This asshole...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2013 :  07:06:47  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote

...thinks that declaring water to be a basic human right is 'extreme'. Further, he thinks that access to water should be privatized and handled by businessmen. I would love to see Anonymous run the biggest DDoS attack possible on Nestlé and screw them over but good.

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2013 :  09:45:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, time to fuck Nestle then...more of that attitude.

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.
Edited by - the_ignored on 04/20/2013 09:58:34
Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2013 :  12:00:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by the_ignored

Well, time to fuck Nestle then...more of that attitude.

Yeah, I've delivered parts to that Aberfoyle facility a few times. I also lay a bit of blame at the feet of the idiot trendies who keep buying bottled water, thus creating a huge demand, and making people like Brabeck think that he can pull shit like this. Maybe we should sit them all down and force them to watch the Penn & Teller Bullshit! episode on bottled water.

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2013 :  12:08:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Another thing that bugs me is that bottled water drinkers seem to be among the bigger litterbugs on the planet. I can't go anywhere without seeing discarded bottles.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2013 :  14:12:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by The Rat

Another thing that bugs me is that bottled water drinkers seem to be among the bigger litterbugs on the planet. I can't go anywhere without seeing discarded bottles.
Around here, the bottles are light enough that a stiff breeze can knock over and spread around a recycling bin full of 'em.

I just recently bought a 50-gallon, lidded recycling bin (with wheels!) because the bin provided by the recycling company was insufficient and I was spending a lot of time breaking down boxes and crushing cans and even then it wouldn't all fit.

As for bottled water in general, the water coming out of the taps at work is yucky. I'm buying the cheapest bottled stuff I can find, which right now is less than 10 cents per liter. We also have a good recycling program at work, so the bottles don't wind up in the wild.

The tap water at home is just fine.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2013 :  02:05:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The tap water in Atlanta, when I visited for Dragon*Con, had so much chlorine in it, I used bottled water for making tea and coffee.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2013 :  08:41:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the only circumstances where I drink bottled water are when I'm out and about with no taps or the like. Here in Brazil we tend to have filters at home that probably don't do anything but mother insists we need. Better than actually buying water.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2013 :  11:31:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

The tap water in Atlanta, when I visited for Dragon*Con, had so much chlorine in it, I used bottled water for making tea and coffee.

The city does that to increase the bottled water sales.;)
Places that sells coffee to go and restaurants don't use bottled water to make their coffee, I'm sure. Of course there can be an activated carbon filter installed on the water line feeding the brewing machines but they are only good for so many liters or gallons before the are ineffective. I wonder, for those coffee machines that have a filter, how often the are replaced w/new. I'm curious Dr. Mabuse, did that coffee or tea taste OK in the restaurants, etc., can you say?

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2013 :  14:03:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't drink much tea or coffee outside of the hotel rooms, but in those rare cases I believe I thought there was a difference. Otherwise I wouldn't have bothered buying bottled water for it in the first place. But, that's almost 4 years ago.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2013 :  01:20:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm beginning to think there's been a misunderstanding, or that Brabeck is a target of a smear campaign.

This is what I read in The Guardian: (emphasis below mine)
"I am the first one to say water is a human right. This human right is the five litres of water we need for our daily hydration and the 25 litres we need for minimum hygiene.

"This amount of water is the primary responsibility of every government to make available to every citizen of this world, but this amount of water accounts for 1.5% of the total water which is for all human usage.

"Where I have an issue is that the 98.5% of the water we are using, which is for everything else, is not a human right and because we treat it as one, we are using it in an irresponsible manner, although it is the most precious resource we have. Why? Because we don't want to give any value to this water. And we know very well that if something doesn't have a value, it's human behaviour that we use it in an irresponsible manner.

It would seem to me that his opinion on water is a bit more nuanced than I was lead to believe from the link in the opening post.

Edit: another link that may shed some light on his views on water:
http://www.water-challenge.com/post/2012/10/04/Water-is-a-human-right-%E2%80%93-but-not-a-free-good.aspx#.UXTznkqZdBl

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 04/22/2013 01:31:47
Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2013 :  06:33:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I'm beginning to think there's been a misunderstanding, or that Brabeck is a target of a smear campaign.

"I am the first one to say water is a human right. This human right is the five litres of water we need for our daily hydration and the 25 litres we need for minimum hygiene.

"This amount of water is the primary responsibility of every government to make available to every citizen of this world, but this amount of water accounts for 1.5% of the total water which is for all human usage.

"Where I have an issue is that the 98.5% of the water we are using, which is for everything else, is not a human right and because we treat it as one, we are using it in an irresponsible manner, although it is the most precious resource we have. Why? Because we don't want to give any value to this water. And we know very well that if something doesn't have a value, it's human behaviour that we use it in an irresponsible manner.

It would seem to me that his opinion on water is a bit more nuanced than I was lead to believe from the link in the opening post.

http://www.water-challenge.com/post/2012/10/04/Water-is-a-human-right-%E2%80%93-but-not-a-free-good.aspx#.UXTznkqZdBl

I'm not convinced. He does have a point that there is a lot of waste, but there are better ways (education being the obvious one, but these days big business is against education because they don't want people thinking for themselves) of dealing with it than privatizing the resource and having businessmen handle it. What if they decide that, in order to protect their resource, people should be barred from swimming in it? Or fishing and boating? All water belongs to everyone. not businessmen.

Edited by - The Rat on 04/22/2013 06:34:04
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2013 :  07:27:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I didn't drink much tea or coffee outside of the hotel rooms, but in those rare cases I believe I thought there was a difference. Otherwise I wouldn't have bothered buying bottled water for it in the first place. But, that's almost 4 years ago.
If the chlorine level is high enough, whatever that is, then it would affect the flavor. That I expect is a controllable factor of the municipal water providers. In the USA there are no quality standard enforcement for bottled water produced and sold within one state. The FDA has less than one inspector nationally and I'm not clear how the agency can have less that one inspector nationally if not zero, possibly someone with just the title. There are bottled waters that are sourced from municipal water systems or use wells just like municipals so what would be the difference there? From the tap to the bottle pure profit, that's one difference. Soda, minus everything except the water, at or close to the same price. Many may have seen Penna & Teller's "Bullshit" episode on Bottled Water which covers some facts on the topic.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2013 :  08:12:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by The Rat

I'm not convinced. He does have a point that there is a lot of waste, but there are better ways (education being the obvious one, but these days big business is against education because they don't want people thinking for themselves) of dealing with it than privatizing the resource and having businessmen handle it. What if they decide that, in order to protect their resource, people should be barred from swimming in it? Or fishing and boating? All water belongs to everyone. not businessmen.

I'll put it this way.

Water reclamaition on your property is a right. You dig a well, you can pump as much as you want/can.

You have water through a sanitary disctrict which gets treated, you have to pay for it. If you don't want to pay for it, dig a well. You don't get the benefits of a service without paying for it.

You choose to live in a dessert, then you will have to dig very deeply for your water. The stuff in streams are free.

Water as a basic human right only applies to that water that you collect/pump yourself. Otherwise it is an attempt to demand resources from others without paying for it.

"Who will help dig this well?", asked the owl.
Not I said the goat.
Not I said the rabbit
"Who will help install this pump?", asked the owl.
Not I said the goat.
Not I said the rabbit.
"Who will help pump this water?", asked the owl.
Not I said the goat.
Not I said the rabbit.
"Who will help drink the water?", asked the owl.
I will said the goat.
I will said the rabbit.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2013 :  11:15:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by sailingsoul

If the chlorine level is high enough, whatever that is, then it would affect the flavor. That I expect is a controllable factor of the municipal water providers.
<snip>
There are bottled waters that are sourced from municipal water systems or use wells just like municipals so what would be the difference there?
The bottled water was passed through a filter?
When used in a boiler, for tea or coffee, the difference wasn't as pronounced as with cold water. There was a huge difference between cold water from the tap (distinct chlorine taste) and from the bottle. I suppose some of the chlorine was boiled out of the water while making tea, but both I and my wife preferred making it from the bottled water.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

tw101356
Skeptic Friend

USA
333 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2013 :  22:24:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send tw101356 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I drink bottled water. I bought the bottle several years ago. It's getting a bit worn and may need to be replaced in another year.

Fortunately I have excellent tap water. New filtration/sterilization plant and aqueducts built about 7-8 years ago. Ozone system rather than chlorine. Ice cold water on demand all winter long. :D

Before this I used to keep a pitcher or two of water in the fridge. Open top let the chlorine out and it tasted better after a few hours. Just had to make sure garlicky food was well sealed.

- TW
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.