Spiritual Triage
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2013 :  10:46:29  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Go get 'em, Mikey!

http://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelpeck/2013/02/25/religious-computer-game-brings-wrath-down-on-pentagon/?utm_source=followingimmediate&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20130225

Disclosure: I'm friends with that Forbes blogger. He's a fellow board gamer.

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2013 :  13:11:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by ThorGoLucky

Go get 'em, Mikey!

http://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelpeck/2013/02/25/religious-computer-game-brings-wrath-down-on-pentagon/?utm_source=followingimmediate&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20130225

Disclosure: I'm friends with that Forbes blogger. He's a fellow board gamer.

I love the part where he points out that the Chaplian department didn't order it and didn't want it.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Machi4velli
SFN Regular

USA
854 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2013 :  21:24:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Machi4velli a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting that 25% of the military had "no religious preference" or "unknown," why would that be so? People not filling out paperwork, or would they have actually checked the no preference box?

http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/2009/11/12/raw-data-religious-preference-in-the-military/

"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people."
-Giordano Bruno

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, but the illusion of knowledge."
-Stephen Hawking

"Seeking what is true is not seeking what is desirable"
-Albert Camus
Go to Top of Page

Boron10
Religion Moderator

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2013 :  09:44:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Boron10 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Machi4velli

Interesting that 25% of the military had "no religious preference" or "unknown," why would that be so? People not filling out paperwork, or would they have actually checked the no preference box?

http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/2009/11/12/raw-data-religious-preference-in-the-military/
when a new service member enters the military, and periodically throughout his/her career, there is a battery of demographic forms to fill out. Some, like "religious preference" go on dog tags (in this case for confession/funeral rites &c). There are a large number of blocks to check (check only one), two of which are "no religious preference," which I had first checked more than 15 years ago, and "none," which I had checked during one of my periodic updates within the last 10 years.

I honestly don't recall if "none" was an option 15 years ago, but looking back now I think I would have selected that if it were an option. I also don't know what goes on your dog tag if you refuse to check any block; logic would imply "none," but we all know how logical military admin can be....

Looks like I need to do some investigating on Monday when my admin office opens back up again, eh? Anybody else know the answer?

ETA: interestingly enough, the data provided in the Anderson Cooper article does not list "none" as one of the options, though it does (correctly) list "atheist" and "agnostic.". I would assume, however, that "unknown" would be for those who neglected to check any box.
Edited by - Boron10 on 03/02/2013 10:08:12
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2013 :  06:08:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I find it curious and interesting that the ratios are all over the place between the different branches.

i.e. Army has , 0 agnostics out of 548,380
while Marines have, 1195 agnostics out of 203,944

Without knowing the circumstances and differences under which the data is collected I can't help but think something ain't right. If the data collection methodology between the branches is the cause, can they be compared side by side or not? These are not stats from UN forces or the french foreign legion, who are made up from a wide range of different countries and cultures. Non-US citizens can join the US military but is more limited as indicated below.

Link
Enlistment into the U.S. Navy, or any branch of the U.S. military, by citizens of countries other than the United States is limited to those foreign nationals who are legally residing in the United States and possess an Immigration and Naturalization Service Alien Registration Card (INS Form I-151/551 #65533; commonly known as a "Green Card"). Applicants must be between 17 and 35; meet the mental, moral, and physical standards for enlistment; and must speak, read and write English fluently.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

Machi4velli
SFN Regular

USA
854 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2013 :  20:49:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Machi4velli a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to think that's some incompatibility between the data sources or paperwork in different branches. Army particularly has a lot of 0s where other branches have hundreds or thousands.

"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people."
-Giordano Bruno

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, but the illusion of knowledge."
-Stephen Hawking

"Seeking what is true is not seeking what is desirable"
-Albert Camus
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2013 :  07:27:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I have to think that's some incompatibility between the data sources or paperwork in different branches. Army particularly has a lot of 0s where other branches have hundreds or thousands.
I can't imagine that with the Army having 548,380 that not one member didn't consider themselves an Atheist at the time they were responding to the survey but that's what their reported numbers state. It's exactly because of that and other examples you pointed out that I'm calling the numbers bullshit, at least. They are as believable as a $10 talking dog.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2013 :  18:39:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by sailingsoul

I can't imagine that with the Army having 548,380 that not one member didn't consider themselves an Atheist at the time they were responding to the survey but that's what their reported numbers state. It's exactly because of that and other examples you pointed out that I'm calling the numbers bullshit, at least. They are as believable as a $10 talking dog.

"In, as they say, deed." As a dear friend would say.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.