Radio Radiation and Sperm Counts/Abnormalities
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2013 :  21:49:03  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A friend is concerned about negative health effects of radio radiation, specifically cell phone radiation. I explained the difference between ionizing and non-ionizing radiation, and that the power output is rather small compared to dangerous non-ionizing radiation like from microwave ovens. He came back with this study:

http://www.unboundmedicine.com/medline/citation/19816647/abstract/Preliminary_study_on_the_induction_of_sperm_head_abnormalities_in_mice_Mus_musculus_exposed_to_radiofrequency_radiations_from_global_system_for_mobile_communication_base_stations_

If it's a quality study that is independently verified then that would be something interesting, but my understanding is that the scientific literature shows inconclusive or no problems with cell phone photons, eh?

(I am put off by the domain name; we sure wouldn't want to be bound by science!)

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2013 :  04:59:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The paper (PDF) reports that the mice spent a solid six months living a mere one meter from old 2G cell phone base stations. This is, of course, a completely unrealistic model for any human exposure, even for GSM maintenance workers.

Testicles dangle because sperm health is sensitive to heat (see this abstract, for example). It's plausible that the ordinary thermal effects of such extreme exposure to GSM radiation could have caused the observed effects.

The authors don't explain in any detail how the cages were situated. One meter from a base station is going to require the mice to be outside. Why they acclimated the mice to lab conditions for 14 days when they weren't going to live in lab conditions is beyond me. If the control mice remained under lab conditions while the test mice were outdoors, in Nigeria, for six months, then those differences in temperature and humidity could explain the observations, too. The cages weren't climate controlled, but had perforated lids.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2013 :  13:33:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the response, David. Hail to mammal dangly bits.

Would you say that the scientific literature is negative or unclear in regards to radio/mobile/cell radiation having adverse health effects? The World Health Organization has it classified as 2B, a possible cancer risk.

I created a graphic to show that scientific literature can narrow in on a conclusion as long as there are good quality studies, so I wonder if there aren't enough good quality studies yet, or if there were other reasons for the WHO classification.

Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2013 :  06:17:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know Thor, I've been reading somewhere lately that cannabis could help. Even if not directly reversing the health issues but it might, it will relieve any stress he's experiencing from his worries with the negative health effects of cell phone radiation. Maybe he can ease the concerns and settle his troubled mind if you suggest that?

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2013 :  07:21:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by ThorGoLucky

Would you say that the scientific literature is negative or unclear in regards to radio/mobile/cell radiation having adverse health effects?
I'd say I haven't read enough of it to make such a determination.
The World Health Organization has it classified as 2B, a possible cancer risk.
Yeah, a 2B classification means:
This category is used for agents for which there is limited evidence of carcinogenicity in humans and less than sufficient evidence of carcinogenicity in experimental animals. It may also be used when there is inadequate evidence of carcinogenicity in humans but there is sufficient evidence of carcinogenicity in experimental animals. In some instances, an agent for which there is inadequate evidence of carcinogenicity in humans and less than sufficient evidence of carcinogenicity in experimental animals together with supporting evidence from mechanistic and other relevant data may be placed in this group. An agent may be classified in this category solely on the basis of strong evidence from mechanistic and other relevant data. (emphasis in original)
Lots of stuff is classified 2B which people generally consider harmless (cancer-wise), like coffee and nickel.
I created a graphic to show that scientific literature can narrow in on a conclusion as long as there are good quality studies, so I wonder if there aren't enough good quality studies yet, or if there were other reasons for the WHO classification.
Unfortunately, the monograph regarding "Radiofrequency electromagnetic fields" (including wireless phone radiation) hasn't been published yet, so we can't tell the basis for the 2B classification.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds.