A Christmas story from Baguio
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2012 :  11:57:21  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A few nights ago, the Christmas season began in the Philippines.

Filipinos don't have Thanksgiving, and they neither Trick nor Treat on Halloween. But for the last few nights and lasting until about New Years Eve, kids, youths and sometimes a few adults go traipsing about the ill-lighted residential neighborhoods "caroling." I put that last word inside scare-quotes for a reason: It's not just singing.

From dusk until about 9 PM, groups of two to a dozen people go about singing, beating gongs and drums, playing guitars or marching-band instruments, and/or just chant/rap the words of Christmas songs -- often with young kids getting the words hilariously wrong in the process. ("Deck the walls with bowels of Ollie," etc.) The performances range from charmingly amateurish efforts of children all the way to semi-professional quality choir vocals and band music. Then there are the few who shout in loud annoyance when householders fail to rush out with coins in hand for their second, third, or forth raucous performance of the evening.

All the types and ages of carolers expect a small donation of money, regardless of whether their performance was cute, esthetic, or brazenly and annoyingly ad hoc.

The street dogs go wild in barking accompaniment without expert critical judgement. The effects on the neighbors varies from one group of carolers to the next. Every evening is a trip along the ill-maintained rails of a musical and emotional roller coaster.

But something I saw from my small balcony during daylight hours today got even more of my attention than the caroling.

I heard a small child cry out loudly in the alley outside my gate. I got up from my chair and looked down. A small boy, really still a toddler, had fallen onto his belly on the narrow alley that is our street. He lay there crying, got up briefly, then shouted up the alley (in the direction leading toward town). My view in that direction was blocked. I could not see if he was shouting to someone in particular.

The alley is steep and is trafficked by taxis, motorcycles and private cars regularly. People tend to go pretty fast on it, despite the fact that it is too narrow for two cars to pass. When a car comes down or up the alley, pedestrians quickly step to the side.

But there was this toddler in the exact middle of the alley, on his belly, screaming his head off. Everything about this situation looked wrong and dangerous, and I was alarmed.

I shouted to Rose to go and find out what was wrong with the kid, and to get him out of the way. (Better her than me, as I'm slower and don't know any of the local languages. And I'm male.) Rose went out and first picked the kid up and led him to the side of the alley. Then I called to her and asked whether the toddler was calling to someone nearby. Rose established that no, nobody was waiting for the kid up the alley. I asked if she could take the kid to our uphill next-door neighbor Sonny's tiny variety-store-cum-home (a "sari-sari store") and ask the people there if they knew the kid and what the deal was.

When Rose returned home in a few minutes, she explained that as soon as she got to the store, the kid pointed at grilling hot dogs. Rose bought him some. She found out that the kid was extremely hungry, and had been left at home alone. His mother, a relative of Sonny explained, was known to be an addicted BINGO player. The people at the store knew where the kid lived, and promised to take him home when his mother got back.

I told Rose that the next time I saw such a thing I was going to call the police right away, so that the local Department of Social Services will get involved.

And I'm arranging with Sonny so that anytime a kid comes hungry into his store, they'll feed him and I'll pick up the tab.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 12/18/2012 13:12:57

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2012 :  12:30:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner
I told Rose that the next time I saw such a thing I was going to call the police right away, so that the local Department of Social Services will get involved.
Why next time? There may not be a next time. I would suggest at least filing a report to child services about the condition you found the boy, unless you feel involving the authorities is likely to cause the kid more harm than good. Perhaps a visit with the mother can shed some light on the situation. Gambling addiction is real and she needs to get help with it if she is neglecting her child.

And I'm arranging with Sonny so that anytime a kid comes hungry into his store, they'll feed him and I'll pick up the tab.
That's extremely good of you. Seriously. People like you make this world a better place. Wish there were more like you, Mooner!

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2012 :  13:11:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by H. Humbert

Why next time? There may not be a next time. I would suggest at least filing a report to child services about the condition you found the boy, unless you feel involving the authorities is likely to cause the kid more harm than good. Perhaps a visit with the mother can shed some light on the situation. Gambling addiction is real and she needs to get help with it if she is neglecting her child.
Yeah, you're right. Perhaps I was being cowardly, and/or unsure of myself as a resident alien and an outsider to this culture. It's hard for me to feel certain of my judgement of such things. But I do intend to snoop around, ask some questions, and keep track of this kid's situation. If I hear enough bad stuff, I'll report this right away. For now, I'm just half-assuming that what we witnessed meant what we thought it did -- a hungry kid abandoned. And that the somewhat hearsay report we got from Sonny''s brother-in-law was factually correct. (It's possible that the mom had a babysitter who was negligent, or something like that. I feel I need to know more.)

That's extremely good of you. Seriously. People like you make this world a better place. Wish there were more like you, Mooner!
Well, thanks. I suspect nearly anyone would do as much, or more.

Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2012 :  14:57:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suspect nearly anyone would do as much, or more.
I can't picture Mitt Romney doing something like this. He'd just put up a taller fence around his stuff.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2012 :  19:30:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by H. Humbert

I suspect nearly anyone would do as much, or more.
I can't picture Mitt Romney doing something like this. He'd just put up a taller fence around his stuff.

What a terrible thought. Poor Mitt he's so misunderstood. I think he would love to give himself and others who make multimillion dollar annual incomes and greater a tax rate reduction to 10%, so they can keep more money to create more jobs with. Helping the economy and people even more than they are doing already.

Good for you Mooner, I think your being wise to tread lightly but cautiously for the time being. How much can this hurt you cash wise for the time being? I think that you should be sure that child services, if they get involved, are going to be a positive thing for the child and not make his life worse. If the mother hears of this it might cause her to "adjust" her ways so this won't be likely to happen again but who knows. I like your approach you can always go further in the future if need be.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2012 :  00:21:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by sailingsoul

Good for you Mooner, I think your being wise to tread lightly but cautiously for the time being. How much can this hurt you cash wise for the time being? I think that you should be sure that child services, if they get involved, are going to be a positive thing for the child and not make his life worse. If the mother hears of this it might cause her to "adjust" her ways so this won't be likely to happen again but who knows. I like your approach you can always go further in the future if need be.
Thanks, ss!

Of course, my idea of feeding the hungry will have to have some major limits. I actually don't expect the expense to exceed a few dollars a month. And very likely even less. I will tell Sonny that my offer isn't to be put a poster in front of his store offering free snacks, and that the free food is intended for quiet help in such extreme cases. (I haven't seen any others like that toddler.) Anyway, I'll burn that bridge when/if I come to it.

I was thinking about what we witnessed yesterday, and talking it over with Rose. The kid was not skinny, was dressed in decent clothing, and wasn't dirty. He is about two years of age. Rose said that when she'd asked him questions, he was unable to say anything clearly, though he'd been calling, "mama!" along with his cries earlier.

We think he'd maybe missed a meal or two. Of course, a meal or two is way too many for any kid to miss, and being left alone (if he had been) is an unacceptable danger all its own. I vaguely recall that when I was a kid, my brain and body thought I was literally starving, and could barely stand up, in the rare cases where I'd missed a meal. So the "starvation" was probably not chronic but genuinely acute.

I'm going to be chatting more with the neighbors in the next few days. I have a feeling that, whatever I do, I've got to get it right.

I'll keep people here informed, as I learn or do anything new.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 12/19/2012 00:25:19
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2012 :  00:44:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sonny has now agreed to run a tab for me, and to give a healthy meal to any really hungry small kid that might wander into his sari-sari store. He'll keep the arrangement low-key. We'll see how that works, while I nose around for more information about the toddler. Right now, we don't even know his name.

Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2012 :  01:42:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know I shouldn't laugh... but addicted to BINGO? hahahahahaha

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2012 :  02:06:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by On fire for Christ

I know, BINGO seems about the most boring game on earth. But addictions do come in many forms. For me, it's cigarettes and MMORGs, often simultaneously.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 12/19/2012 02:08:48
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2012 :  09:27:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good on you Mooner! But good deeds will not keep you out of hell!! (Okay... I had to go there. Duh!)

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2012 :  02:11:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

Good on you Mooner! But good deeds will not keep you out of hell!! (Okay... I had to go there. Duh!)

Right, I know. But that's why I'll meet so many good people there.

Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2012 :  08:49:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by On fire for Christ

You haven't seen a senior center on BINGO night, have you.

Those oldsters are hardcore.

Yell BINGO at the wrong moment and one just might shiv ya.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds.