Politics
 Repugs shoot down UN disability bill.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2012 :  22:25:12  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Apparently, Jon Stewart isn't too pleased about this.

Neither am I. You'll note that Senator Inholfe in involved in this.

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.

Edited by - the_ignored on 12/10/2012 22:36:56

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2012 :  05:37:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What jerks. They were and remain bullies of the poor and the weak.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2012 :  06:44:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

In this case, they walked by a US soldier who gave use of his right arm for the defense of this nation to pander to a fringe element. That fringe element fears any UN treaty as giving up sovreignity to the UN.

It's BS and we have more stringent laws on the books concerning disability access than the other signatories. It was a way for the US to lead on something and the Republican Congress pussed out.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2012 :  08:14:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Valiant Dancer

In this case, they walked by a US soldier who gave use of his right arm for the defense of this nation to pander to a fringe element. That fringe element fears any UN treaty as giving up sovreignity to the UN.

It's BS and we have more stringent laws on the books concerning disability access than the other signatories. It was a way for the US to lead on something and the Republican Congress pussed out.
Right. That's what happened. The Republican party itself is now the lunatic fringe.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2012 :  10:35:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

Right. That's what happened. The Republican party itself is now the lunatic fringe.
I guess none of them went anywhere to discuss why they voted against it.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2012 :  20:35:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by moakley

Originally posted by Kil

I guess none of them went anywhere to discuss why they voted against it.
I saw one of them on the news defending his vote. He said he didn't want the UN dictating to America what it can and can't do. Honestly. That was his case.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Hal
Skeptic Friend

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2012 :  06:55:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Hal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know why I irrationally regard the Senate as the Super-ego to the House's Id. Why should I expect more from them?

It would never surprise me to see such a thing in the House, but seeing it in the Senate struck me as especially weird. At the same time, I generally expect that senators are playing the "long game," towards some obscure end. What would that be in this case? Is this part of an over-arching strategy to weaken, and eventually eliminate, the kinds of individual protections embodied by the ADA? That makes some sense. A little bit simpler to kill the ADA if it's not tied up with any international treaties.

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
Martin Luther King Jr.

Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2012 :  09:07:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Hal

I don't know why I irrationally regard the Senate as the Super-ego to the House's Id. Why should I expect more from them?

It would never surprise me to see such a thing in the House, but seeing it in the Senate struck me as especially weird. At the same time, I generally expect that senators are playing the "long game," towards some obscure end. What would that be in this case? Is this part of an over-arching strategy to weaken, and eventually eliminate, the kinds of individual protections embodied by the ADA? That makes some sense. A little bit simpler to kill the ADA if it's not tied up with any international treaties.

I suspect it has something to do with the ideal of American Exceptionalism held by much of their base. That adopting something originating from the UN is anathema to that ideal. A giving back of the leadership and respect that we deserve. Pig headed idealogues.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2012 :  09:16:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Im just waiting for this ACLU-UN-Doctors Without Borders/... conspiracy to bear fruit, they seem to be the only people more inept than these GOPs.(pronounced like "cops" so it sounds like an insult)

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2012 :  11:39:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Hal

The Senate as a whole could actually be pretty good, and still fail to pass this treaty. Treaties require a 2/3 vote for ratification, and that means a mere 34 Senators can put the kibosh on one. (Constitutionally, the House has nothing to do with treaty ratification.) So all that is needed for this kind of petty and essentially bullying and barbaric obstructionism is a handful of GOP bad apples. They seem to have learned nothing from the 2012 elections about the growing disgust felt for them by the American voters. Instead, they harbor an urge for revenge, however self-destructive that may be in reality.

What they seem to forget is that what they do in the Senate is actually recorded. Oops.

Another thing: The GOP actually seems to glory in the idea that the United States ought to look like a peculiar and paranoid freak among other developed nations.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 12/12/2012 11:43:28
Go to Top of Page

Hal
Skeptic Friend

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2012 :  13:43:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Hal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm over-thinking it, almost certainly. It may be that many senators are every bit as crazy as their base. Or, this is cynical pandering to that base in pursuit of even more unpopular ends.

Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2012 :  01:41:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Hal

I'm over-thinking it,
Possibly, keep going.
almost certainly.
Yes! Now stop thinking your done with that insight.
It may be that many senators are every bit as crazy as their base.
Bingo! They are bat shit crazy just like Sara Palin or Michele Bachmann but their senators. Get it?
Or, this is cynical pandering to that base in pursuit of even more unpopular ends.
No, you were done thinking and your going to far with this, back up.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

Hal
Skeptic Friend

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2012 :  04:48:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Hal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Charming.
Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2012 :  16:53:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that he's trying to say that he agrees with you Hal, only he's giving the politicians less credit than you are.

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2012 :  18:45:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by the_ignored

I think that he's trying to say that he agrees with you Hal, only he's giving the politicians less credit than you are.

Oh absolutely Hal, no shit'in! I was agreeing with your figuring. Really you basically said first what I was figured was the case after you said it. My thinking stopped at the or part. Sorry if you thought I was messing with you or something. I suppose I'm not as clear as I think I'm being more often than not.

My apologizes to you if that wasn't what I conveyed.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.