More stupid than your average creationist
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2012 :  18:46:52  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote

If you haven't seen this video yet, you might want to sit down and pour a stiff drink. This may be the most inane question I have ever heard about human evolution, and I haven't yet quite fully convinced myself that Dawkins hasn't hired an actor to do this as a joke. Don't click on the 'new version' link because the newer one doesn't have the 'eye' question: Unbelieveable.

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2012 :  21:44:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote

And counterpoint. The sane one in this video is a reverend.

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2012 :  02:17:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There used to be a youtube video (which I can't find right now) which debunks this "dissnet from Darwinism" list of scientists.

First of all, they are pretty much all PhDs. But having a PhD in mechanical engineering, math, or programming doesn't make you a scientist. Once you've cleared the list of non-relevant sciences, there's less than 10% of the names left.
The guy who made the youtube video I'm thinking of contacted or try to contact the rest of the signatories to have them verify their signature. Only a few were left after that screening.

(Edit: Maybe I confused the video with a Global Warming Science dissent-list fron the Hudson Institute.)

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 12/31/2012 02:20:01
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2012 :  07:18:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by The Rat

And counterpoint. The sane one in this video is a reverend.

Yep, that'd be Barry Lynn. According to Wiki, he's been the Executive Director of Americans United for Separation of Church and State for the past 20 years.

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2012 :  15:25:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

There used to be a youtube video (which I can't find right now) which debunks this "dissnet from Darwinism" list of scientists.

First of all, they are pretty much all PhDs. But having a PhD in mechanical engineering, math, or programming doesn't make you a scientist. Once you've cleared the list of non-relevant sciences, there's less than 10% of the names left.
The guy who made the youtube video I'm thinking of contacted or try to contact the rest of the signatories to have them verify their signature. Only a few were left after that screening.

(Edit: Maybe I confused the video with a Global Warming Science dissent-list from the Hudson Institute.)
I don't believe your confused Dr. Mabuse. Might you be thinking of this evisceration of one of the discovery institute's list of "scientists" who reject common descent. Which is the "Theory of Evolution" for those scientifically ignorant people reading this . How pathetically deceitful the Discovery Institute is and this is the best they can do?
In fact it is the best the best they can do because if one is going to have an HONEST and truthful conversation between people Theists will loose every time.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2013 :  01:52:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by sailingsoul
I don't believe your confused Dr. Mabuse. Might you be thinking of this evisceration of one of the discovery institute's list of "scientists" who reject common descent.

That's the video I was looking for but didn't find. Strangely enough, I browsed DonExodus2 and thought I recognised his username but missed it.

Which is the "Theory of Evolution" for those scientifically ignorant people reading this . How pathetically deceitful the Discovery Institute is and this is the best they can do?
I believe that was one of the reasons behind "Project Steve", to mock DI...

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2013 :  08:31:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. MabuseI believe that was one of the reasons behind "Project Steve", to mock DI...

Totally was.

Go to Top of Page

Machi4velli
SFN Regular

USA
854 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2013 :  15:22:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Machi4velli a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some mathematicians do biomath/biostochastics! I know some!

So I think rejecting them as not relevant may not be justified.

"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people."
-Giordano Bruno

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, but the illusion of knowledge."
-Stephen Hawking

"Seeking what is true is not seeking what is desirable"
-Albert Camus
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2013 :  17:33:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Machi4velli

Knowing mathematicians that do biomath/biostochastics is one thing, the real issue is more than that.

Are any of the ones you know have there names on Discovery Institutes' bogus (bullshit) list?

If their names are on the list, do they support ID thus rejecting Theory of Evolution? That's what I'd like to know.

edit: spelling

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Edited by - sailingsoul on 01/04/2013 07:13:36
Go to Top of Page

Machi4velli
SFN Regular

USA
854 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2013 :  14:36:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Machi4velli a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of course not, but the video rejected them based on what their degrees were without checking what they actually did. It's still mostly fraudulent...

"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people."
-Giordano Bruno

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, but the illusion of knowledge."
-Stephen Hawking

-Albert Camus
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2013 :  00:20:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote

How many mathematicians actually do biomath/biostochastics?
If there are 10% of them in the world, then we should keep 10% of the math degrees in the list.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Machi4velli
SFN Regular

USA
854 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2013 :  06:44:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Machi4velli a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Less than 10% I'm sure, but we're talking about a sample of almost nothing, so hard to tell about the individuals. Dismissing them out of hand just seemed not necessarily justified.

-Giordano Bruno

-Stephen Hawking

-Albert Camus
Edited by - Machi4velli on 01/05/2013 06:45:43
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2013 :  14:39:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Then it seems fair to dismiss the mathematicians out-of-hand, unless they can explicitly be put in the field of biology research as you suggested they might.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2013 :  18:33:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Of course not, but the video rejected them based on what their degrees were without checking what they actually did. It's still mostly fraudulent...
I see your point Machi4velli, true. Given enough time and resources every name on the list should be vetted and contacted for that matter but is that really necessary give the results of those who were contacted? I think not but that would be even better I suspect. I think there's something very telling about the deceptively calculated way they created the list and the unabashed way they try to sell it as legit. Does it indicate a complete void of any scruples? It does to me, certainly with this endeavor.

I'm thinking the Discovery Institute is using and working with the same tools that are so successful in generating the money for those who are funding the DI's work. It's reported they have a $4 million annual budget. This money doesn't come out of a vacuum. Unless it's God work, then it could, so their story goes.

Go to Top of Page

Machi4velli
SFN Regular

USA
854 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2013 :  21:32:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Machi4velli a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

Then it seems fair to dismiss the mathematicians out-of-hand, unless they can explicitly be put in the field of biology research as you suggested they might.

Well, some of them can be... Even if all of the ones on the list are, that's not very many, and as SS mentions, DI loses all credibility anyhow for finding even a few were not actually in support of the position.

-Giordano Bruno

-Stephen Hawking

-Albert Camus
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.