. That's okay, I've now killed the less edited version.
Pitbulls got a bad rap. Time to pick on some other breed.
Says pitbulls.

Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2012 :  14:48:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote

You need some practice telling a joke...
Everyone's a critic.

OK! I was walking down the street with a dog when I met a friend. Looking at the dog he asked if my dog bites. I said "No". So he reached down to pet the dog and the dog bit him. Looking at me surprised he said "You said,, your dog doesn't bit!"

And I said "that's not my dog".

How's that one Dave?

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2012 :  16:13:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

How's that one Dave?
The Pink Panther Strikes Again, 1968.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2012 :  22:54:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

How's that one Dave?
The Pink Panther Strikes Again, 1968.
"Durrs your durg bite?"

"No."

<Snap! Bite! Growl!>

"I thought you said your durg durrs not bite!"

"That is not a durg. Durg is a city in central India."

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds.